Homework: Braking Force Magnitude

You don't need the minus sign for the magnitude. The question was a little unclear. In summary, the car's acceleration was -5.65 m/s^2 and the average force exerted on the car during braking was 5.763 kN. The distance traveled while braking was 14.663 meters.
XPX1

Homework Statement

Driving home from school one day you spot a ball rolling out into the street (Figure 5-18). You brake for 1.15 s, slowing your 1020 kg car from 16.0 m/s to 9.50 m/s.

a) What was the average force exerted on your car during braking?
Magnitude
_____ kN

(b) How far did you travel while braking?

Homework Equations

xf=xi+.5(vi+vf)t
vf^2=vi^2+2a(xf-xi)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been unable to figure out this problem!

From the information gathered, I know the following
vi=16.0
vf=9.5
t=1.15

now I do not know where to go from here, I've tried using the above formulas to find the acceleration so I can plug it into the Fnet=MA equation, but still I am kind of lost. How the heck do I find the average force exerted on the car while brakeing

Physics news on Phys.org
XPX1 said:

Homework Statement

Driving home from school one day you spot a ball rolling out into the street (Figure 5-18). You brake for 1.15 s, slowing your 1020 kg car from 16.0 m/s to 9.50 m/s.

a) What was the average force exerted on your car during braking?
Magnitude
_____ kN

(b) How far did you travel while braking?

Homework Equations

xf=xi+.5(vi+vf)t
vf^2=vi^2+2a(xf-xi)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been unable to figure out this problem!

From the information gathered, I know the following
vi=16.0
vf=9.5
t=1.15

now I do not know where to go from here, I've tried using the above formulas to find the acceleration so I can plug it into the Fnet=MA equation, but still I am kind of lost. How the heck do I find the average force exerted on the car while brakeing
Use your relevant equations and solve for Xf and a, setting xi = 0. Then yes use f=ma to solve for the average force during braking.

im still kind of confused, I think the equations I need to use for acceleration are vf=vi+axt, but I still got the question wrong, even for part b where it asks me how far it went! Somebody please halp!

vf=vi+axt then
9.5=16+1.15a

-6.5=1.15a

a=-5.65 am I not correct?

XPX1 said:
im still kind of confused, I think the equations I need to use for acceleration are vf=vi+axt, but I still got the question wrong, even for part b where it asks me how far it went! Somebody please halp!

vf=vi+axt then
9.5=16+1.15a

-6.5=1.15a

a=-5.65 am I not correct?

Your acceleration looks OK. How do you find the force? What distance did you get for b? Your equations are OK.

well b should be -5.65(1.15) which = -6.4975 but that is not correct for b.

and if I was to do the Fnet I would assume that Fnet=MA

Fnet= 1020(-5.65)

right?

XPX1 said:
well b should be -5.65(1.15) which = -6.4975 but that is not correct for b.

and if I was to do the Fnet I would assume that Fnet=MA

Fnet= 1020(-5.65)

right?

The force is correct once you get the units included. Multiply it out. The distance is not correct. Keeping track of units will help you know when things are not right. What you calculated is acceleration times time, which has units of velocity and is in fact the change in velocity. Go back to either of your two oringinal equations and compute xf - xi. That is the distance.

but how do I find xf or xi if I know xi = 0 and xf = ?

I plugged it into the position versus time graph and got xf=14.663

xf=xi+vixt+.5at^2

xf=0+16(1.15)+.5(-5.65)(1.15)^2

Woohoo I got b. correct! But now for a. Fnet=MA then Fnet= 1020(-5.65)

Fnet = -5763

Then the average force exerted on the car while breaking is -5763 kN?

kN I am guessing is kiloNewtons?

XPX1 said:
Woohoo I got b. correct! But now for a. Fnet=MA then Fnet= 1020(-5.65)

Fnet = -5763

Then the average force exerted on the car while breaking is -5763 kN?

kN I am guessing is kiloNewtons?
You are not keeping track of your units. 1Kg*m/s^2 = 1 Newton

so how do I convert -5763 to kiloNewtons?

Infact what is -5763? If the mass is kilograms and the acceleration was in.. meters?

Then.. -5763 would be kilograms right? 1 kilogram = 9.8 Newtons? and 1000 Newtons = 1 kiloNewton? so -5763 would be -57630?

XPX1 said:
so how do I convert -5763 to kiloNewtons?

Infact what is -5763? If the mass is kilograms and the acceleration was in.. meters?

Then.. -5763 would be kilograms right? 1 kilogram = 9.8 Newtons? and 1000 Newtons = 1 kiloNewton? so -5763 would be -57630?
You have to study up on the units. The acceleration is in meters/second^2. Velocity is in meters/second. Distance is in meters. And 1 Newton is shorthand for 1Kg*m/second^2. and 1000N = 1kN .

F=ma
F=
1050Kg(-5.65m/s^2) = -5763Kg*m/s^2 = -5763N
-5763N(1kN/1000N) = - 5.763kN

As an aside, you should note that the fprmula for weight, which is unrelated to this problem, is W=mg, so 1Kg weighs (1)9.8 Kg(m)/s^2 = 9.8 Newtons

-5.763 kN was not correct, I still don't understand!

XPX1 said:
-5.763 kN was not correct, I still don't understand!
Maybe the car was moving to the left. Try using +5.763kN.
EDIT: Oh, now i see the problem asked for the magnitude of the force, not the direction. The minus sign means that the force is opposite the direction of the car's motion. The magnitude of the force is 5.763kN.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of homework?

The purpose of homework is to reinforce and practice the knowledge and skills learned in class. It also helps students develop critical thinking and time management skills.

2. How much homework is too much?

There is no definitive answer to this question as the amount of homework can vary depending on grade level, subject, and individual student needs. However, it is generally recommended that students spend 10 minutes per grade level on homework each night (e.g. a 4th grader would have 40 minutes of homework).

3. How can parents help their children with homework?

Parents can help their children with homework by providing a quiet and distraction-free environment, encouraging and supporting their child, and assisting with difficult concepts or problems. However, it is important for parents to avoid doing the homework for their child.

4. What should I do if I don't understand my homework?

If you are struggling to understand your homework, it is important to ask for help. You can reach out to your teacher, a classmate, or a tutor for assistance. It is also helpful to review your notes and textbook for additional clarification.

5. How can I stay motivated to do my homework?

One way to stay motivated to do homework is to set specific and achievable goals for each assignment. Breaking down the work into smaller tasks can also make it more manageable. It can also help to take breaks and reward yourself after completing certain tasks.