Dealing with Repetitive Thoughts: Understanding and Coping with OCD

• Medical
  • Thread starter kant
  • Start date
In summary: OCD.In summary, the speaker is describing a feeling of exhaustion and repetitive behavior which is causing them emotional distress. They believe that this is an illness called "Pure Obsessional OCD" and that it is relatively common, especially if the compulsions involve mental compulsions rather than observable behavior. They recommend that if you are experiencing symptoms of OCD, you should see a psychiatrist.
kant
I don t know what is happen to me, but it is getting very discomforting. when i confront something like a problem or situcaton, i would constantly repeat the problem and situation to myself over, and over again to cleaify the matter. Everytime, i repeat something to myself; i try to clearify the matter at a deeper level, but because of the vagueness inherent in language, that preciseness i want can never be attain. I still repeat myself like a robot. I know this feeling is irrational, but i can t stop it. This repetitive acts is exhausting me, and driving me to an emotional breakdown. What is this illness i am having? and What can i do about it? Are there any links on this behavior?

Biology news on Phys.org
Aw crud, I recently listened to a neurobiology lecture that discussed this sort of thing, but I don't recall a specific name attached to it (other than "obsessive-compulsive disorder"...but I think that term is probably too broad for what you're talking about). I do recall that many 'normal' people go through little repetitions like that (not necessarily repeating problems...could be anything...like triple- or quadrouple-checking that a letter properly went down a mailbox or that the stove is completely turned off). But when it starts becoming 'exhausting' or causing an 'emotional breakdown', then it may be good to talk to your doctor about it. It's not that uncommon. Links? Could try keywords like neurobiology & OCD. Sorry I'm not much help here.

^ well, thank you. I went to wikipedia, and check out "Obsessive-compulsive disorder", and i found much parallels to my own problems.
"...but I think that term is probably too broad for what you're talking about).

It is just one of the OCP variant, called Pure Obsessional OCD:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure_Obsessional_OCD

Last edited by a moderator:
'Pure Os' may be more rare than some people think, because if a person has mental compulsions (as opposed to compulsions involving observable behavior, like cleaning), these may easily go unnoticed. It's still best to not jump to conclusions, especially if you plan on trying to change whatever is happening. If you want to investigate it further, I know a thing or two about OCD (I have most likely been suffering from OCD myself for about 5 years - though I'm recovering now). If you give some more details, I could perhaps offer some advice. Walking through one typical episode would help, focusing on what you're feeling, thinking, and doing at each step. What you're experiencing could be several things - and perfectly 'normal'. Also, a diagnosis would depend on how severe it is (how long, how often, how upsetting, how much it interferes with your life, etc.), so this info would help. But I think that figuring out what exactly is happening is the most important thing if you want to treat it; Whether your symptoms are extreme enough to meet the 'official requirements' of whichever disorder it might be is secondary, IMO.

Ha, I just took a look at that link. The definition they give of Pure O isn't the one I was referring to; They do include mental compulsions.

Last edited:
If you give some more details, I could perhaps offer some advice. Walking through one typical episode would help, focusing on what you're feeling, thinking, and doing at each step.

I think i had this illness for the past 5 years as well, and only new do i know it is called pure O OCD. I would consume hours( or days) repeat a words, phrases or mental scenario for comfort. Now that i know what it is called, i think i have much greater control over this matter.

Well, I wish you the best then. Reading about individual cases can usually give you more insight into a disorder than can a general description. I would suggest that as a next step. If it is OCD, they can get you headed in a good direction. You can find them many places online, or you can pick up a book on OCD; I recommend .

Vagueness in language? No problem - Just pick up the trade of neology, and just start creating words for those ideas you're trying to bring under precise focus.

If you suspect you have a disorder such as OCD, the best thing you can do is schedule an appointment with a psychiatrist (not a psychologist...a psychiatrist has an M.D. and can prescribe medications). They can assess you and determine if you really do have that disorder, or something else, or nothing to worry about at all. If they do diagnose the disorder, there are medications they can prescribe to ease the symptoms. One of my students has OCD and is on medication for it, and I only occassionally notice that she's doing something characteristic of the disorder. She claims it was far worse before she started taking medication, so it seems to work well. But the first step is getting the evaluation by someone qualified to make the diagnosis to find out just what it is.

A heterosexual man is making love with his wife when the name of his male best friend happens to flash through his mind.
A loving mother spots a pillow and has a momentary apprehension of infanticide.

A young bachelor checks a mirror prior to a date and feels a surge of confidence, but shortly afterward cannot recall what exactly led to that feeling of pride.

An aspiring painter glances at one of her works and experiences a sense of insecurity about her abilities.

A son is eating a cake his mother made for him with great care and love. He suddenly gets an idea how nonsensical it would to be to throw the cake into trash instead of enjoying it and then telling his mother that he enjoyed it.

A passenger is waiting on a train platform while the train is coming. He has a thought of what if he did a sudden erroneous movement and fell under the train.
I have these "spikes" all the time and always had, I don't feel bad about anything. Do I have Pure-O OCD? So not everybody thinks like this?

I don't like the ones involving me killing loved ones, or ones that involve me dying. Well, that's kind of obvious.

These ruminations can be highly scary. For the example with the train, the passenger would normally react with stepping back a bit to be more safe and forgets the matter. However a Pure O sufferer after stepping back starts worrying about what if these thoughts actually increase the probability that he makes the erroneous movement? After longer time he starts worrying about the time spent with these thoughts and starts worrying if persisent intrusive thoughts of this kind actually cannot cause him a temporary impulse of disabled judgment when the train comes next time and him jumping into the rails actively.
Ah ha! So I am not Pure-O! The ruminations must strongly interfere with my life to be a condition. Yes?

If I'm right, I can say that I remember a few years ago I was on the edge of falling into Pure O OCD. Not fun.

Last edited:

1. What is OCD?

OCD stands for Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, which is a mental health disorder characterized by recurring, unwanted thoughts (obsessions) and/or repetitive behaviors (compulsions).

2. What are repetitive thoughts?

Repetitive thoughts, also known as obsessions, are persistent, intrusive thoughts, urges, or images that cause distress or anxiety. These thoughts can be irrational and uncontrollable, and can greatly impact daily functioning.

3. How can I cope with repetitive thoughts?

There are several ways to cope with repetitive thoughts associated with OCD. These can include therapy, medication, and self-help techniques such as mindfulness, relaxation techniques, and cognitive behavioral therapy.

4. Is OCD a curable disorder?

OCD is a chronic disorder, meaning it cannot be completely cured. However, it can be effectively managed through a combination of therapy, medication, and lifestyle changes. With proper treatment, people with OCD can lead fulfilling lives.

5. What are some common misconceptions about OCD?

Some common misconceptions about OCD include the belief that it is simply a personality quirk or that it is easy to overcome with willpower. However, OCD is a serious mental health disorder that requires professional treatment. It is not a choice or a character flaw. Additionally, not all people with OCD have visible compulsive behaviors, as many can have purely internal obsessions.