Can LaTeX Easily Generate Data Tables from Text Files?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Norman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Data Latex
In summary, the conversation discusses the best way to publish data in Latex without having to manually enter it. Suggestions include using an add-in for Excel called xl2latex or a similar program for OpenOffice.org Calc. The conversation also mentions that there may be a need for some formatting when copying and pasting data into Latex.
Norman
Hello Everyone,

I have a question about publishing some data in Latex. I don't want to have to enter the data by hand into the latex document. Is there an easy way to take the data from a text file into latex and have it generate a table? Or would it be easier to just create a .eps file from some other software and include the table as graphics?

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of problem?
Thanks for any help or insight anyone can offer.
Cheers,
Ryan

Physics news on Phys.org
You cancopy and paste, then you will have to do some formatting. I don't think there is a way to read a file into LaTex in a table format...

There is a need little add-in to Excel that allows you to convert tabels into decent latex code. So it is properly easier (and better) to just import your data into excel and convert it to latex.

Its called xl2latex and is available on CTAN, http://www.dante.de/CTAN//support/xl2latex/ it is made for Excel97 but i have used it with both 2000 and XP, and although i get a runtime error it works fine.

Last edited:
Triss said:
There is a need little add-in to Excel that allows you to convert tabels into decent latex code. So it is properly easier (and better) to just import your data into excel and convert it to latex.

Its called xl2latex and is available on CTAN.

Would this be compatible with OpenOffice.org Calc? If not is there a similar program available?
Thanks,
Ryan

1. What is LaTeX and why is it used for creating data tables?

LaTeX is a typesetting language used for creating documents, particularly in the fields of mathematics, science, and engineering. It is commonly used for creating data tables because it allows for precise formatting and customization, making it ideal for presenting data in a professional and organized manner.

2. How do I create a basic data table in LaTeX?

To create a basic data table in LaTeX, you will need to use the \begin{tabular} and \end{tabular} commands. Within these commands, you can specify the number of columns, alignment, and content for each cell in the table. You can also add borders, headings, and other formatting options to your table.

3. Can I import data from an external source into my LaTeX data table?

Yes, you can import data from an external source into your LaTeX data table using the \input{filename} command. This will allow you to easily update your table if your data changes without having to manually input the data each time.

4. How can I make my data table more visually appealing?

To make your data table more visually appealing, you can use various packages in LaTeX that offer additional formatting options, such as booktabs for creating professional-looking borders and rules, and multirow and multicolumn for merging cells and creating more complex layouts.

5. Is it possible to create a data table with mathematical expressions in LaTeX?

Yes, it is possible to include mathematical expressions in your data table using the array and amsmath packages in LaTeX. This allows you to easily add equations, symbols, and other mathematical notations to your table.