Can a Reaction Occur Between Cyclohexane and Bromine Water?

• Thread starter danago
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reactions
In summary, during a class experiment, the reactivity of alkanes, alkenes, and aromatics was tested. One test involved mixing cyclohexane and bromine water, but no noticeable reaction occurred and the bromine water remained a reddish brown color. The question is whether to assume no reaction and not write an equation, or to write a partial substitution reaction equation. It would be clearer to state that no reaction occurred.
danago
Gold Member
Hey. In class, we did an experiment where we tested the reactivity of alkanes, alkenes and aromatics. One of the tests was a reaction between cyclohexane and bromine water. When we mixed them, nothing noticeable happened. The bromine water stayed a reddish brown colour. I now have to write an equation for this reaction.

My question is, in a situation like this, do i assume no reaction at all occured, and so an equation cannot be written? Would i write a partial substitution reaction equation?

Thanks for the help,
Dan.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right, no reaction should occur between these two molecules. I suppose if I had to write a reaction, I would just write cyclohexane + bromine --> cyclohexane + bromine. I think it would probably be clearer though to simply state that no reaction occurs.

What are hydrocarbons?

Hydrocarbons are organic compounds made up of hydrogen and carbon atoms. They are the main components of fossil fuels such as oil, natural gas, and coal.

Why do hydrocarbons react?

Hydrocarbons react because they have unsaturated bonds between carbon atoms, making them unstable and reactive. They also have a high carbon-hydrogen ratio, which makes them prone to oxidation reactions.

What are the most common reactions of hydrocarbons?

The most common reactions of hydrocarbons are combustion, addition, substitution, and cracking. Combustion is the reaction with oxygen to produce carbon dioxide and water. Addition reactions add atoms or groups to the hydrocarbon molecule. Substitution reactions replace one atom or group with another. Cracking breaks larger hydrocarbon molecules into smaller ones.

What factors affect the rate of hydrocarbon reactions?

The rate of hydrocarbon reactions can be affected by the concentration of reactants, temperature, presence of a catalyst, and the stability of the reactants. Higher concentrations, higher temperatures, and the use of a catalyst can increase the rate of reaction. Stable reactants may have slower reaction rates.

What are the applications of hydrocarbon reactions?

Hydrocarbon reactions have various applications in industries such as energy production, plastics manufacturing, and pharmaceuticals. They are also used in everyday products like gasoline, propane, and plastics. Additionally, hydrocarbons can be converted into other useful chemicals through reactions, expanding their range of applications.