Humming Notes 1/2-lambda apart

• Thread starter ahaanomegas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notes
In summary, the conversation revolves around a question about what would happen if someone starts humming a constant note and then starts humming the same note again at the same point along the wave. The friend believes that destructive interference would occur, causing the sound to cancel out. However, the other party argues that the power from the sources would not disappear and that this could be achieved more easily with two loudspeakers. It is also clarified that the term "1/2 a wavelength" refers to a distance, not a sound.
ahaanomegas
A question my friend gave me the other day:

If I start humming a constant note and, once 1/2 a wavelength exits my mouth, I start humming the same constant note starting at the same point along the wave while somehow managing to produce both of the same note, what will you hear?

His logic is that destructive interference would occur and I wouldn't hear anything. This confused me. How can someone just conclude that someone is totally deaf to a sound is coming just because "I'd hear 1/2 a wavelength and THEN they'd cancel each other out.". Why is my friend wrong? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oi, that wasn't the other day, that was today! :)

Though my argument was that you'd hear 1/2 a wavelength and THEN they'd cancel each other out.

Which is what I meant to say. Thanks for clearing it up though! I'll edit.

Of course, in some other direction is space (off axis), the two waves would add constructively and the power that didn't go in the forward direction would cause the power in that direction be quadrupled (2 squared). There is no way that the power coming from the sources would 'disappear'.

You could do this much easier with two loudspeakers.

Whovian said:
Oi, that wasn't the other day, that was today! :)

Though my argument was that you'd hear 1/2 a wavelength and THEN they'd cancel each other out.

Actually, you don't hear "a 1/2 wavelength" because that is a distance. You could say that you would hear one half of a Cycle of oscillation.
I'm not sure what the original description means - now I read it again.

1. What does "Humming Notes 1/2-lambda apart" mean?

"Humming Notes 1/2-lambda apart" refers to a phenomenon in sound waves where two identical notes are played, but one is slightly higher in pitch than the other. This difference in pitch is equivalent to half of the wavelength (represented by lambda) of the sound wave.

2. How does the concept of "Humming Notes 1/2-lambda apart" relate to music?

In music, the concept of "Humming Notes 1/2-lambda apart" is known as a beat frequency. It occurs when two notes are played simultaneously and have slightly different frequencies. The resulting beat frequency is heard as a pulsating sound.

3. What causes "Humming Notes 1/2-lambda apart" to occur?

"Humming Notes 1/2-lambda apart" occurs due to the phenomenon of interference. When two sound waves with similar frequencies overlap, they interfere with each other, resulting in a beat frequency.

4. How is "Humming Notes 1/2-lambda apart" used in scientific research?

The concept of "Humming Notes 1/2-lambda apart" has been used in various scientific studies to understand the properties of sound waves and how they interact with each other. It has also been used in the development of musical instruments and audio technology.

5. Can "Humming Notes 1/2-lambda apart" be heard in everyday life?

Yes, "Humming Notes 1/2-lambda apart" can be heard in everyday life, especially in music and other auditory experiences. For example, when tuning a guitar, the sound of the two strings being played together and slightly out of tune creates a beat frequency that is heard as a pulsating sound.