Conceptual explanation of Dot Product

In summary: This definition actually holds for any inner product space (see below).In summary, the dot product is a scalar quantity that measures the angle between two vectors and can be calculated by taking the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. This can also be represented algebraically and visually, making it easier to understand.
M.Hamilton
I'm a peer leader for a general physics lab and someone asked me to explain what the Dot Product meant conceptually.

I told him it was the projection of A onto B multiplied by the magnitude of B.

He looked even more confused after that; my questions are:

a) Did I explain it correctly?
b) Is there a better way to explain it?

Merle

Mathematics news on Phys.org
According to you the dot product is a vector, when it is in fact a scalar.

personally i don't go in for 'conceptual' explanations preferring to state its definition and uses, and you can pick anyone that suits you.

given two vectors a and b, a.b is the quantity |a||b|cos(t) where t is the angle from a to b in an anticlockwise sense.

roughly it measures the angle between two vectors then, that is a.b/|a||b| is the angle between them.

if b is a unit vector then it is the length of the component of a lying in the direction of b.

If you want a hand-wavy "explanation" (I don't know what else a "conceptual" explanation is) you could start with that:
a) The length of a vector is an intrinsic property of it, i.e, it does not depend upon the perspective or coordinate system you choose to use.
and
b) The angle between two vectors is an intrinsic property belonging to those two vectors, it does not depend upon the perspective or coordinate system you choose to use.

The dot product enables you to readily find the angle between two vectors once you know their individual lengths.

For vectors both of unit length, the dot product IS the cosine to the angle between them.

Another way to explain it is...

The dot product is simply the (continuous) function satisfying:

the product of a unit vector with itself to be 1.
the product of orthogonal vectors to be 0.
it's distributive.

It might help if you draw it out, and give an example. (but that's how I learn)

M.Hamilton said:
I'm a peer leader for a general physics lab and someone asked me to explain what the Dot Product meant conceptually.

I told him it was the projection of A onto B multiplied by the magnitude of B.

He looked even more confused after that; my questions are:

a) Did I explain it correctly?
b) Is there a better way to explain it?

Merle

Component. Not the projection.

paperwings said:
It might help if you draw it out, and give an example. (but that's how I learn)
Very good suggestion!
On the "elementary" level, few things are as educational as a good, visual representation!

You could explain it pure algebraically (this holds for higher dimensions):

Starting by the proof of the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality we have:
[tex]\left| {x \cdot y} \right| \leqslant \left\| x \right\|\left\| y \right\|[/tex]. This is of course the same as:
[tex]-\left\| x \right\|\left\| y \right\| \leqslant x \cdot y \leqslant \left\| x \right\|\left\| y \right\|[/tex]. Or:
[tex]-1 \leqslant \frac{x \cdot y}{\left\| x \right\|\left\| y \right\|} \leqslant 1[/tex], So that we know that [tex]\exists!\theta \in [0,\pi][/tex] so that
[tex]\frac{x \cdot y}{\left\| x \right\|\left\| y \right\|} = \cos\theta[/tex].

Only then we define [tex]\theta[/tex] to be the angle between the 2 vectors x and y in n-dimensional euclidean/unitarian space.

What is a dot product?

A dot product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar value as a result. It is also known as an inner product or scalar product.

How is the dot product calculated?

The dot product is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then adding all of those products together. It can also be calculated by taking the magnitude of one vector, multiplying it by the magnitude of the other vector, and then multiplying that by the cosine of the angle between the two vectors.

What is the significance of the dot product?

The dot product has many applications in mathematics and science. It can be used to find the angle between two vectors, the projection of one vector onto another, and the work done by a force on an object. It is also used in many engineering and physics equations.

What are some properties of the dot product?

The dot product is commutative, meaning that changing the order of the vectors being multiplied does not change the result. It is also distributive, meaning that it follows the distributive law. Additionally, the dot product of a vector with itself is equal to the square of its magnitude.

How is the dot product related to orthogonality?

Two vectors are considered orthogonal if their dot product is equal to zero. This means that they are perpendicular to each other. If the dot product is positive, the vectors are pointing in the same general direction, and if it is negative, they are pointing in opposite directions.