Is it possible to use an iPhone as a wifi host for another network?

In summary, the conversation suggests that the speaker's laptop is having trouble connecting to public wifi, while their iPhone has no issues. They ask if there is a way for their iPhone to act as a hotspot using a different wifi network instead of using 3G or 4G. The other person suggests that the laptop's settings may be the problem and recommends changing them or using network profile software. They also mention that while the iPhone can act as a basic wifi access point, it may not be able to bridge to another network without a specific app.
jaydnul
My laptop doesn't like public wifi for some reason but iphone has no problem connecting. Is there anyway to have my iphone become a hotspot with another wifi instead of 3g or 4g?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds to me like your laptop settings are at fault. You need to change these when you use different hotspots.

You can get network profile software that will store and change these for you automatically but you need to get your TCP / IP settings correct first as it sounds like your laptop is set specifically to use your iphone at the moment.

As for the iphone, it's providing a basic wifi access point. I would be surprised if its capable of acting as a bridge to another network but its not impossible. You'd probably need to find an app for it though.

1. How can I use my iPhone as a Wifi host?

To use your iPhone as a Wifi host, you will need to go to your Settings and turn on the Personal Hotspot function. This will allow other devices to connect to your iPhone's network and use it as a Wifi host.

2. Can I connect multiple devices to my iPhone's Wifi host?

Yes, you can connect multiple devices to your iPhone's Wifi host. However, the number of devices that can be connected may vary depending on your iPhone model and network strength.

3. Is it safe to use my iPhone as a Wifi host?

As long as you have a secure password for your Wifi host, it is generally safe to use your iPhone as a Wifi host. However, it is always recommended to use a trusted network and avoid sharing sensitive information when using public Wifi hosts.

4. Can I use my iPhone as a Wifi host without an internet connection?

Yes, you can use your iPhone as a Wifi host without an internet connection. This is useful for sharing files and connecting devices that do not have their own internet access.

5. How do I turn off the Wifi host on my iPhone?

To turn off the Wifi host on your iPhone, simply go to your Settings and turn off the Personal Hotspot function. This will disconnect any devices connected to your iPhone's Wifi host and turn off the hotspot.