Do any of you have a phd in string theory/QED/Theoretical particle physics?

In summary, I would recommend that you consider studying at Cambridge. It has a high number of students who are interested in mathematical physics, and the lectures are usually very interesting. The job prospects are also not very bad, but you will need to be very motivated to succeed in this field.
Tensor_law
I am interested in going down that path, and i was wondering if you have any advice? I mean like which schools i should aim for. I am aware that this would be better placed in academic advice, but no one gives advice about mathematical physics there, they all say to do something with better job prospects, like optics or matter. But to me, those options seem boring and very derivative!

Physics news on Phys.org
Tensor_law said:
I am interested in going down that path, and i was wondering if you have any advice? I mean like which schools i should aim for. I am aware that this would be better placed in academic advice, but no one gives advice about mathematical physics there, they all say to do something with better job prospects, like optics or matter. But to me, those options seem boring and very derivative!
I am not sure which part of the globe you come from but in Europe, it doesn't really matter that much which university you go to (although there are distinctions of course). If you are really motivated, then you should be able to do it largely on your own. Mathematical physics is a beautiful area and indeed offers a unique perspective both on physics and mathematics. However, it's job prospects are meager (there were better times)... if you would do this, then given my own experience, I would follow some courses on financial mathematics or some extra actuary studies. This basically gives you a safety net in the financial sector (and still allows you to use your skills) if you should not have the luck to get a job in academia.

Careful

I'd try the part III of Cambridge not because of the contents (more or less the same in all campuses) nor the job prospects (negligible), but because of the number -and, I expect, quality- of students. Some years, you can find up to 80 students in the QFT lectures, which is encouraging (compare to six or ten students in a average postgraduate course).

arivero said:
I'd try the part III of Cambridge not because of the contents (more or less the same in all campuses) nor the job prospects (negligible), but because of the number -and, I expect, quality- of students. Some years, you can find up to 80 students in the QFT lectures, which is encouraging (compare to six or ten students in a average postgraduate course).

I'd say the QFT lectures this year had about 150+ students taking it and the AQFT had perhaps 100.

latentcorpse said:
I'd say the QFT lectures this year had about 150+ students taking it and the AQFT had perhaps 100.

Hmm 150+ is perhaps too many! It seems that word-of-mouth is very amplifyed on internet, nowadays.

1. What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to reconcile the concepts of general relativity and quantum mechanics. It proposes that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are not point-like particles, but rather tiny strings that vibrate at different frequencies. These vibrations determine the properties of particles, such as mass and charge.

2. What is QED?

QED stands for Quantum Electrodynamics, and it is a theoretical framework that describes the interactions between electrically charged particles. It is a quantum field theory, meaning it explains how particles and fields interact at a subatomic level. QED is one of the most successful theories in physics, accurately predicting the behavior of particles and their interactions in the electromagnetic force.

3. How does string theory relate to QED and theoretical particle physics?

String theory is a candidate for a unified theory of physics, meaning it aims to explain all the fundamental forces and particles in the universe. It incorporates the principles of QED and other theories, such as general relativity and the standard model of particle physics, in its framework. It also offers potential solutions to some of the unanswered questions in these fields, such as the unification of gravity with the other forces.

4. What is the significance of having a PhD in string theory/QED/theoretical particle physics?

Having a PhD in these fields means that one has a deep understanding of the underlying principles and mathematical framework of these theories. It also means that the individual has conducted original research and made contributions to the field, which can lead to further advancements and understanding in the scientific community.

5. Are there any real-world applications of string theory/QED/theoretical particle physics?

While string theory and QED are still theoretical frameworks, they have potential real-world applications. For example, string theory may provide insights into the behavior of black holes, which could have implications for space exploration. QED has also been used to develop technologies such as MRI machines and particle accelerators. Additionally, the principles of theoretical particle physics have led to advancements in fields such as materials science and computing.