Difference between Intermediate Dynamics / Mechanics?

In summary, the dynamics course at my school is a preliminary course that is designed for mechanical and aerospace engineering students. It covers the basics of Newtonian mechanics, and discusses applications to science and engineering. I think it is a more useful course than the mechanics course offered by the physics department.
eurekameh
So there's this new course at my school called "Intermediate Dynamics" and I'm wondering if there are any differences between this course and another called "Intermediate Mechanics." Dynamics is in the MAE department and Mechanics in the Physics department.
Here are the descriptions:

Dynamics:
Intermediate dynamics is a preliminary course in modeling dynamical systems for mechanical and aerospace engineering students. Fundamentals methods of kinematics and kinetics for a system of particles are presented with applications to physical systems. This discussion is followed by the development of equations of motion of a rigid body, including the study of torque free motion and conservation principles. Constrained motion is discussed briefly along with a short study of impulsive motion. The concept of equilibrium points for dynamical systems is introduced and methods of linear analysis are discussed in conjunction with linearization about the equilibrium point. The course concludes with an exposition of vibration theory and its relationship to Eigenvalue problems.

Here's another description of dynamics from the syllabus:
Intermediate dynamics is an introductory course in modeling dynamical systems for mechanical and aerospace engineering students. Key applications in science and engineering have been engendered by the
key developments in Dynamics. Following the footsteps of the giants such as Newton and Euler, this course imparts key tools of vector mechanics to enhance the skillset of young engineers. Making a seamless
transition from sophomore dynamics, Intermediate Dynamics is designed to provide sufficient training for easy assimilation of advanced senior level courses such as Spacecraft Dynamics and Flight Dynamics.

Mechanics 1:
Vectors, Newtonian mechanics: rectilinear motion of a particle, general motion of a particle in three dimensions, oscillations, Hamilton's variational principle: derivation of Lagrange's equations and Hamilton's equations with simple applications , equivalence to Newtonian dynamics, forces of constraint and the Lagrange multiplier method, generalized forces, noninertial reference systems, gravitation and central forces.

Calling the dynamics course "preliminary" makes it sound like a much watered down version of the latter. Am I correct in thinking this? I'm asking because I have limited slots for electives and I'd rather take the more challenging course than a watered version of the same course.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you may want to choose the course best fitted for your major. Are you in engineering or physics?

We have these same courses I believe at my uni, and there is a different emphasis. The engineering course is more focused on vector mechanics(Newton), whereas the physics course works it way up to introducing students to variational mechanics such as lagrangian/hamiltonian mechanics with the intention of preparing them for quantum mechanical forumulation.

dynamics is more useful. you'll find that the problems in regular classical mechanics to be uninteresting and contrived for maximum mathematical difficulty (as opposed to usefulness). I mean, hell, if I ever see another double Atwoods problem...

Also the whole thing about Hamiltonian mechanics being needed for QM is a really tenuous relationship.

eurekameh said:
Calling the dynamics course "preliminary" makes it sound like a much watered down version of the latter. Am I correct in thinking this? I'm asking because I have limited slots for electives and I'd rather take the more challenging course than a watered version of the same course.

That's probably not the case. The classes while having similar titles are probably very different in nature. So it depends on what you're interested in. If you want to take mechanics so that you can use it to apply to real life problems such as engineering ones, by far take the Dynamics class. If you are interested in learning more elegant and fundamental formulations of classical mechanics such as the ones developed my Lagrange and Hamilton, and you want to see how they connect to quantum mechanics and other advanced physics topics, take the one offered by the physics department. Keep in mind though that some things from the physics class might still be useful in terms of applications since intermediate mechanics classes usually also go over some orbit dynamics and things like damped/driven/coupled oscillators, however I'm not sure how true the converse would be.

So bottom line: depends on your interests.

Last edited:
chill_factor said:
dynamics is more useful. you'll find that the problems in regular classical mechanics to be uninteresting and contrived for maximum mathematical difficulty (as opposed to usefulness). I mean, hell, if I ever see another double Atwoods problem...

Also the whole thing about Hamiltonian mechanics being needed for QM is a really tenuous relationship.

I really disagree with this. I think one would find dynamics more useful if they are interested in applications. I think one would find mechanics more useful if they are interested in a more fundamental approach.

Has anyone taken the dynamics course before? I've looked around and it seems like it isn't very popular. My school has just introduced it to the spring semester and I'm wondering how legit it is.

1. What is the difference between Intermediate Dynamics and Mechanics?

Intermediate Dynamics and Mechanics are both branches of physics that deal with the study of motion and forces. However, the main difference between the two is the level of complexity and mathematical rigor. Intermediate Dynamics is a more advanced and specialized version of Mechanics, which requires a deeper understanding of calculus and differential equations.

2. Do Intermediate Dynamics and Mechanics cover the same topics?

Yes, both Intermediate Dynamics and Mechanics cover similar topics such as kinematics, Newton's laws of motion, work and energy, and rotational motion. However, Intermediate Dynamics delves deeper into these topics and also includes more advanced topics such as Lagrangian mechanics and Hamiltonian mechanics.

3. Which one is more applicable in real-world scenarios?

Both Intermediate Dynamics and Mechanics are equally applicable in real-world scenarios. Mechanics is more commonly used in engineering and everyday life applications, while Intermediate Dynamics is mainly used in advanced research and development in fields such as aerospace engineering and robotics.

4. Can I study Intermediate Dynamics without studying Mechanics?

No, it is not recommended to study Intermediate Dynamics without having a strong foundation in Mechanics. Intermediate Dynamics builds upon the concepts and principles learned in Mechanics, and without a solid understanding of Mechanics, it would be difficult to grasp the more advanced topics in Intermediate Dynamics.

5. How can I prepare for studying Intermediate Dynamics?

To prepare for studying Intermediate Dynamics, it is important to have a strong background in Mechanics, as well as a good understanding of calculus and differential equations. It is also helpful to have a solid understanding of basic physics principles and concepts, such as kinematics and Newton's laws of motion. Practicing problem-solving and critical thinking skills will also be beneficial for studying Intermediate Dynamics.