Electronics, Computer science or Physics

Ultimately, a combination of knowledge and skills from different disciplines will be beneficial for designing your own microprocessors and microcontrollers. In summary, if you want to pursue a career in robotics and mechatronics, it would be beneficial to obtain a BS or MS in fields such as mathematics, physics, computer science, or electrical engineering. These fields will provide a strong foundation for learning the necessary skills and knowledge to design your own microprocessors and microcontrollers, as well as specialize in different areas of robotics.
sterproj
Hi, I'm a mechatronics and robotics student with the inteded speciallity robotics.
I plan to to make a BS or a MS in these fields since, the college doesn't cover all the robotics subjects. I know allready C/C++ assembly and some notions about artificial intelligence(image processing, shape recognition, egde detection), but I want to know to design my own microprocessors, microcontrollers.
What do you sugest?
A BS in mathematics will cover all these subjects? I suppose is true since modern physics
is mainly applied math, the same goes for computer science. As for electronics I think in the future the the robot brains and circuits will be no more electron based-mayby chemical, optical, or biological(or perhaps positronic or gravitonic). This final statement
is the reason for which I think a BS in physics will help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
A MS in robotics, computer science, or electrical engineering would also be a good option. Depending on your interests, you could focus on different areas such as mobile robotics, autonomous systems, control systems, embedded systems, artificial intelligence, simulation, and more. Additionally, courses in mathematics and electronics will provide a strong foundation for further study in these fields.

Based on your interests in mechatronics, robotics, and designing your own microprocessors and microcontrollers, I would suggest pursuing a degree in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering with a focus on embedded systems. These fields will provide a strong foundation in programming, electronics, and hardware design, which are essential skills for creating and controlling robots.

A degree in Mathematics can also be beneficial, as it will provide a strong background in problem-solving and critical thinking, which are important skills for designing complex systems. However, it may not cover all the specific subjects related to robotics and mechatronics.

A degree in Physics can also be helpful, as it will provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles of motion, energy, and forces, which are crucial in designing robots. However, it may not cover the practical skills and techniques needed for hands-on work in robotics.

Ultimately, the best approach would be to combine courses from various fields to tailor your education towards your specific interests and career goals. You can also consider pursuing a minor or additional courses in fields such as Artificial Intelligence, Control Systems, or Materials Science to broaden your knowledge and skills in robotics. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is the difference between electronics and computer science?

Electronics is the study of the flow of electrons and their behavior in electronic devices, while computer science is the study of computers and their applications. Electronics focuses more on the physical components and their circuitry, while computer science deals with the software and algorithms that make computers function.

2. How are physics and electronics related?

Physics is the science that studies the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world, including the behavior of matter and energy. Electronics is a branch of physics that specifically deals with the flow of electrons and their behavior in electronic devices.

3. What are some common applications of computer science?

Some common applications of computer science include software development, computer programming, data analysis, web development, and artificial intelligence. It is a broad field that has many practical applications in various industries and fields.

4. Can electronics and computer science be combined?

Yes, electronics and computer science can be combined in many ways. For example, electronic devices such as computers, smartphones, and tablets rely on both hardware and software to function. In addition, computer scientists often use their knowledge of electronics to design and develop new technologies.

5. Why is physics important in understanding electronics and computer science?

Physics provides the fundamental principles and laws that govern the behavior of matter and energy, which is essential in understanding how electronic devices and computer systems work. Without a solid understanding of physics, it would be challenging to design and develop new technologies in these fields.