PF Thread Milestones: Reaching a Million Views and Beyond

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
In summary: Which corresponds to ~5% deleted posts.But how many of those posts were actually meaningful or added value to the discussion? That's something to think about when considering the number of posts on a forum or thread. In summary, the Lame Jokes thread on the Physics Forums website is expected to hit one million views today. This thread has been ongoing for several years and has surpassed other popular threads in terms of views. The closest thread to reaching a million views is the one discussing the Fukushima incident, which currently stands at 2.5 million views. The forum administrators have noticed an increase in traffic and popularity in
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The Lame Jokes thread will probably hit a million views today. As I type this, it's at 999,943.

[added a few minutes later] Oops, now it's 999,972. Blink and you'll miss it!

Have any other PF threads ever reached a million views? The closest current thread I can find right now is the https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=338126 [Broken] thread, which is at about 893,000.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
We're also approaching 4 million posts.

Currently Posts: 3,958,276

Pengwuino said:
Yes, the thread after the Fukushima incident hit over a million views within a few days if I recall correctly.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=480200

It currently stands at 2.5 million
It took about 10 weeks or so. The thread hit 1 million views on June 1, 2001 - 05:00 pm, views = 1,000,091

So I don't recall correctly...

Ah, I forgot about the Fukushima thread(s). Now I remember some discussion about the traffic in it, in the weeks/months after the events there.

Lame Jokes crossed the line while I was eating Christmas dinner. Now at 1,000,038.

Pengwuino said:
Yes, the thread after the Fukushima incident hit over a million views within a few days if I recall correctly.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=480200

It currently stands at 2.5 million

attachment.php?attachmentid=54259&stc=1&d=1356469821.png

First three months (up to a million) are just an approximation, as I don't have data earlier than May 27th, 2011.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 779
What is it with PF's obsession with incredibly large threads? It's so disorganized. Why not just make a lame jokes section?

Imagine merging all the calculus threads into one mega-thread. :tongue:

Hmmm. I'm approaching 9,000 posts...when it goes over 9,000 I will reveal my final form.

tahayassen said:
What is it with PF's obsession with incredibly large threads? It's so disorganized. Why not just make a lame jokes section?

Imagine merging all the calculus threads into one mega-thread. :tongue:
The Fukushima thread was a combination of threads on the disaster, then turned into a thread of news updates. Beats me why people care about the size of a thread. There are many small threads that are of high quality and value that are helpful in terms of learning and being helpful to others. But my understanding is that a thread doesn't have to be meaningful to make us money. :tongue2:

Last edited:
Evo said:
The Fukushima thread was a combination of threads on the disaster, then turned into a thread of news updates. Beats me why people care about the size of a thread. There are many small threads that are of high quality and value that are helpful in terms of learning and being helpful to others. But my understanding is that a thread doesn't have to be meaningful to make us money. :tongue2:

Huge threads are typically useless in my experience. Other than to document the discussion of a specific topic. But that only really helps if the discussion goes well, otherwise it's just 150 pages of arguing, of which everything worthwhile is argued in the first 5 pages, then re-argued about twelve dozen times after that.

Drakkith said:
Huge threads are typically useless in my experience. Other than to document the discussion of a specific topic. But that only really helps if the discussion goes well, otherwise it's just 150 pages of arguing, of which everything worthwhile is argued in the first 5 pages, then re-argued about twelve dozen times after that.

I agree with this. Huge threads typically contain very little valuable discussion. And they tend to be very difficult to moderate as well.

Drakkith said:

I've seen threads answered on the first page, with a mere sentence.
I'm amazed when the answer is ignored, and the 150 pages of arguing ensue.
There's a topic for discussion: Why do people love to argue?

OmCheeto said:
There's a topic for discussion: Why do people love to argue?

A better question has never been asked. Uh oh, that statement might spark an argument! WHAT HAVE I DONE?!

A better question has never been asked.

A flagrant untruth, them's fightin ' words. :smile:

Let's just not argue at all , and say that we did.

If reaching one-million posts constitutes reaching a milestone, then one post ~= 1.61mm. I never knew that.

Ivan Seeking said:
If reaching one-million posts constitutes reaching a milestone, then one post ~= 1.61mm. I never knew that.

I guess it depends on the screen DPI. On my monitor your post takes well over 3" (that's mostly because of your list of badges and avatar), shortest posts by others are around 1.5".

Astronuc said:
We're also approaching 4 million posts.

Currently Posts: 3,958,276
4 million existing posts, the postid (the number of posts ever posted, or copied) is at 4210910. Which corresponds to ~5% deleted posts.

Which thread has most posts? Random thoughts has 17,651.

mfb said:
Which thread has most posts? Random thoughts has 17,651.

And it is reported as the longest thread by vBulletin.

mfb said:
4 million existing posts, the postid (the number of posts ever posted, or copied) is at 4210910. Which corresponds to ~5% deleted posts.
Yes, the number would be existing posts. We have deleted a fair amount of spam.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Looks like we'll hit 4 million post the first week of Feb!
Awesome! Who would have guessed this 10 years ago? You ARE the man.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Looks like we'll hit 4 million post the first week of Feb!
About 24,300 to go.

Astronuc said:
About 24,300 to go.

I'll start typing...get me some Bengay.

Do GD posts count?

For that, all existing posts are counted. It does not matter where they are, if they do not get deleted.

Gad said:
Do GD posts count?
Yes - it applies to all posts in the database, which are not deleted.

Astronuc said:

If deleted posts were counted we'd be close to 5 million :biggrin:

Astronuc said:

Let the fun begin! :biggrin:

Greg Bernhardt said:

You know that would've been a much more easier task for me to do. :devil: :tongue:

Greg Bernhardt said:
Just 4.2 millions, as you can see at the postids :smile:.
This is post 4227730 (including deleted and copied posts).

8 days to go. Certainly by Feb 3, but maybe on Feb 2.

Greg Bernhardt said:
4500 to go!
Less than 3200 to go, so we could realize the milestone on Friday, Feb 1!

Is it just me or does PF look different? Like visually different?

<h2>What is the significance of reaching a million views on a PF thread?</h2><p>Reaching a million views on a PF thread is a significant milestone because it means that the thread has generated a lot of interest and engagement from the community. It also indicates that the topic of the thread is relevant and valuable to readers.</p><h2>How long does it typically take for a PF thread to reach a million views?</h2><p>The time it takes for a PF thread to reach a million views varies greatly and depends on several factors such as the popularity of the topic, the quality of the content, and the level of engagement from the community. Some threads may reach a million views in a matter of days, while others may take months or even years.</p><h2>What are some strategies for increasing views on a PF thread?</h2><p>Some strategies for increasing views on a PF thread include creating a catchy and informative title, regularly updating the thread with new content, promoting the thread on social media platforms, and actively engaging with readers by responding to comments and asking for their input.</p><h2>Can reaching a million views on a PF thread lead to any opportunities?</h2><p>Yes, reaching a million views on a PF thread can lead to various opportunities such as collaborations with other scientists or researchers, invitations to speak at conferences or events, and potential media coverage for the topic of the thread.</p><h2>What are some potential challenges that may arise after reaching a million views on a PF thread?</h2><p>Some potential challenges that may arise after reaching a million views on a PF thread include managing a large number of comments and responses, addressing any misinformation or negative comments, and maintaining the quality and relevance of the content to keep readers engaged.</p>

What is the significance of reaching a million views on a PF thread?

Reaching a million views on a PF thread is a significant milestone because it means that the thread has generated a lot of interest and engagement from the community. It also indicates that the topic of the thread is relevant and valuable to readers.

How long does it typically take for a PF thread to reach a million views?

The time it takes for a PF thread to reach a million views varies greatly and depends on several factors such as the popularity of the topic, the quality of the content, and the level of engagement from the community. Some threads may reach a million views in a matter of days, while others may take months or even years.

What are some strategies for increasing views on a PF thread?

Some strategies for increasing views on a PF thread include creating a catchy and informative title, regularly updating the thread with new content, promoting the thread on social media platforms, and actively engaging with readers by responding to comments and asking for their input.

Can reaching a million views on a PF thread lead to any opportunities?

Yes, reaching a million views on a PF thread can lead to various opportunities such as collaborations with other scientists or researchers, invitations to speak at conferences or events, and potential media coverage for the topic of the thread.

What are some potential challenges that may arise after reaching a million views on a PF thread?

Some potential challenges that may arise after reaching a million views on a PF thread include managing a large number of comments and responses, addressing any misinformation or negative comments, and maintaining the quality and relevance of the content to keep readers engaged.