Deriving Power From Lightning - Is It Possible?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of deriving energy from lightning strikes using a conductor connected to potential differences in the sky. It is mentioned that this has been attempted before using a rocket with a wire. The feasibility of using a floating balloon to connect with a ground-based capacitor is also discussed. However, it is noted that harnessing lightning is difficult due to its unpredictability and the small amount of power that would be generated. A suggestion is made to use a super-capacitor attached to a 2000 ft. mast to store the energy from lightning strikes, but the practicality of this idea is questioned. The conversation also touches on the idea of using the energy of lightning for free, but it is pointed out that there are always
extreme_machinations
I Was Wondering If We Could Derive Energy From Lightening Strikes ,when The Sky Is Overcast With Clouds We Have Various Potential Diffrences In The Sky wrt to ground ,so Can We Connect A Conductor Of Some Sort To Convert These Potential Diffrences Into Current , I Once Saw This Crazy Metereologist Guy Sending Up Rocket To Probe Lightening on tv ,he Actually Induced Lightening To Study It [the rocket carried this wire with it and as soon as it reached the clouds a flash occured, that apparently turned this metereologist guy on ]Can We Do This With Some Kind Of Floating balloon sort of a Thing Which Could Connect With A Ground Based Capacitor Or Something Like That ?

I Know We'd Have To Wait For the lightning to Happen First But Would'nt ,u Know The Central Grid Can Always Use Some Additional Power For cheap {condidering just the helium cost} .

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
This is discussed in many threads (do a search) including this one further down on the GP page: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=122560

In short:
1. Extremely difficult to harness because of the short, high energy pulses and unpredictability.
2. Not enough power would be generated to matter.
3. No, we cannot "always use some additional power for free". Free is never free.

I have some thoughts on this. This is my idea, but I'm not sure if it is feasible.

A super-capacitor is built. One plate of the capacitor is charged to a value about equal to a typical lightning bolt. The other plate is attached to a conductor that runs up to the top of a 2000 ft. mast (masts of this height have been built). Once a lightning bolt has struck the tower both sides of the capacitor have a charge. The lighting charged plate is then moved over to another uncharged plate, and power is drained off of it. Mean while, a second uncharged plate is moved over the human charged plate so that multiple plates can be charged off a single bad storm.

Is this in anyway practical? I imagine it would be hard to pull those two charges plates apart.EDIT:

Actually, now that I think about it, this scheme would cause dielectric break down - even if the dielectric is a couple of miles think.

...Although, if there is enough surface area on the capacitor, then it might be possible to drop the voltage enough to prevent dielectric breakdown.

Last edited:
2,000 foot mast? Do you even need to ask if that is practical?

There's plenty of energy kicking around guys. The stuff is indestructible. Well it isn't stuff, it's just a property of stuff, with no real existence of its own but that's by the by. The problem is storing it economically.

1. Can lightning be harnessed as a source of power?

Yes, it is possible to harness the energy of lightning as a source of power. However, it is a complex and challenging process that requires advanced technology and careful planning.

2. How does the process of deriving power from lightning work?

The process involves capturing the electrical energy from lightning strikes using specialized equipment, such as lightning rods or conductive wires. The energy is then stored and converted into usable electricity through transformers and other devices.

3. What are the potential benefits of using lightning as a power source?

One potential benefit is that lightning is a renewable source of energy, meaning it can be continuously replenished. It also has a high energy density, meaning a small amount of lightning can produce a significant amount of energy. Additionally, using lightning as a power source could reduce our reliance on non-renewable energy sources, such as fossil fuels.

4. Are there any potential risks or challenges associated with deriving power from lightning?

Yes, there are several risks and challenges to consider. One major risk is the high voltage and current of lightning, which can be dangerous and damaging if not properly managed. There are also technical challenges, such as the need for specialized equipment and the difficulty of predicting and capturing lightning strikes.

5. Is deriving power from lightning currently being used on a large scale?

No, the process of deriving power from lightning is not currently being used on a large scale. There have been some small-scale projects and experiments, but it is not a widely implemented source of energy. More research and development is needed to make this process feasible and safe for widespread use.