Top 10 Journals to Publish In After Physical Review

• Thread starter plxmny
  • Start date
In summary, the appropriate forum for the question "Assuming that Physical Review is the #1 journal to get published in, what would the top 10 be?" is the General Discussion forum, as it is not a technical or homework-related question.
plxmny
Gentlemen,

What is the appropriate forum for the following question:

"Assuming that Physical Review is the #1 journal to get published in,
what would the top 10 be?

Love,
Plxmny"

Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly, there are a lot of ladies here on the PF. Second, we generally are not so formal as to require posts to start off with "Ladies and Gentlemen" (start your engines!).

Anyway, despite being about physics, your question is not really technical in nature, and is not homework. I'd vote for the General Discussion forum.

I tried the academic and career guidance one. I don't really know WHAT is in the
general discussion one!

plxmny said:
I don't really know WHAT is in the
general discussion one!
No one does :uhh: , its a strange, strange place in there...

plxmny said:
I tried the academic and career guidance one. I don't really know WHAT is in the
general discussion one!

I moved it to General Discussion just now. That is the closest match.

berkeman said:
I moved it to General Discussion just now. That is the closest match.

Please don't take offense, but I respectfully disagree. Gaining publication in a scholarly journal is very important to a physicist, and if one is rejected by Physical Review, what is the next best choice?

I know that there are some journals that will publish crack-pottery, and others that actually charge the author for publication.

So my thinking about career guidance is - what are the best targets for publication for a physicist trying to establish a good reputation?

Thanks,
Plxmny (my real name!)

No offense taken. But based on what I know about the PF, and how it works, I still think your post belongs in GD. If you disagree still and would like to get another opinion, please click on the REPORT post button in my post #5 above, and ask the other Mentors to see if they also think GD is appropriate. (At least I think the REPORT button will show up in my posts -- Mentors may be immune from getting reported, but I'm not sure. If there is no REPORT post button in my posts, just REPORT your own post and explain your request.)

The GD forum is as good as any for this discussion, so I agree with the move.

Zz.

I agree that for the nature of this question, General Discussion an appropriate location. For that matter, there was a recent thread there on journal impact factor which might help you in answering your question as well (unless that's the one you're discussing here and I just didn't notice who started it).

1. What is "Physical Review" and why is it important?

Physical Review is a leading scientific journal published by the American Physical Society. It covers a broad range of topics in physics and is highly respected in the scientific community. Publishing in Physical Review can greatly enhance the credibility and impact of a scientist's research.

2. Why should I consider publishing in the top 10 journals after Physical Review?

While Physical Review is a prestigious journal, publishing in other top journals can further increase the visibility and reach of your research. These top 10 journals are also highly regarded in the scientific community and can help establish your expertise in a specific area of physics.

3. What are the criteria for a journal to be considered a top journal?

The criteria for a journal to be considered a top journal may vary, but some common factors include high impact factor, rigorous peer-review process, and a wide readership. Additionally, the reputation and influence of the journal within a specific field of study are also important factors.

4. How can I determine which top 10 journals are the best fit for my research?

To determine which top 10 journals are the best fit for your research, consider the scope and focus of your study, as well as the journal's specific requirements and guidelines. It may also be helpful to look at the types of articles and authors that are typically published in each journal.

5. Is it necessary to publish in these top journals to have a successful career in physics?

No, it is not necessary to publish in these top journals to have a successful career in physics. While publishing in prestigious journals can certainly enhance your reputation and impact as a scientist, the quality and significance of your research are ultimately what matters most.