Spinning carnival ride - need to find static friction coefficient, HELP

In summary, to find the minimum coefficient of static friction in a "Rotor-ride" at a carnival, where the room radius is 4.7 m and the rotation frequency is 0.5 revolutions per second, the equation v^2/r = coeff X g can be used. However, the coefficient must be multiplied by the centripetal force (m X v^2/r), not the weight force (mg). Therefore, the correct equation is coeff X m X v^2/r = mg. After plugging in the given values, the correct coefficient is found to be 0.211.
confusedbyphysics
Hello! I have this problem I must submit by tomorrow 11 PM and I am getting the wrong answer and cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong. Any help would be great. Here is the problem:

"In a "Rotor-ride" at a carnival, people are rotated in a cylindrically walled "room." (See Fig. 5-35.) The room radius is 4.7 m, and the rotation frequency is 0.5 revolutions per second when the floor drops out. What is the minimum coefficient of static friction so that the people will not slip down?"

My work so far:

T = 1/f, so T (period) = 1/.5 =2. To find velocity, 2(pi)(r)/T, so 2(pi)(4.7)/2 = 14.765 m/s

3 Forces on the people in the spinner. A static friction force that goes in toward the circle made by the ride, and a weight force that goes down (mg) and a Normal Force that goes up. No movement on the y-axis so mg=Normal Force.

Static Friction = coef. of stat fric X Normal Force. or coef X mg.

F = ma, a = v^2/r so F = m X v^2/r

Set m X v^2/r = coeff. X mg...so mass cancels out leaving v^2/r = coeff X g. Then I plug in numbers (14.765)^2/4.7 = coeff X 9.8 I get for the coefficient 4.73 which is the WRONG ANSWER!

Anyone have any clue what I am doing wrong? I would appreciate help so much, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have your coefficient on the wrong side of the equation. Can you see why it's the wrong side?

Isn't the coefficient multiplied with the normal force (or mg)? What do you mean it is on the wrong side?

The force of friction is proportional to the normal force and the proportionality constant is the coefficient of friction. The normal force is the centripetal force and NOT the weight of the person.

So normal force does not equal mg. How would I find the normal force then?

Thank you for your help BTW.

The normal force is the centripetal force which is the mass times the centripetal acceleration.

so normal force = m X v^2/r = m X 14.45^2/4.7 = 44.426 X m

coeff X 44.426 X m = mg

44.426 X coeff = 9.8

coeff = .221?

EDIT: nope, I'm wrong again :frown: oops i typed wrong velocity in

Last edited:
OK! I got it right, it is .211 (once I typed the right velocity in, getting sleepy, LOL).

Thank you so much for your help, Tide. I see what I was doing wrong now.

Looks good - but I am not responsible for numbers! :)

1. What is the purpose of finding the static friction coefficient for a spinning carnival ride?

The static friction coefficient helps determine the minimum amount of force required to keep an object (in this case, the carnival ride) from moving while it is in motion. This is important for ensuring the safety and stability of the ride.

2. How is the static friction coefficient measured for a spinning carnival ride?

The static friction coefficient is typically measured through experiments where the ride is spun at different speeds and the force required to keep it from moving is recorded. This data can then be used to calculate the coefficient using the formula: μs = F/N, where μs is the static friction coefficient, F is the force, and N is the normal force.

3. What factors can affect the static friction coefficient for a spinning carnival ride?

The static friction coefficient can be affected by various factors such as the surface of the ride (smooth or rough), the weight of the riders, the speed of the ride, and the temperature and humidity of the environment. Any changes in these factors can alter the coefficient and affect the stability of the ride.

4. How can the static friction coefficient be used to improve the safety of a spinning carnival ride?

By accurately determining the static friction coefficient, engineers can ensure that the ride is operating within safe limits and can make necessary adjustments to maintain its stability. This can prevent accidents and injuries caused by the ride losing control or tipping over.

5. Are there any safety regulations or standards for the static friction coefficient of spinning carnival rides?

Yes, there are safety regulations and standards set by organizations such as the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions (IAAPA) and the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) for the design and operation of amusement rides, including the measurement and maintenance of the static friction coefficient. These regulations help ensure the safety of riders and prevent accidents.