What Is Tensile Strength? | A Physics Novice's Questions

In summary, the force responsible for keeping the atoms or molecules of a rope together is the electromagnetic force, specifically the attraction between oppositely charged parts of molecules. However, a quantum mechanical treatment is needed for a more detailed understanding of tensile strength. It has been shown that classical charges cannot have a tensile strength according to the virial theorem.
khemani
I am a Physics novice.

While reading an article on tensile strength in wikipedia, I began to wonder what force is responsible for keeping the atoms or molecules of something like a rope together. I mean what force would tension on the rope would have to overcome in order to break the rope. Surely, there is some force that is the cause for the dense packing of the atoms of molecules of a rope. Please clarify.

Thank you,
Karim

Physics news on Phys.org
A note

Just wanted to add a note. If the tensile strength of the rope is the force keeping the atoms/molecules together, what is the cause behind this force?

Molecules are not symmetric. Some parts of molecules are positively charged, other parts are negatively charged. These oppositely charged parts attract each other.

For a more detailed response, please read the next 15 posts...

The force between atoms is generally regarded as being due to chemical bonds. The simplest cases to analyze are pure crystals.

In physics terms, the forces are all of electromagnetic origin - they are the electrical forces due to shared electrons.

A detailed accurate explanation of tensile strength unfortunately requires a quantum mechanical treatment

I believe I've read that it can be shown that the virial theorem limits or prohibits arrangements of strictly classical charges from having a tensile strength, but I couldn't find a reference.

1. What is tensile strength?

Tensile strength is the maximum amount of stress that a material can withstand before breaking or failing. It is a measure of the material's ability to resist being pulled apart by tension forces.

2. How is tensile strength measured?

Tensile strength is typically measured by applying a force to a sample of the material until it breaks. The amount of force required to break the sample is then divided by the cross-sectional area of the sample to calculate the tensile strength in units of force per area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or megapascals (MPa).

3. What factors affect tensile strength?

Tensile strength can be affected by various factors such as the type of material, its composition, the manufacturing process, and any external conditions such as temperature, humidity, and exposure to chemicals. The structure and shape of the material can also play a role in its tensile strength.

4. How is tensile strength important in materials science?

Tensile strength is an important property in materials science as it helps determine the suitability of a material for a particular application. Materials with high tensile strength are often used in structural components, while materials with lower tensile strength may be more suitable for applications where flexibility is needed.

5. Can tensile strength be improved?

Yes, the tensile strength of a material can be improved through various methods such as alloying, heat treatment, and cold working. These techniques can change the internal structure of the material, making it stronger and more resistant to tension forces.