Wave-Shaped Bands: Connections & Observations

• Thread starter fossizzlized
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, the conversation is discussing the possible connection between wave-shaped stripes seen in clouds and tea foam, as well as the formation of ridges in sand near beaches. The participants also mention possible connections to fish stripes and a "face" on the moon, and discuss the role of different particles and wave motion in producing these stripes. They also mention searching for a term to describe this phenomenon, with one participant suggesting "mackerel sky." There is also some speculation about the potential genetic causes of these stripes.
fossizzlized
Hi,

I've made some observations on cloud formations and other wave-shaped stripes. I'm trying to form a connection between these phenomenon.

These stripes are very visible in the form of clouds (altocumulus undulatus). Similar looking stripes occur in tea foam when the cup is rocked lightly. Could there be a connection between the clouds and tea? Both examples involve two separate movable phases with limited solubility. The coffee grounds are entirely insoluble but can move around within the water.

Does anyone at PF know of a name describing these phenomenon or modeling done on them? I'm still looking for a picture of ridges in sand near beaches.

http://australiasevereweather.com/photography/acundu01.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tea wave-stripes

Attachments

• tea02.jpg
    tea02.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 571
coffee grounds inside dishpan

Attachments

• coffee0.jpg
    coffee0.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 524
fish stripes

Attachments

• fish0.jpg
    fish0.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 560
I think I was told as a child that these were "mackerel sky". Some old folklore.

Could there be a connection between the tea and clouds. Yes, the same forces of nature is acting on vapor deposited on particles, whether it be particles in your tea or dust particles in the sky.

I would give up on the fish strips, this is due to genetics. I mean humans have a face and there is a face on the moon, but these are unrelated. Right?

Nautica

The connection is not exclusively between vapor particles, but between any two types of particles. The requirements are:

1. Different densities
2. Wave motion moving them
3. particles can move and mix

Have you seen the coffee grounds image? It's something I noticed while washing dishes. You might try the experiement next time you're cleaning up after dinner. The same thing seems to be happening on the sands of a beach beneath 3-4 inches of water.

Do you see any other possible connections?

Yes, there is a "face" on the moon, hehehe :)... I'm thinking that this might be a mechanism of producing those stripes. A pigmentation hormone could be produced through the organism's entire body, and then pushed into these wave shapes by this phenomenon. Or, I could just be overanalyzing... :)

Thank you, selfAdjoint for the phrase "mackerel sky." Now I have more to search for...

I would suspect that the makerel strippes are due to a epistasic genes. One allele produce one color another produces another, but it takes a 2nd gene that will "turn on" or Turn off" the color gene, if off it will be white when on it can be one of the various colors.

Nautica

1. What are wave-shaped bands?

Wave-shaped bands are a type of pattern or structure that can be observed in various natural and man-made systems. They consist of a series of repeated, wave-like shapes that are connected or overlapped in some way.

2. How are wave-shaped bands formed?

Wave-shaped bands can be formed through a variety of processes, such as the interaction of different types of waves (e.g. sound waves, water waves), the movement of particles through a medium, or the interference of multiple sources of waves.

3. What are some examples of wave-shaped bands in nature?

Some examples of wave-shaped bands in nature include sand dunes, ocean waves, cloud formations, and the patterns on animal skins or shells. They can also be seen in the growth patterns of certain plants and in the behavior of some animals.

4. How are wave-shaped bands useful in scientific research?

Wave-shaped bands can provide valuable insights into the underlying processes and mechanisms of various natural phenomena. By studying these patterns and how they form, scientists can better understand the behavior of waves and the properties of different materials and systems.

5. What are some potential applications of wave-shaped bands?

Wave-shaped bands have potential applications in a wide range of fields, such as engineering, materials science, and biology. For example, they could be used to design more efficient structures or to study the movement of fluids through different types of materials. They could also be applied in the development of new technologies, such as wave energy converters or advanced imaging techniques.