Exploring Zero and Infinity in Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of zero and infinity in mathematics and physics. Zero and infinity are often seen as the end points of limiting processes in mathematics, such as in the definition of a derivative and the math of infinite series. In physics, these numbers are used to give insights into statements such as the mass being zero or infinite, and time being zero or infinite. The concept of volume in different dimensions is also explored, with the idea of an infinitesimal volume being necessary for physical meaning. The discussion also touches on the principle of directional invariance and the possibility of two directions of time. Finally, the conversation leads to the concept of mirror worlds and the temporal intersect, which connects two mirror worlds with opposite directions of time flow
8LPF16,

Thanks for telling me where you stand in your quest for understanding of the world.

If I can be of help any further in your quest, don't hesitate to ask. I will help you if I know the answer.

I think you already have the answer to your quest, just a matter of communicating to others?

Antonio

Physics news on Phys.org
Antonio,

When I thought that your origial post deseved more time, I had no idea this would happen!

You have already hepled very much, and I will hope to continue receiving some help from you from time to time.

Like the British, we speak english as a common language, but are still culturally different. The course of my education is quite different than Western. Some translation will be required occasionally to have effective communication.

LPF

Perfect vaccum

Hi antonio,

Thank you for your response to my problem, Let me tell you a little about the use for perfect vacuum that I am trying to resolve. I am trying to better understand the whole light speed and how to achieve it just for my personal satisfaction. I heard a rummor that there have been experiments conducted to try to reach the speed of light I do not know if this is true but according to the teller of the story, the reason the speed of light was not achieved was because the object in which they were trying use kept on gaining mass and thus gaining weight and thus slowing down or staying at a speed not reaching the speed of light. I believe if a man made box or space with perfect vacuum were created this object would be able to reach such a speed. I really am not sure if this was true about the experiment I am eager to find out but I don't know who conducted the experiment or nothing. I have been thinking that a way to harvest such a box might be to create a self inteligent matter capable of becoming a different state and size diminishing in size surrounded by a reverse electromagnetic field coupled with an antistatic field to eliminate the possibilities of any matter wanting to reach the absolute vacuum environment coupled with a vacuum to continously suck out by product with a series of one way valves/magnets. All coupled with a detector that would detect particles like neutrino's and would pull them to the apparatus waste site. Although the whole apparatus would be covered with a liquid nitrogen wall to keep any microorganisms and or matter frozen. the inside of the apparatus kept at extreemly low temperatures. In addition the way to suck out the debris and or matter would include many other similar vacuums surounding this dome of space or box of space with the one-way valves in series and the original dome where you would want the absoulute vacuum to be would have to be at a higher pressure but still in a sense a absolute vaccum. In addition to the one way valves in a series between every one way valve you would have sort of a reservoir to put the byproducts/microorganisms/gasses and so on divided by a openable valve not operated by vacuum in itself. What do you think of this particular model? This is just a little something I was thinking about last night and I decided to write it down. And by any means if someone else has some input please feel free to help I am just trying to learn and understand more. Thank You

Ike...

Fermi Lab and CERN?

Fromfiretolife,

What you describe in your post is similar in many ways to the accelerators in Europe at CERN in Geneva, Switzerland and Fermilab in Batavia, Illinois. These have been in operations for a while. And they were responsible for the discovery of many particles. The people involved have received Nobel Prizes already. They did accelerate particle at nearly 99% the speed of light what holding them back to exactly the speed of light is Einstein's equation. When matter and antimatter collide at high speed and high energy, matter does transform to pure energy in the form of photons and photons does travel at light speed. The phenomenon of vacuum fluctuations are cases in point that this change of matter-antimatter to energy is constantly being realized in the infinitesimal domain of the vacuum.
The process that the labs did is to accelerate electrons in one direction and positrons in the other direction. Once they reached energy 99% light speed the particle beams were made to collide. Pure energy in the form of photons are produced profusely. The fact is we don't need high speed to create pure energy, all we need is to keep matter in one bottle and antimatter in another bottle then mix the two bottle, the result is pure energy, just that simple, really! The problem is how to keep antimatter in a bottle. For the scientists, they use something similar to the Penning traps as pioneered by Dehmelt. It is some sort of electromagnetic trap. Dehmelt and other received the Nobel Prize for this work in 1989.

FYI: The chambers were the electrons and positrons reside are perfect vacuum as far as our current technology can create. In other words, the experiments are done in a 'perfect' vacuun.

The superconducting supercollider that was supposed to be built in Texas was designed to operate at superconductor's temperature which necessarily needed liquid nitrogen to cool the machine. But this was too expensive. The whole project was scrapped by U. S. Congress.

Antonio

Last edited:
perfect vaccum

Antonio,

Thanks antonio for the response I will keep that into consideration when I start to think about new ways, do you know any places to get more information about where to get information on the project at CERN and the project that was scrapped at texas to evaluate it and learn about them in detail.

Ike...

Accelerators

Wow I can kinda see how the particles would accelerate moving the electrons in one way and the positrons in the other way it is in deed a very nice design, that is very interesting.

Ike.