Can Inappropriate Thread Titles Be Cleaned Up in Tutorial Sections?

• Thread starter FredGarvin
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker suggests setting a time limit for redirects to expire in the tutorial sections and proposes setting permissions to prevent inappropriate postings in that directory. They also mention confusion among some users about the meaning of "tutorial." The issue of old redirects is brought up and resolved by setting them to expire within an hour. The speaker also mentions moving a homework question out of the tutorials forum and creating a sticky post to clarify the appropriate content for that section.
FredGarvin
Science Advisor
Is there any way to have all of the inappropriate thread titles removed from the tutorial sections? I like to link to tutorials in posts and with a lot of the "moved" thread titles in there it just makes it take a bit longer because a lot of good posts get pushed back a couple of pages. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Redirects gone.

I think one day should be long enough for redirects to remain.

That should be plenty. As a "good housekeeping" policy, whenever I move a thread I set the redirect to expire in 2 days.

I usually set the redirects a bit longer, expiring in 3-5 days, if the person making the post in there is brand new since I don't know how quickly they'll check back, and they obviously are posting there because they don't know the site well enough yet to know where their post might have gone.

Groovy. Thanks guys.

There were probably a bunch of old redirects left lingering around from before we had the ability to make them expire after a few days. Thanks for bringing that to our attention.

I think it needs cleaning again... Sorry to bother you folks.

Got 'em. The existing redirects will expire within an hour. :wink:

Would it be worth setting permissions (restrictions) on that directory, although that might defeat the purpose of interactivity?

I just moved another homework question out of the tutorials forum, and made a sticky post that says "don't post homework here," and explains what kinds of postings are appropriate.

I think some people are confused by the word "tutorial." They associate it with personal "tutoring" on homework problems etc.

Thanks, jt!

1. What is the purpose of tutorial sections clean up?

The purpose of tutorial sections clean up is to maintain a well-organized and efficient learning environment. By cleaning up outdated or irrelevant tutorial sections, it ensures that students have access to accurate and up-to-date information.

2. How often should tutorial sections be cleaned up?

The frequency of tutorial sections clean up can vary depending on the specific course or subject. However, it is generally recommended to perform clean up at least once a semester or every few months to keep the content relevant and organized.

3. Who is responsible for tutorial sections clean up?

In most cases, the instructor or course coordinator is responsible for tutorial sections clean up. However, students can also play a role by reporting outdated or incorrect information to the instructor or course coordinator.

4. What is the best approach for tutorial sections clean up?

The best approach for tutorial sections clean up is to systematically review each section and assess its relevance and accuracy. This can be done by comparing the content to current course materials or consulting with subject matter experts.

5. How can tutorial sections clean up improve the learning experience?

By regularly cleaning up tutorial sections, students can have access to the most relevant and accurate information. This can improve their learning experience by providing them with a clear and organized understanding of the course material.