Concentration/dilution problem

• Thread starter Benzoate
  • Start date
In summary: and part b)? in summary, the homework statement is that when mixing two solutions, the final concentration is the same regardless of the initial concentration of each solution.
Benzoate

Homework Statement

What is [H1+] in a solution prepared by mixing the following solutions

* 21.3 mL of 6.40 M HCl
* 30.8 mL of 5.20 M HCl
* 15.8 mL of 7.50 M HCl
* 34.6 mL of water

Homework Equations

C(final)= C(initial) * V(initial)/V(final). I think V(final) will be the volume of H2O for all 3 concentrations

The Attempt at a Solution

C(final,1)= 7.50 M*(15.8 mL/34.6mL) = 3.42 M
C(final,2) = (5.20 M) * (21.3 mL/34.6mL) = 3.20 M
C(final,3)= 6.40 M * (30.8 mL/34.6mL)= 5.70 M

C(final,total)= 5.70 M + 3.20 M + 3.42 M = 12.32

I don't think I calculated the concentration of [H+] correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Benzoate said:
...I think V(final) will be the volume of H2O for all 3 concentrations.

You need to correct this before you go any further. There are four liquids given in your problem. Assume no change of volume due to mixing. For example, 54 mL and 65 mL of two solutions combined will produce 119 mL of solution.

Next you need to find the number of moles of acid added from each different solution.

Express the concentration in terms of M (moles/liter).

chemisttree said:
You need to correct this before you go any further. There are four liquids given in your problem. Assume no change of volume due to mixing. For example, 54 mL and 65 mL of two solutions combined will produce 119 mL of solution.

Next you need to find the number of moles of acid added from each different solution.

so the final volume is going to be the same for all 3 concentrations?

here is my attempted solution:

C(final ,1) =C(initial, 1) * (V(initial, 1)/V(final)

C(final ,2) =C(initial, 2) * (V(initial, 2)/V(final)

C(final ,3) =C(initial, 3) * (V(initial, 1)/V(final)

C(final , total) =C(final ,1) + C(final ,2) + C(final ,3)

chemisttree said:

Benzoate said:
so the final volume is going to be the same for all 3 concentrations?

here is my attempted solution:

C(final ,1) =C(initial, 1) * (V(initial, 1)/V(final)

C(final ,2) =C(initial, 2) * (V(initial, 2)/V(final)

C(final ,3) =C(initial, 3) * (V(initial, 1)/V(final)

for the concentration of H2O , what do you assumed about the initial concentration of H2O ?

Another way to think of it would be to find the number of moles of HCl contributed by each of the four solutions.

#moles = concentration(moles/liter) X Volume (liters)

Simply do this math for each of the solutions and sum the moles of HCl. Add the volume for each of the solutions to determine Vfinal.

Remember, you are combining all of these solutions into one final solution. With that in mind, what significance does "C(final ,3)" or "C(final ,2)" or "C(final ,1)" have? Why are you performing this calculation? It doesn't make sense.

and this,
is not correct. I have never seen any expression like this... anywhere. Think about it. If I were to take a 100 mL solution of 3.5M HCl and split it into 20, 5 mL solutions of 3.5M HCl, would recombining them give me 100 mL of (20 X 3.5M HCl)? Or would it only give me back the original 100 mL of 3.5M HCl?

Is the answer .13632g correct for part a)

1. What is a concentration/dilution problem?

A concentration/dilution problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves calculating the concentration or dilution of a solution. It usually involves determining the amount of solute or solvent needed to create a desired concentration or dilution.

2. How do you calculate concentration?

Concentration can be calculated by dividing the amount of solute by the total volume of the solution. This can be expressed as a percentage, molarity, or molality, depending on the units used.

3. How do you calculate dilution?

Dilution can be calculated by dividing the initial concentration by the final concentration and multiplying by the initial volume. This equation is represented as C1V1 = C2V2, where C1 is the initial concentration, V1 is the initial volume, C2 is the final concentration, and V2 is the final volume.

4. What units are typically used for concentration and dilution?

Concentration is usually expressed in units such as moles per liter (molarity) or grams per liter (mass concentration). Dilution is typically expressed in units of volume, such as liters or milliliters.

5. Why are concentration and dilution important in science?

Concentration and dilution are important in science because they allow us to accurately measure and control the amount of a substance in a solution. They are necessary for many experiments and processes, such as creating medications, conducting chemical reactions, and analyzing samples.