Attachments in Brainteasers subforum

• Thread starter cristo
  • Start date
In summary, there seems to be a problem with the permissions on some of the attachments, and it's not clear what the solution is at the moment.
cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Whenever I (and other users, it seems) click on attachments in the brainteasers forum, I'm taken to a page saying I don't have the privileges to view the page. I can view attachments in all other forums, just not in the brainteasers.

Can anyone (most probably one of the admins) shed some light on this issue?

edit: It appears that PF contributors can see the attachments. Is it set up like this on purpose?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cristo said:
Whenever I (and other users, it seems) click on attachments in the brainteasers forum, I'm taken to a page saying I don't have the privileges to view the page. I can view attachments in all other forums, just not in the brainteasers.

Can anyone (most probably one of the admins) shed some light on this issue?

edit: It appears that PF contributors can see the attachments. Is it set up like this on purpose?

I found an example of an odd one that I remembered:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=114578

In there, I distinctly remember being able to view the attachments after I posted it (not sure how long after). So I assume that the attachments were approved (or whatever), but I can't actually view them now.

The link directs me to:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6514&d=1142687397

And it gives me the message:
the message said:
davee123, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

And, I'm pretty sure I'm not trying to sneakily do any administrative thing that I ought not do!

DaveE

Hmm...I don't know what the problem is, but I seem to recall this coming up before. There's no reason for you to not be able to view attachments, and I checked in there and see a thread that people are complaining about not seeing attachments in, and the attachment appears to be approved. Maybe something got messed up during the upgrade. We'll have to wait for Greg or Chroot to come along and look into the permissions settings.

In the meantime, maybe some of the attachments (at least the pictures) could be uploaded to a site like imageshack and a link provided. It's not ideal, but is a work-around until this can be resolved.

Hopefuly ,the attach will be viewable soon to everyone.
That depends on PF admins I guess.
"Time is not important,only Life is importantˇ"-Fifth Element
Hmm...Could it be the admins are too dedicated followers of that principle?

BTW,in the thread where the problem appears, no one got the continuation yet.:wink:

I seem to be having some odd experiences with the server at times, but I presume they are being worked on as I bring them up or someone else does, seems like the transition from alpha to beta wasn't 100% smoothe, can expect a few glitches though I supose.

Try ceasing to exist after your contributer status runs out for a glitch:biggrin:

Just giving this thread a bump, because it looks like this is still an issue. Something was posted today that's got the same problem. Although... I DO notice that it has "7 views", which means 7 people *were* able to see the image? Does that mean there might be something wrong with my account in particular?

DaveE

1. What are attachments in the Brainteasers subforum?

Attachments in the Brainteasers subforum refer to any images, documents, or other files that are attached to a post by a user. These attachments are often used to provide additional information or visual aids for the brain teasers being discussed.

2. How do I attach a file to my post in the Brainteasers subforum?

To attach a file to your post in the Brainteasers subforum, click on the "Attachments" button below the text editor. From there, you can upload a file from your computer or choose an existing file from your attachments list. Once the file is uploaded, click "Insert" to add it to your post.

3. Are there any restrictions on the types of files that can be attached in the Brainteasers subforum?

Yes, there are some restrictions on the types of files that can be attached in the Brainteasers subforum. Only certain image and document file types are allowed, such as jpg, png, gif, pdf, and doc. Any other file types will not be able to be attached.

4. Can I attach multiple files to my post in the Brainteasers subforum?

Yes, you can attach multiple files to your post in the Brainteasers subforum. Simply click on the "Attachments" button and upload or choose multiple files. Keep in mind that there may be a limit on the total size of attachments allowed per post.

5. How can I view attachments in a post on the Brainteasers subforum?

To view attachments in a post on the Brainteasers subforum, simply click on the attachment link below the post. This will open the attached file in a new window or tab, depending on your browser settings. You can also right-click on the attachment link and select "Save link as" to download the file to your computer.