What is the course-load for a student studying physics, math, or engineering like?

In summary, the speaker is an electrical engineering student who spends an average of 4 hours per day attending classes and also studies for 3-4 hours on weeknights and a few hours on weekends. They typically take 15-19 credit hours per semester and attend a university.
land_of_ice
How many hours do you attend class / lecture each day?
Do you study each day?
How many hours per week do you study for your courses ?
How many courses do you take per semester ?
Do you go to a University or a jc level school ?

Physics news on Phys.org

Well being an electrical engineering student I remembered the subjects were easy in 1st year and I didn't have to worry to achieve good grades. But from the 2nd year I really had to concentrate hard due to the increasing difficulty level. And,
I usually have 4-5 hours of classes 5 days a week
In fact I can't study everyday. But I try.
In a loose estimate I spend 4/5 hours per day for my electrical subjects. ( I have personal interest in pure math and theoretical physics. So I reserve a major portion from my study time for them.)
Usually I take 15-19 credit hours per semester and that makes roughly 5-6 subjects
And yeah I go to university.
Anyway I guess this inquiring thread is for your future selection of field in term of load?

An average day is 4 hours of class.

Yes, and I would not be able to get through my classes if I didn't do it everyday.

At least 3-4 hours on weeknights (including homework) and then a few hours or so on weekends because I have no life.

4-5 classes are average, although I'll be taking 6 next semester because of a required seminar. This also depends on whether most of your classes are 3 credits or 4 and what the credit limit is at your school.

University

1. What is the typical number of courses a student takes per semester for a physics, math, or engineering degree?

The typical course-load for a student studying physics, math, or engineering is around 4-5 courses per semester. This can vary depending on the specific program and the student's individual schedule.

2. Are these courses typically more difficult and time-consuming compared to other majors?

Yes, courses in physics, math, and engineering tend to be more challenging and time-consuming due to the complex and abstract nature of the subjects. Students in these majors may need to spend more time studying and completing assignments compared to other majors.

3. Is it common for students to take summer courses to lighten their course-load?

Yes, it is common for students in these majors to take summer courses to lighten their course-load during the regular school year. This can also help students graduate on time or even earlier.

4. How does the course-load for a student in a dual degree program in physics and engineering compare to a single degree program?

The course-load for a dual degree program in physics and engineering is typically more rigorous and time-consuming compared to a single degree program. This is because students are required to complete the course requirements for both majors within a shorter period of time.

5. Can students in these majors expect to have a heavy course-load every semester?

Yes, students in these majors can generally expect to have a heavy course-load every semester. This is because there are often many required courses and prerequisites that must be completed in a specific sequence, leaving little room for electives or breaks.