Finding the Initial Velocity for a 0.8m Volleyball Jump

In summary: Can someone help me out with this one too so I can practice?In summary, students are helping students with homework.
psmarz

Homework Statement

In order for a volleyball player to jump vertically upward a distance of 0.8 meters, his initial velocity must be?

Homework Equations

s=v0t + .5at2

vf= v0 + at

The Attempt at a Solution

I missed the question the other day on a practice and it has been forever since I messed with this material. Those equations were given as well as the answer, the only problem is I do not know what the letters represent or even how to solve for anything with only information of 0.8 meters.

Could someone help me learn this and what the expressions mean so I can solve it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Keep in mind the direction of g in reference to the player's direction of motion, i.e. positive or negative?

Also, do you have another variable besides v0 that you need but don't have? Try to solve it in terms of another variable, which kills two birds with one stone.

EDIT: Oh, and the variables mean

s, the displacement
v0, the initial velocity
t, the change in time
a, the acceleration of the body (g = 9.8 m/s^2)
vf, the final velocity

Always find out what the key variables mean in a lesson before solving the problems.

ooo thank you so much for laying out what the variables mean...let me see what I can do now...Let me try and have a crack at this again.

Displacement is the same as distance in this case. Your distance, vertical, is given to be 0.8 m.

g IS your acceleration a.

EDIT: Oh, and I saw your other thread. You must be lacking a few concepts without an instructor or textbook... When a body reaches a maximum height (i.e., it falls down instantly afterwards) in vertical motion, the velocity (final) at that instant is equal to zero.

Ya...I have that down...but I am having a problem...lets see...

vf= v0 + at
so
0 = v0+9.8t

or am I doing gravity wrong?

Cause I solved for v0 and moved over to the other equation...

0.8 = -9.8t2 + .5(9.8)(t2)
.8 = -9.8t2 + 4.9t2
(Now if I already have not made an error with a before this is where I am getting stuck)

.8 = -4.9t2

I cannot remember how to get t alone from this point (bad I know)

psmarz said:
Ya...I have that down...but I am having a problem...lets see...

vf= v0 + at
so
0 = v0+9.8t

or am I doing gravity wrong?

As your velocity approaches zero from a nonzero number, does it decrease or increase? This change in velocity is otherwise known as acceleration. Rethink putting +9.8.

Ok so it is

0.8 = 9.8t2+(.5)(-9.8)(t2
0.8 = 4.9t2
.163 = t2
.4 = t0 = v0 - 9.8(.4)
0 = v 0 - 3.92
3.92 = v0Now all I need is more than this one problem to practice lol...you are awesome, thank you, thank you, thank you.

Students helping students :D

By the way, you could have done the problem in 2 steps instead of 3 steps if you had solved for t instead of solving for v0 first. Generally with algebra, to get rid of a variable you solve for that variable.

Elbobo said:
Students helping students :D

By the way, you could have done the problem in 2 steps instead of 3 steps if you had solved for t instead of solving for v0 first. Generally with algebra, to get rid of a variable you solve for that variable.

Thank you...lol...good thing about me getting stuck on this equation...

A) Now I know what these variables mean...
B) Memorized some formulas lol

I will try making up some problems later and solve in 2 steps...

It has been sooo long since I messed with math or anything.

1. What is the equation for calculating initial velocity for a 0.8m volleyball jump?

The equation for calculating initial velocity for a 0.8m volleyball jump is V = √(2gh), where V is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height of the jump (0.8m).

2. How do you measure the height of the volleyball jump?

The height of the volleyball jump can be measured using a measuring tape or ruler. The person performing the jump should stand next to a wall or a tall object, and reach up as high as they can with one hand while keeping their feet on the ground. The distance from the ground to the highest point they can reach is the height of the jump.

3. What is the value of acceleration due to gravity?

Acceleration due to gravity, denoted as g, is a constant value of 9.8 m/s² on Earth. This means that for every second an object falls, it will increase in speed by 9.8 m/s.

4. Can initial velocity for a 0.8m volleyball jump be negative?

Yes, the initial velocity for a 0.8m volleyball jump can be negative. This would indicate that the jump was performed in the downward direction, such as during a landing or descent.

5. How does air resistance affect the calculation of initial velocity for a 0.8m volleyball jump?

Air resistance can affect the calculation of initial velocity for a 0.8m volleyball jump by slowing down the rate at which the jumper falls. However, this effect is usually small and can be ignored for most practical purposes.