Melting Lightbulb Filaments: What Voltage is Needed?

In summary, Dave has been modeling the power as a function of voltage for a light bulb that will not last long at 211VAC. He calculated that he would need 141W.
elegysix
Does anyone know an approximate voltage needed to melt the filament of a typical 120V/60W incandescent bulb?

I'm doing a research project and I've calculated 211V. However, I don't have a power supply capable of delivering it - yet. So for now I can't test my theory.

and I haven't had any luck with google.
Any help is appreciated.

Science news on Phys.org
Incandescent light bulb filaments don't fail by simple "melting". From what I can tell, the tungsten sublimates under too much heat creating spots along the filament that are thinner and therefore hotter. In a regular modern light bulb that sublimation process is offset by the gases in the glass envelope - even if the bulb is not a halogen.

I can tell you from many reports that when the neutral in a home circuit is disconnected from ground and the load on each side is unbalanced, light bulbs on the lightly loaded (and therefore higher voltage) side will start to pop. From that, I would guess that a standard 60W bulb will not long survive 211 VAC.

Thanks. I've been modeling their spectra, voltage, current, resistance, and temperature characteristics.

I want to cause the filament to fail, and I figured raising the filament temperature to the melting point of tungsten (~3683K) would do it. I calculated that I would need 141W using the stefan-boltzmann law, which translated into 211V after modeling the power as a function of voltage.

As you pointed out, I realize there are many more factors involved which I have not yet taken into account. But it's a starting point.

I would guess that a standard 60W bulb will not long survive 211 VAC.

not an accurate comment, considering I have lots of 40 and 60 and 75W globes in my house operating at 240V

what is missing is that globes are designed for a specific wattage at a specific voltage

cheers
Dave

I believe that photoflood lamps used to be more or less normal bulbs but operated at about 50% over their normal voltage. They would not last more than a few hours at full volts but produce about twice as much light (nice and blue, too)
I just found this link which may be of interest.

Thanks sophie, that plot is interesting.

davenn said:
not an accurate comment, considering I have lots of 40 and 60 and 75W globes in my house operating at 240V

what is missing is that globes are designed for a specific wattage at a specific voltage
I did specify 120V/60W. I think his reply was in context.

Moving on, there was a microwave taken apart in our electronics lab this evening. I suspect that tomorrow I'll have the power supply I need to do this test. I'll update with my results if so.

elegysix said:
Thanks sophie, that plot is interesting.

I did specify 120V/60W. I think his reply was in context.

Sorry, Yes I missed that in your post
I'll go stand in the corner :wink:

Dave

Amazing that those photoflood lamps have a colour temperature of 3200C (which must be more or less the filament temperature in a frosted envelope) whilst the melting point of Tungsten is 3422C. Not a lot of room for error in the supply volts before the filament just gloops.

Since I didn't get my power supply yet, here's some pictures of our work so far to keep you interested...

Here are the data sets and models plotted: (disregard the title, as we took data between 174mA and 550mA... I just haven't gotten around to updating that)
Multi_Bulb_No_Table.jpg

and here is a table with the numbers:
datatable.jpg

1. How does a lightbulb filament melt?

The lightbulb filament melts when it reaches its melting point, which is typically around 2,500 degrees Celsius. This high temperature is created by the electrical current passing through the filament, causing it to heat up and eventually melt.

2. What is the melting point of a lightbulb filament?

The melting point of a lightbulb filament varies depending on the material it is made of. Tungsten, the most commonly used material for lightbulb filaments, has a melting point of 3,422 degrees Celsius. Other materials such as carbon, titanium, and tantalum have different melting points.

3. Can a lightbulb filament melt without electricity?

No, a lightbulb filament requires electricity to heat up and reach its melting point. Without electricity, the filament will not heat up enough to melt, and the lightbulb will not produce light.

4. Why does a lightbulb filament melt?

The purpose of a lightbulb filament is to create light by converting electrical energy into heat and light energy. The heat produced by the filament is necessary for it to emit light, but if the heat becomes too intense, it can cause the filament to melt and break, resulting in a burnt-out lightbulb.

5. Can a melted lightbulb filament be fixed?

No, a melted lightbulb filament cannot be fixed. Once the filament has melted and broken, the lightbulb will no longer work and will need to be replaced. It is important to handle lightbulbs carefully and avoid touching the filament to prevent it from melting prematurely.