Harmonic Dampening inside of a combustion chamber

In summary, Darren Levine recommends googling "combustor rumble", looking at NASA Technical Reports Server, and checking out aRocket.
Algorithmic
Could anyone recommend any literature on harmonic dampening inside of a combustion chamber (augmented injector plates and chamber geometry to reduce vibration)? It seems resources are rather scarce on the subject so if anyone knows of any websites, books, papers, etc. that might be helpful, I would be very appreciative.

Also, does anyone know of a good active forum dedicated to full size rocketry? I've been running across nothing but model forums in my search which doesn't pertain to my current goal.

-Darren Levine

Physics news on Phys.org
Try googling for "combustor rumble", if you haven't done that already.

But the only "hard information" I have come across on this is commercially confidential, which isn't any help to you, unfortunately.

Well, I think in the old days, 99% of the failures blew up on the launch pad as they exceeded hoped-for nozzle critical limit failure limits. I don't even know if that's the right terminology.

I'm not a rocket scientist, but I know quite a few of these sorts of folks who are experts in nozzle geometries live and work there. At NASA.

Algorithmic said:
Could anyone recommend any literature on harmonic dampening inside of a combustion chamber (augmented injector plates and chamber geometry to reduce vibration)? It seems resources are rather scarce on the subject so if anyone knows of any websites, books, papers, etc. that might be helpful, I would be very appreciative.

If I understand your question properly, you're asking about Helmholtz Resonators and such.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmholtz_resonance

You might check out NASA Technical Report Server:

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp

or Defense Technical Information Center

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/

Algorithmic said:
Also, does anyone know of a good active forum dedicated to full size rocketry? I've been running across nothing but model forums in my search which doesn't pertain to my current goal.

Have you checked out aRocket:

http://exrocketry.net/mailman/listinfo/arocket

Cheers,
Ed L

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help guys, this will definitely help me move in the right direction! I'll do some more research to see if I can get a result.
Thanks,
Darren Levine

1. What is harmonic dampening inside of a combustion chamber?

Harmonic dampening is a technique used to reduce vibration and noise levels inside a combustion chamber. It involves the use of materials or designs that absorb or dissipate the energy of the vibrations, resulting in a smoother and quieter operation.

2. Why is harmonic dampening important in a combustion chamber?

Harmonic dampening is important because excessive vibration and noise levels can have negative effects on the performance and longevity of the combustion chamber. It can also cause discomfort for the operators and potentially lead to equipment failure.

3. How is harmonic dampening achieved in a combustion chamber?

Harmonic dampening can be achieved through various methods, such as using vibration-absorbing materials, adding dampening devices, or modifying the design of the combustion chamber to reduce resonance.

4. What are the benefits of using harmonic dampening in a combustion chamber?

The benefits of using harmonic dampening in a combustion chamber include reduced vibration and noise levels, improved performance and efficiency, and increased lifespan of the equipment. It can also create a safer and more comfortable working environment for operators.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using harmonic dampening in a combustion chamber?

One potential drawback of harmonic dampening is the added cost and complexity involved in implementing it. It may also require regular maintenance and replacement of dampening materials. Additionally, excessive dampening can affect the combustion process and potentially decrease the power output of the chamber.