Best Science Fiction Movie ever

I don't think that has anything to do with the Matrix...But I do think the Matrix was a pretty original idea...now whether it was the best ever...I don't know...but I still think it deserves some props for not being a sequel, remake, or having a book based on it.In summary, the conversation discussed various opinions on the best science fiction movies ever made. Some popular choices were Contact, Jurassic Park, Star Wars, Back to the Future, Star Trek, ET, Total Recall, Doctor Strangelove, Dune, and The Matrix. Other notable mentions included Forbidden Planet, The Time Machine, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Independence Day, and Alien. The
My personal favorite: T2

Honorable mention to Forbidden Planet, a spectacular piece for 1956.

Physics news on Phys.org
Terminator 2, Aliens are the best for my money.

Minority Report was an excellent movie, despite Tom Cruise.

moe darklight said:
- star-wars sixtilogy? (what's the word for 6?)
Latin prefixes suggest it's sexlogy.

Actually, it would be hexalogy, analogous to hexagon..

Sexology is what Dr. Ruth does. Or did. I'm old, but not as old as her. Fortunately.

arildno said:
Sexology is what Dr. Ruth does. Or did. I'm old, but not as old as her. Fortunately.

dr who? did it come in technicolor? :smile:

here in Canada we have sue johanson, she has a show called the sunday night sex show... she's like 60 now. I used to watch it more-- they would show it in school too sometimes in sex ed or she would do speeches at schools.

I tune in from time to time; it's educational, but mostly it's pretty funny when people call with the weirdest sex questions, I remember a call involving tomatoes and other vegetables ... and the funniest call I can remember I don't think i'd be allowed to post on this forum. The great thing is she doesn't even blink when people ask her the most outlandish questions, which is why she's so popular I think.

I enjoyed The Matrix. I am not a huge scifi fan. My preferred movie is either drama or documentry.

Mallignamius said:
Latin prefixes suggest it's sexlogy.

After three, I think you just say "saga."

Sagaology.

let's just settle on sexy sagalogy.

Blade Runner has emotion, action, artistry and a plot with dark, intrinsic beauty.

A. I. was melancholy - the ending still leaves me hanging.

2001, considering when it was made, was an excellent film technically (knowledge and modeling), and no doubt inspired many physicists. Which Oscars did it garner? Be sure to watch it on your deathbed.

Last edited:
sas3 said:
I think "COLOSSUS: The Forbin Project - 1969" was great.

Tron was good also.
However Tron Is A 'security threat' See the link below (WOW!)
http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2007/3/28/132751/380

Neither FBI nor DHS officials would comment on the matter, citing that they do not comment on ongoing investigations or alleged breaches of national security. However, they were willing to discuss general questions concerning security surrounding nuclear research. "We are carefully reviewing disclosure procedures and criteria concerning any nuclear information that could be misused by terrorists," said FBI agent Lirpa Sloof, official bureau spokesperson in Los Angeles. "We are mindful of the current global terror situation, and are working to ensure the continued safety of American interests and lives all over the world."
Lirpa Sloof...

Uh huh.

Lots of really great movies listed here. My favorites already posted are Blade Runner, Aliens 1 & 2, and Bicentennial Man. My favorite over-all would have to be John Carpenter's "The Thing."

Soylent Green is PEOPLE!

Is the new Dr Who series being shown in the US?

Huckleberry said:
Bicentennial Man.
Never bothered to see it. Didn't it get panned?

Huckleberry said:
John Carpenter's "The Thing."
After Alien, I would say this is the 2nd best horror film evar!

Chi Meson said:
Oh I saw that one! Every living animal on the planet disappeared except for those who were momentarily dead when the ...whatever... happened.

I still think "Outland" holds up well after 20 years.

I think that movie was made in New Zealand or Australia and was either called "The Silent Earth" or "The Quiet Earth". I saw it and THought it was good.

The reason nobody wanted to send anyone else through the machine in Contact was becasue everyone thought it hadn't worked. JOdie Fosters character was the only one who experianced anything. TO everyone else the sphere simply passed through the device and dropped into the water.

DaveC426913 said:
Never bothered to see it. Didn't it get panned?
I don't know. I rarely check reviews of movies I'm sure I want to see. This was one of them, and I liked it very much.

After Alien, I would say this is the 2nd best horror film evar!
I would give the nod to The Thing over Alien, but both are excellent, classic sci-fi.

Some of those truly awful, Ed Woods-style SF B-movies can be good too, that is if they are indeed truly awful. My wife and I keep hoping some network will show The Twisted Brain once again. That, and the return of MST3K.

I've got to say that Alien grabbed me hard, right out of the gate, but fades with repeated viewings, so Blade Runner takes the top spot. I've got the latest director's cut without Decker's narration, and (if you haven't seen the original in a while) the lack of narration adds complexity to the movie and forces the viewer to try to "connect the dots" in a way that is better than the original.

arildno said:
Alien
Blade Runner
Luv Riddley Scott's trademark smoke in Blade Runner.

Yes that's my list with a couple more: Matrix 1(only 1) and Gattica. Gattica's '90s scifi plot seems to be converging on reality. Fine acting from Hawke, Jude Law and Uma. Gore Vidal even shows up. Uma of course brings more than acting, much mo.

Last edited:
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension.

I don't remember much of the movie now, except it was outrageous; throw in the title and it becomes a "not to miss."

*Voted # 93 of the Top 100 Sci-Fi Movies of all time by: OFCS (Online Film Critics Society)

*2001: A Space Odyssey Named the Greatest Sci-Fi Film of All Time By the Online Film Critics Society (http://ofcs.rottentomatoes.com/pages/pr/top100scifi )

Last edited by a moderator:
EnumaElish said:
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension.
It is a great cult classic, with an ensemble cast.

blade_runner.png

1. Blade Runner - Harrison Ford, nuff said. Also has one of the best movie endings ever.

2. 2001 - Amazing music, and I loved Hal.

3. Jurassic Park - Dinosaurs are sweet.

4. The Empire Strikes Back - Harrison Ford being awesome. Oh, and Vader is Luke's father.

5. The Terminator - Robot killing machine = awesome.

6. Aliens - Better than the first if you ask me. More action, less claustrophobic terror.

7. Stargate - Very original for it's time.

8. Back to the Future - Time travel with a fun story.

9. Star Trek: First Contact - I don't really like Star Trek, but this movie really impressed me. It gave Star Trek a darker feel, and it wasn't bogged down with philosophical mumbo-jumbo.

10. Superman: Returns - Superman isn't my favorite superhero, not by a long shot, but this movie was really good.

11. The Iron Giant - Kid's cartoon, but still really good.

Robinson Crusoe on Mars. I love that movie. My oldest daughter requested the DVD for Christmas and I'm going to borrow it.