Take partial differential equations or not

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of partial differential equations (PDEs) in mechanical engineering and whether or not it is necessary to take a PDE course. The speakers share their own experiences and opinions, with some stating that PDEs are crucial for understanding engineering concepts while others believe it may not be necessary for certain industry jobs. The conversation also briefly mentions the use of Fourier series in PDEs and recommends a textbook, "Applied Partial Differential Equations" by Haberman, for learning about PDEs. The book "Fourier Series and Boundary Value Problems" by Brown and Churchill is also mentioned as a cheaper alternative.
Link-
Hi,

I'm an undergrad student on Mechanical Engineer, right now I am taking my last math class in my curriculum, Numerical Analysis. I was thinking of taking the partial differential equations class, that is not in my curriculum, to improve my math skills and knowledge.

But my question is How important is partial differential equations on mechanical engineering? and there is a big different between ordinary and partial differential equations?

People, what do you recommend?

Physics news on Phys.org
pdes are very important everywhere. take it

I am an undergraduate mechanical engineer as well, who decided to take the two course PDE sequence at my school. I think it'd be wise if you're going to grad school, but would be extraneous if you're going into industry.

ekrim said:
I am an undergraduate mechanical engineer as well, who decided to take the two course PDE sequence at my school. I think it'd be wise if you're going to grad school, but would be extraneous if you're going into industry.

Yes, I will be going to grad school. I think I will take the course.

i wish i had taken it.

Would this apply to EE's? (that are not going to grad school for EE)?

every EE and ME student should accept the enjoyable torment of PDE.

the 3 fundamental pdes are: the wave equation, the heat equation, and laplaces equation.

do any of these topics sound important to your field?

mathwonk said:
the 3 fundamental pdes are: the wave equation, the heat equation, and laplaces equation.

do any of these topics sound important to your field?

How about Fourier series?

The pdes course is mixed with Fourier series.

Last edited:
ekrim said:

How can you say that PDE's are extraneous if going ito industry? I am in industry and I use them every day.

Dr Transport said:
How can you say that PDE's are extraneous if going ito industry? I am in industry and I use them every day.

Well, at least for entry level engineering jobs and less research oriented engineering jobs (which most engineers with BS degrees and many with MS degrees would hold) do not extensively require advanced mathematics, as most highly computational tasks are done with a computer program. This is just my observation from my limited experience.

However, understanding PDEs and other more advanced mathematical topics are essential to understanding many engineering and physical concepts. For this reason, knowing PDEs is essential.

user101 said:
Would this apply to EE's? (that are not going to grad school for EE)?

Fourier analysis and PDEs are ubiquitous in any electrical engineering curriculum and are essential for understanding many EE concepts.

Dr Transport said:

Sorry, I was just referring to the average out-of-college job, where all the necessary information on PDE's would be learned in your mechanical engineering classes.

leright said:
Well, at least for entry level engineering jobs and less research oriented engineering jobs (which most engineers with BS degrees and many with MS degrees would hold) do not extensively require advanced mathematics, as most highly computational tasks are done with a computer program. This is just my observation from my limited experience.

However, understanding PDEs and other more advanced mathematical topics are essential to understanding many engineering and physical concepts. For this reason, knowing PDEs is essential.

I wouldn't say that, I work with many young engineers who have nothing but a BS degree and they use PDE's all the time. Having worked in the aerospace industry in the past, everyone from propulsion to thermites to operational analysists work with PDEs...

fourier series are atechnique for solving des and pdes.

I would like to buy a book on PDE, to start some reading before I could get the PDE course.

I found the book used by the Math Department "Fourier Series and Boundary Value Problems" but before buying a book I will like to know which book do you guys recommend.

Which book for learning PDE do you guys recommend?

A fairly standard PDE textbook is "Applied Partial Differential Equations" by Haberman.

Just out of curiosity, is your course textbook "Fourier Series and Boundary Value Problems" by Brown and Churchill?

las3rjock said:
A fairly standard PDE textbook is "Applied Partial Differential Equations" by Haberman.

Just out of curiosity, is your course textbook "Fourier Series and Boundary Value Problems" by Brown and Churchill?

Yes that's the course book.

Thanks

las3rjock said:

Does the "Fourier Series and Boundary Value Problems" by Brown and Churchill is a good book, because is very very cheap on amazon.

1. Should I take partial differential equations as a science student?

It depends on your specific field of study and career goals. If you are pursuing a degree or career in a field that heavily utilizes PDEs, then it would be beneficial to take the course. However, if you do not have a strong background in calculus and linear algebra, it may be more challenging.

2. How difficult is it to learn partial differential equations?

PDEs can be challenging to learn, as they require a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. However, with dedication and practice, it is possible to understand and apply the concepts effectively.

3. What are the real-world applications of partial differential equations?

PDEs are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics, to model and analyze complex systems and phenomena. They are particularly useful for describing systems that involve multiple variables and change over time.

4. Do I need to know how to code to work with partial differential equations?

While coding can be helpful for solving PDEs numerically, it is not a requirement. Many PDE problems can be solved analytically using mathematical techniques and software like Mathematica or MATLAB.

5. What are some resources for learning partial differential equations?

There are many textbooks, online courses, and video lectures available for learning PDEs. Some recommended resources include "Partial Differential Equations for Scientists and Engineers" by Stanley J. Farlow and the online course "Partial Differential Equations" on Coursera taught by Dr. Ambar Sengupta.