Can anyone tell me where to buy an off-axis collimating lens?

• Thread starter rasgar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lens
In summary, the speaker is tired of looking for a specific type of lens and is asking for help in finding an off-axis collimating lens. They have already searched major suppliers and are open to custom-made options. They mention Fecker and Unertl as potential sources, but have not been able to find any relevant information from them.
rasgar
I'm tired of looking for mirrors to do my applications, so I was wondering if anyone knows where to find an off-axis collimating lens. I haven't been able to find one myself, not even in edmund optics or other major suppliers. If anyone does know, can you tell me where to get it and the place that has the best price. If it must be custom-made, please tell me the cheapest company to do that.

Science news on Phys.org
Fecker and Unertl used to do off-axis systems --- nowadays?

That didn't help. I think you might have spelled something incorrectly because I searched for Fecker and Unertl, yet found only binoculars, but no lens-related articles.

1. Where can I find an off-axis collimating lens?

Off-axis collimating lenses can be found at most scientific supply stores, as well as online retailers specializing in scientific equipment. Some examples include Thorlabs, Edmund Optics, and Newport.

2. What is the purpose of an off-axis collimating lens?

An off-axis collimating lens is used to collimate or make parallel a diverging or converging light beam that enters the lens at an angle, rather than directly along the optical axis. This is useful in applications such as laser alignment and optical communication.

3. How do I choose the right off-axis collimating lens?

The right off-axis collimating lens will depend on your specific application and the conditions of your setup. Factors to consider include the desired output beam diameter, focal length, and wavelength of light being used. It is important to consult with a knowledgeable supplier or do thorough research before making a selection.

4. Can I make my own off-axis collimating lens?

Off-axis collimating lenses are precision optical components that require specialized equipment and expertise to produce. It is not recommended to attempt to make your own off-axis collimating lens, as it requires precise control and alignment to achieve the desired results.

5. Are off-axis collimating lenses expensive?

The cost of an off-axis collimating lens will vary depending on the specific lens and supplier. Generally, they are considered to be more expensive than standard lenses due to their specialized design and manufacturing process. However, the cost may be worth it for the improved accuracy and convenience in certain experiments and applications.