Electric Potential Energy Question - Distance Between Charges and Ratio?

In summary, a positive charge +q1 is located to the left of a negative charge -q2. On a line passing through the two charges, there are two places where the total potential is zero. The first place is between the charges and is 4.00 cm to the left of the negative charge. The second place is 7.00 cm to the right of the negative charge.
GymBobClan

Homework Statement

A positive charge +q1 is located to the left of a negative charge -q2. On a line passing through the two charges, there are two places where the total potential is zero. The first place is between the charges and is 4.00 cm to the left of the negative charge. The second place is 7.00 cm to the right of the negative charge. (a) What is the distance between the charges? (b) Find q1/q2, the ratio of the magnitudes of the charges.

Homework Equations

Not sure which one to use. the EPE one or kq1/x = kq2/d-x

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok...This might be one of the most confusing questions I've ever encountered in Physics! I drew a diagram, but i had no clue what i was doing. I know the equation V = Kq/r is supposed to be used, but i don't know what to substitute in the problem! please show me how you do this problem. appreciate all the help i can get! WHAT IS Q1 AND Q2? my main problem

Book Answer: I only have part b, which is 3.67

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The only equation you need is

[tex]V = k \frac{q}{r}[/tex]

Some hints to solve the problem:
1. The total potential is the algebraic sum of the potentials as a result of the two charges.
2. A negative charge produces a negative potential while a positive charge results in a positive potential at a point (a positive test charge need to be pushed up against a positive charge).
3. You can eliminate k from the equations due to the fact that the sum is zero in both cases.
4. You can insert the distances in centimeters in the equations since the conversion factor, [tex]\times 10^{-2}[/tex], can be eliminated due to the fact that sum is zero.
5. Compare the ratios of the charges!

hey uhh can u tell me how u found the answer to part b?

1. What is electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the energy that a charged object possesses due to its position in an electric field. It is a form of potential energy that can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy, when the charged object moves.

2. How is electric potential energy related to distance between charges?

The electric potential energy between two charges is directly proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance between charges increases, the electric potential energy decreases, and vice versa.

3. What is the formula for calculating electric potential energy?

The formula for calculating electric potential energy is U = k(q1q2)/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

4. Can the distance between charges affect the ratio of electric potential energy?

Yes, the distance between charges can affect the ratio of electric potential energy. As the distance between charges increases, the ratio of electric potential energy also increases. This is because the electric potential energy is directly proportional to the distance between the charges.

5. How does the ratio of electric potential energy change when the distance between charges is doubled?

If the distance between charges is doubled, the ratio of electric potential energy will decrease by a factor of four. This is because the electric potential energy is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between charges. So, when the distance is doubled, the ratio decreases by a factor of 2 squared, which is 4.