Find the Limit of (x^2-81)/(3-(3^1/2)) as x Approaches 9 with Expert Math Help"

• Thread starter teng125
  • Start date
in summary, the problem is that if you substitute x by 9 in the limit, both numerator and denominator become 0. but since x- 9 is also a difference of squares, x2- 81= (x- 9)(x+ 9) and then we can treat x- 9 as a difference of squares too: x- 9= (\sqrt(x))^2- 3^2= (\sqrt{x}- 3)(\sqrt{x}+ 3)
teng125
lim x to 9 [(x^2]-81)/[3-(3^1/2)]??

thanx...

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show what you have done till now with this problem?

i have tried to do this question n got the answer of -108.is it correct??

teng125 said:
i have tried to do this question n got the answer of -108.is it correct??
No, it is not right.
If you show exactly how you got your answer of -108 (ie, post all the working and calculations you did) it will be easier for us to help you and show where you went wrong.

That answer isn't correct, unless you stated the wrong problem. I *think* you may mean

[tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 9} \frac{{x^2 - 81}}{{3 - \sqrt x }}[/tex]

In that case, your answer is correct :smile:

ya,that is my question.thank you very much...

No problem, but be careful when "writing math" ;)

yeah, try using latex... just click on the equation TD wrote and look at the code, its worth learning.

teng125 said:
ya,that is my question.thank you very much...
Okay, the problem is
[tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 9} \frac{{x^2 - 81}}{{3 - \sqrt x }}[/tex]

do you now see how to get the limit?

The problem is that if you just replace x by 9, both numerator and denominator are 0. (If the denominator were not 0, just calculate the value at x= 9. If the denominator is 0 but the numerator not, there is no limit.)

But since both become 0 at x= 9, that means we can factor! x2- 81 is a "difference of squares" so x2- 81= (x- 9)(x+ 9) and then we can treat x- 9 as a "difference of squares also: [itex]x- 9= (\sqrt(x))^2- 3^2= (\sqrt{x}- 3)(\sqrt{x}+ 3)[/itex]
Can you finish it from there?

well i think he did even before posting the question, because he got a right answer, and just asked if its right.

Yeah, I just reread the original post and that is implied.

What is the process for solving a math problem?

The process for solving a math problem typically involves understanding the given problem, identifying the necessary information, choosing an appropriate method or formula, and then carefully working through each step to arrive at the solution.

How can I improve my math skills?

Improving math skills takes practice and patience. You can start by reviewing basic concepts, studying and understanding formulas, and then practicing with a variety of problems. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also help improve math skills.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving math problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving math problems include misreading the problem, using the wrong formula or method, and making careless errors in calculations. It's important to carefully read and understand the problem, double-check your work, and be mindful of any potential errors.

How can I check if my answer to a math problem is correct?

You can check your answer to a math problem by plugging it back into the original problem to see if it satisfies all given conditions. You can also use a calculator or online tool to confirm your answer or ask a teacher or tutor for feedback.

What resources can I use to help me with math problems?

There are many resources available to help with math problems, such as textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and videos. You can also seek help from a teacher, tutor, or fellow classmates. Additionally, many schools offer math labs or tutoring services for students who need extra support.