Calculating Final Speed of 2.00kg Block of Ice Sliding Down Inclined Plane

In summary, a block of ice with mass 2.00kg slides 0.750m down an inclined plane at an angle of 36.9 degrees below the horizontal. Starting from rest and ignoring friction, the final speed of the block can be found by calculating the component of the weight force in the direction of the slope using F=ma, or by using conservation of energy and equating potential energy to kinetic energy. Using the latter method, the final speed was calculated to be 2.97m/s. It is recommended to use energy conservation when possible as it is simpler and less prone to errors.
EvanQ

Homework Statement

A block of ice with mass 2.00kg slides 0.750m down an inclined plane that slopes downward at an angle of 36.9degrees below the horizontal.

f the block of ice starts from rest, what is its final speed? You can ignore friction.

Homework Equations

F=ma, trig equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

not really sure how to tackle this one.
i have initial velocity of 0, angle, mass and distance, but i can't figure out how to tie it all together.

should i be tackling it one dimension at a time? seeing as i know the vertical acceleration and angle?

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the component of the downward force (weight) in the direction of the slope.
Then just f=ma to get the acceleration and v^2 = u^2 + 2as to get final speed.

Or from conservation of energy. Find the vertical distance equivalent to 0.75m at 36.9deg
then use PE = mgh = KE = 1/2 mV^2

sweet thanks heaps.
used the conservation formula and got 2.97m/s which was correct.

My tip is to always use energy conservation if you can. It's a lot simpler than getting all the forces in the right directions and less prone to errors.

I always use that work-energy equation. (Assuming that there's nothing like potential energy)

I guess, energy conservation can sometimes put you in trouble.

What is the formula for calculating final speed of a 2.00kg block of ice sliding down an inclined plane?

The formula for calculating final speed is v = √(2gh), where v is the final speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the inclined plane.

What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8 m/s² on Earth, which is the rate at which objects fall towards the ground.

What is the mass of a 2.00kg block of ice?

The mass of a 2.00kg block of ice is 2.00 kilograms, which is a standard unit of measurement for mass.

How do you determine the height of an inclined plane?

The height of an inclined plane can be determined by measuring the vertical distance from the base to the top of the plane.

Can the final speed of the block of ice be greater than the initial speed?

Yes, the final speed of the block of ice can be greater than the initial speed if the inclined plane is steep enough and there is no friction slowing down the block.