Have we changed the time limit for edits again?

• Thread starter Fredrik
  • Start date
In summary, Greg changed the edit time to 2 hours in order to prevent cheaters from asking a homework question and then deleting all traces. There are still opportunities for people like Evo to ask for help if they need it.
Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I can't edit the posts I made 4-4.5 hours ago. No, I don't want to edit them. I'm just wondering why I don't see an edit button.

Edit: At least I can still edit this one. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Fredrik said:
I can't edit the posts I made 4-4.5 hours ago. No, I don't want to edit them. I'm just wondering why I don't see an edit button.

Edit: At least I can still edit this one. :smile:

Yes. Greg changed the edit time to 2 hours. This is in order to prevent cheaters from asking a homework question and then deleting all traces.

Uhh...I really don't like this. I thought the previous 11 hours and 40 minutes was already close to the minimum time I'd be OK with. I'm all for creating problems for cheaters, but it will also create problems for people like you and me almost every day. OK, not you anymore, now that you have superpowers, but I expect to be annoyed by this almost every day.

But thank you for answering.

Fredrik said:
Uhh...I really don't like this. I thought the previous 11 hours and 40 minutes was already close to the minimum time I'd be OK with. I'm all for creating problems for cheaters, but it will also create problems for people like you and me almost every day. OK, not you anymore, now that you have superpowers, but I expect to be annoyed by this almost every day.

This has been taken into account but we don't think it will be a major inconvenience for regular users. If it proves to be (e.g. if it becomes common for people have to repost with corrections) we can think through it again.

Ryan_m_b said:
... but we don't think it will be a major inconvenience for regular users. ...

I'm a little worried about this as well. But I'm an OCD user, not regular.

Fredrik said:

Fredrik, if you have edits to make, I'll be happy to do them for you. You still have two hours after making your post to proof read and make corrections. Just send me a pm about what your special need is that requires you to make these late edits and I'm sure we can work something out.

Thank you for the offer Evo. I don't need to edit any of my posts from today, but I might as well take this opportunity to ask you to change a 0 to a 1 in this post, which I still link to once in a while. There are two indented lines that end with 'send the reply "0"'. The 0 that ends the second line should be a 1.

I think the new time limit won't be much of a problem for users who just ask questions, but it will be more of a problem for those of us who like to answer questions. Mainly because we don't like to give incorrect answers, or explanations that are hard to follow.

I was a bit skeptical when the time was lowered to 700 minutes as well, but that's at least enough time to fix late night mistakes in the morning (something I do at least a few times a week), and morning mistakes in the afternoon. Now if I leave the computer to do something else for a while, when I come back, it will probably be too late.

When I expressed my concern back then, several mentors offered to help with edits, as you are doing now, and they told me that if I want to edit something after the time is up, all I have to do is to use the report button to ask a mentor for assistance. I don't believe that really works. I'm not embarrassed to do that 3-4 times a year, but I think you guys would get tired of me fast if I started doing it every day. :smile:

Anyway, I don't really know how much of a problem this is going to be. The 700 minute limit caused a lot less problems than I thought it would, so maybe this will too.

Fixed.

Thank you.

Keep giving us feedback Fredrik, we can keep tweaking it to find the sweet spot.

Fredrik, I also volunteer to make any edits you want me to make. Just pm or report the thread, and I'll be happy to edit posts. The last we want is to inconvenience you.

Edit time is back to normal.

Thanks for your feedback, Fredrik!

Thanks for the kind offers to help out with edits. I'm glad it was changed back though. :smile:

I can understand the need to have a short edit time for revisions. But even after the revision time it would be nice to have a feature where you could indicate that you had made a mistake. When I make a mistake that is corrected a day or two later in the conversation I am always concerned that the original mistaken post will be taken out of context. For me a short time window to change existing text would be OK, but to be able to add a comment much later would be helpful.

micromass said:
Edit time is back to normal.

Thanks for your feedback, Fredrik!
Not for me. In fact, immediately after I made a post in another thread, I noticed that there was no "Edit" button at all. :confused:

EDIT: Very strange. The "Edit" button appears on this thread, but not on this thread (for me).

eumyang said:
Not for me. In fact, immediately after I made a post in another thread, I noticed that there was no "Edit" button at all. :confused:

Are you in the homework forums?

eumyang said:
We're trying out settings that disable editing in the Homework forums.

I see. Thanks for the explanation.

My suggestions, take a moment and proof read before you submit. I usually do a "preview post" because I find it easier to see errors in forum view than in editor view.

For my longer post, the standard is more like 15-20 previews and 2-5 edits. :smile:

However, I don't mind having the edit feature disabled in the homework forum. I seldom see the need to write really long posts there. Since we're providing hints rather than complete solutions, posts tend to get a lot shorter. For the same reason, I rarely have a reason to link to the same post in the homework forum many times, so it doesn't really matter if a post could use some improvements.

Fredrik said:
For my longer post, the standard is more like 15-20 previews and 2-5 edits. :smile:

However, I don't mind having the edit feature disabled in the homework forum. I seldom see the need to write really long posts there. Since we're providing hints rather than complete solutions, posts tend to get a lot shorter. For the same reason, I rarely have a reason to link to the same post in the homework forum many times, so it doesn't really matter if a post could use some improvements.
Can you see the edit button on your posts in Homework?

DaleSpam said:
I can understand the need to have a short edit time for revisions. But even after the revision time it would be nice to have a feature where you could indicate that you had made a mistake. When I make a mistake that is corrected a day or two later in the conversation I am always concerned that the original mistaken post will be taken out of context. For me a short time window to change existing text would be OK, but to be able to add a comment much later would be helpful.

There's always the Report button. Just ask a Mentor to make the correction. You could also ask that a strike-through be used to indicate the part that has been changed, if you like.

Evo said:
My suggestions, take a moment and proof read before you submit. I usually do a "preview post" because I find it easier to see errors in forum view than in editor view.

I don't know if it's only me or I am doing something wrong but this has become a pain since whoever loused up the site :tongue2: a few days ago!

It throws me out of the site continually; there is a button called 'remember me' but it doesn't always remember very well. To write a post with chemical or math formulae in particular means extensive previewing, more than once I have lost careful work of thinking, writing and tedious tex after being thrown out and was not best pleased thereat. :grumpy:

I don't know what problem the changes were invented to solve but if it was worse than the one I now have it was bad. :grumpy:

Ryan_m_b said:
We're trying out settings that disable editing in the Homework forums.
I really don't like that. Even after proofreading and previewing, I frequently end up wanting to edit a post to add something, to fix an error I didn't catch, or to simply delete it because someone else (usually Mark44) posted the exact same info while I was writing my post. I'd prefer a short window, perhaps 10 minutes or so, where we can fix or delete posts in the homework forums. Is this possible or is the time a site-wide setting?

I just posted in the homework forum and can't edit a post. Probably said too much, not even sure it's correct, and may have stepped on toes. Need to change it. I use the edit button all the time and late too.

vela said:
I really don't like that. Even after proofreading and previewing, I frequently end up wanting to edit a post to add something, to fix an error I didn't catch, or to simply delete it because someone else (usually Mark44) posted the exact same info while I was writing my post. I'd prefer a short window, perhaps 10 minutes or so, where we can fix or delete posts in the homework forums. Is this possible or is the time a site-wide setting?

It is not possible.

HH/SA should be able to edit. Try again and let me know.

Vela, I too think a short window for 10-15 minutes would be the optimal solution. I mean, c'mon, new, unnecessary posts or PMs, dashed lines on text...

EDIT: I can edit this post :biggrin: Yes, Greg, the button is there AGAIN.

dextercioby said:
EDIT: I can edit this post :biggrin: Yes, Greg, the button is there AGAIN.

Only the homework forums should be affected. Outside the homework forums the 700 minute window is back open.

Greg Bernhardt said:
It is not possible.

HH/SA should be able to edit. Try again and let me know.
Yup, the edit button is back for me in the HH forum. Thanks!

epenguin said:
I don't know if it's only me or I am doing something wrong but this has become a pain since whoever loused up the site :tongue2: a few days ago!

It throws me out of the site continually; there is a button called 'remember me' but it doesn't always remember very well. To write a post with chemical or math formulae in particular means extensive previewing, more than once I have lost careful work of thinking, writing and tedious tex after being thrown out and was not best pleased thereat. :grumpy:

I don't know what problem the changes were invented to solve but if it was worse than the one I now have it was bad. :grumpy:
It was a forum upgrade that had to be done. You shouldn't still be having problems, did you log off, clear your cookies and restart? That apparently fixed the problem for the users whose browsers didn't automatically take the upgrade.

Here's a {{{hug}}} hoping it fixes for you.

If we could get everyone that helps in the homework forums to quote the student's posts when they reply, instead of just replying, we wouldn't have a problem.

Also just had to repost a correction immediately after posting in HW.

That should be the LAST forum to have this limitation. When showing work, we usually need to use a lot of math markup. It's only natural that we screw up on it from time to time/every time.

1MileCrash said:
Also just had to repost a correction immediately after posting in HW.

That should be the LAST forum to have this limitation. When showing work, we usually need to use a lot of math markup. It's only natural that we screw up on it from time to time/every time.
Unfortunately students are getting help then deleting their posts, and it's becoming more frequent.

If we can get the helpers to quote the OP, we wouldn't have this problem.

I've posted requests for people to please hit the quote button when they reply, but they don't. Do you have any ideas on how we can get people to start using the quote button in homework help? Perhaps this will get peoples attention. Hitting quote is no harder than hitting reply. It is preferable that quote is used anyway.

Evo said:

Do you have any ideas on how we can get people to start using the quote button in homework help?

Have the first reply in the thread automatically quote the OP no matter what the helper has chosen to do. Is there a way to make the "New Reply" button check to see if it's the first response in a thread?

What about an "edit log" that a mod could use to revert it to a previous edit?

I'm sure such mods for vbulletin exist.

You could force someone to use the quote button by hiding the reply button in the HW board (if statement in template) but you couldn't stop anyone from just removing the quoted post in the text box.

<h2>1. What is the current time limit for edits on this platform?</h2><p>The current time limit for edits on this platform is 24 hours.</p><h2>2. Has the time limit for edits been changed recently?</h2><p>Yes, the time limit for edits has been changed recently. It was previously 48 hours and has now been reduced to 24 hours.</p><h2>3. Why was the time limit for edits changed?</h2><p>The time limit for edits was changed in order to encourage users to review and edit their posts in a timely manner, and to maintain the accuracy and relevance of content on the platform.</p><h2>4. Are there any exceptions to the 24-hour time limit for edits?</h2><p>Yes, there are some exceptions to the 24-hour time limit for edits. Users with a higher reputation score may have a longer time limit for edits, and there may be special circumstances where the time limit can be extended.</p><h2>5. Will the time limit for edits change again in the future?</h2><p>It is possible that the time limit for edits may change again in the future. The platform is constantly evaluating and adjusting its policies to best serve its users and maintain the quality of content.</p>

1. What is the current time limit for edits on this platform?

The current time limit for edits on this platform is 24 hours.

2. Has the time limit for edits been changed recently?

Yes, the time limit for edits has been changed recently. It was previously 48 hours and has now been reduced to 24 hours.

3. Why was the time limit for edits changed?

The time limit for edits was changed in order to encourage users to review and edit their posts in a timely manner, and to maintain the accuracy and relevance of content on the platform.

4. Are there any exceptions to the 24-hour time limit for edits?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the 24-hour time limit for edits. Users with a higher reputation score may have a longer time limit for edits, and there may be special circumstances where the time limit can be extended.

5. Will the time limit for edits change again in the future?

It is possible that the time limit for edits may change again in the future. The platform is constantly evaluating and adjusting its policies to best serve its users and maintain the quality of content.