Max Area of Frustrum: Parabola & Line Constraint

• Thread starter mathwiz123
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the maximum area of a frustrum bounded by a paraboloid and a line. The person asking the question suggests that the answer is 4*64/3 and asks for help in showing how to solve it. However, the other person responds by saying they do not provide solutions to homework problems and suggests showing their work and reasoning for help. The person asking the question explains that they came up with the problem while trying to build a brace for a paraboloid shaped piece and thought of a similar problem from their son's math homework. They mention that the ratio of radius and height of the small and big cone are equal, but they do not know how to proceed further.
mathwiz123
Find the maximum area of a frustrum bounded by a paroloid and line y=0. (constraining parabola =-x^2 + 16.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it 4*64/3? (Quick mental calculation).

Can you show how you did it? Cause this is something I've thought about after my son showed me his math homework a few years back. Found this forum, and decided to see if you guys knew.

Sorry, we don't provide the solutions to homework problems here. If you show your work and explain your reasoning, we can help you when you get stuck. BTW, the "my son showed me this a few years back and I can't stop thinking about it" line is unnecessary -- you aren't going to trick us into doing your homework for you.

- Warren

I was actually serious...I understand that you find a lot of kids on the site. I thought of this problem today when trying to build a brace for a parabaloid shaped piece. I thought of a lot of different shapes to put in it. Cylinder, cone, etc. Frustrum came to mind and I thought of the homework problem. I'm sure I could consult any calculus textbook, but you folks seemed to provide interesting responses. If you want my "work" I know the ratio of radius and height of the "small" and "big" cone are equal. But that's all I know.

1. What is the maximum area of a frustrum with a parabola and line constraint?

The maximum area of a frustrum with a parabola and line constraint is determined by finding the optimal point of intersection between the parabola and line. This point will be the vertex of the parabola, which is also the point where the tangent line to the parabola is parallel to the line constraint.

2. How do you find the optimal point of intersection for the maximum area of a frustrum with a parabola and line constraint?

To find the optimal point of intersection, you can use the process of optimization. This involves taking the derivative of the function representing the area of the frustrum, setting it equal to zero, and solving for the value that maximizes the area. This value will be the x-coordinate of the optimal point of intersection.

3. Can the maximum area of a frustrum with a parabola and line constraint be calculated using calculus?

Yes, the maximum area of a frustrum with a parabola and line constraint can be calculated using calculus. The process of optimization, which involves taking the derivative and setting it equal to zero, is a common calculus technique used to find maximum or minimum values of a function.

4. How does the angle between the parabola and the line constraint affect the maximum area of a frustrum?

The angle between the parabola and the line constraint does not affect the maximum area of a frustrum. The maximum area is determined by the location of the optimal point of intersection, which is solely dependent on the slopes of the parabola and the line constraint.

5. Are there any real-world applications of finding the maximum area of a frustrum with a parabola and line constraint?

Yes, there are real-world applications of this concept in engineering and architecture. For example, when designing a bridge or a building, engineers may use this concept to determine the optimal angle and height of support structures to achieve maximum stability and efficiency.