Good chemistry books/videos/tutorials?

• Studying
  • Thread starter lLovePhysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, for self-studying Chemistry, some recommended resources include the book "Chemistry" by Silberberg, available on Amazon for a low price, and the MIT opencourseware for free online videos. Other suggested books are "Chemistry" by Petrucci for a comprehensive overview and "Organic Chemistry" by Wade or Voldhart for a focus on organic chemistry. For inorganic chemistry, "Inorganic Chemistry" by Huheey may be a good choice depending on the level of study. Zumdahl's 7th edition is considered average and may not be as helpful for self-studying, while Berkeley's podcasts may be too confusing.
lLovePhysics
I'm going to self-study Chemistry this year and I need some very good books/videos/tutorials that I can absorb and comprehend the information "easily" from.

Is Zumdahls 7th ed good? Can anyone recommend other texts?

Also, does anyone know of any free online videos, tutorials, or any source that might aid me in self-studying chemistry? I prefer having a teacher teach me so videos are very helpful to me. I checked out Berkely's podcasts but they were sort of too confusing (I didn't know what they were talking about).

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
chemistry by silberberg is by far the best book I've learned from (comparing with atkins, brown, and mcmurry)

you can get his book on amazon for like 5 bucks!

I used Zumdahl's for my first year general chem course. From what I remember it was decent, but it really sucked in anything related to physical chemistry. Especially when he tried to explain particle in a box. That was absolute crap. However, thermodynamics was done somewhat decently but assumed you had strong integral calc (which at that time I never knew). The organic chemistry section wasn't good either, as most of it was way too introductory. Other than that, it had some good exercises that helped reinforce topics.

I've looked at Silberberg as well and it seemed to cover pretty much everything Zumdahl had except with more emphasis on physical chem and inorganic chem. I can't really say how good it was, but all I can tell you is Zumdahl is average and sufficient for self-study.

Check out the MIT opencourseware, they usually have good videos, as for good books, it depends on the topic you want to study, a good all-round book is Petrucci's Chemistry. For organic chemistry I would recommend Wade, or Voldhart (I hate Carey and McMurry)
for inorganic chemistry it really depends on the level, i like Huheey

I would recommend starting with the basics and building a strong foundation in chemistry before moving on to more advanced topics. Zumdahl's 7th edition is a popular and well-respected textbook, but there are also many other options available such as "Chemistry: The Central Science" by Brown, LeMay, Bursten, Murphy, and Woodward or "Chemistry" by Chang and Goldsby. It's important to find a textbook that works for your learning style and that you can easily comprehend the information from.

In terms of free online resources, there are many great options available. Khan Academy has a comprehensive series of chemistry videos and tutorials that are easy to follow and understand. Crash Course Chemistry on YouTube is also a popular and engaging option. MIT OpenCourseWare and Coursera also offer free online courses and lectures on chemistry that may be helpful for self-study.

Additionally, I would recommend checking out your local library for chemistry textbooks and resources. Many libraries offer online access to digital textbooks and databases that can supplement your self-study.

Remember, self-studying chemistry can be challenging, so don't hesitate to reach out for help from a tutor or your local science community if you encounter difficulties. Good luck on your learning journey!

1. What are the essential topics that a good chemistry book/video/tutorial should cover?

A good chemistry resource should cover topics such as atomic structure, chemical bonding, chemical reactions, stoichiometry, and thermodynamics. These fundamental concepts are essential for understanding more complex topics in chemistry.

2. What makes a chemistry book/video/tutorial user-friendly?

A user-friendly chemistry resource should have clear and concise explanations, plenty of examples and practice problems, and interactive elements such as diagrams and animations. It should also be well-organized and easy to navigate.

3. Are there any recommended chemistry books/videos/tutorials for beginners?

Yes, some popular chemistry resources for beginners include "Chemistry for Dummies" by John T. Moore, "Crash Course Chemistry" videos on YouTube, and Khan Academy's chemistry tutorials. These resources offer a comprehensive overview of basic chemistry concepts.

4. Are there any chemistry books/videos/tutorials that cater to specific learning styles?

Yes, there are chemistry resources that cater to visual learners, auditory learners, and hands-on learners. For example, "The Cartoon Guide to Chemistry" by Larry Gonick uses humorous illustrations to explain chemistry concepts, while "Chemistry in Context" by American Chemical Society includes interactive activities and real-world examples.

5. Can chemistry books/videos/tutorials be used as a replacement for traditional classroom instruction?

While chemistry resources can be a great supplement to traditional classroom instruction, they should not be used as a replacement. It is important to have a qualified instructor who can provide personalized feedback and guide students through hands-on experiments, which are crucial for understanding chemistry concepts.