Twin Paradox: Why Twin On Ship Ages Slower?

In summary, the twin paradox is explained by the fact that the twin on the ship ages slower due to their velocity with respect to the twin on Earth. However, from the twin on the ship's perspective, the twin on Earth would appear to age slower. This is because the Earth is also moving fast with respect to the ship, causing time dilation. The situation is not symmetric and is resolved in both special and general relativity. The concept of proper lengths of world lines is used to calculate the time difference between the twins. Additionally, the Doppler effect can also be used to explain the twin paradox. However, it is important to note that the speed of light is absolute and cannot be exceeded, even in scenarios where two objects are moving
patl
The way the twin paradox is explained, the twin on the ship ages slower than the twin on Earth because he is moving at velocity with respect to the twin on earth. This makes sense from the twin on Earth's reference frame, but wouldn't the twin on the ship see it the opposite. From his viewpoint, the twin on Earth is aging slower? So from his viewpoint, he should be older than the twin on Earth upon returning because the Earth had been moving fast with respect to him.

Maybe the example is always just stated from the twin on Earth's perspective, but that's never explicitly stated. Sometimes it made to sounds like there is an absolute velocity in the universe and the twin on the ship IS moving fast with respect to the Earth and not the other way around. I know this is not true, but could someone clarify? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi patl, welcome to the forum.

First, there are many threads in this forum that answer your questions. To summarize, there is no paradox because the situation is not symmetric. One twin blasts off in a rocket and accelerates on the outward journey, and decelerates on the return.

It is resolved in general relativity because the twins travel along different world lines which have different proper lengths.

Last edited:
A special relativity answer can be seen if you realize that the twin going off in the rocket is also going fast relative to the place he is traveling to. For example if he is going to a star ten light years away. By traveling near the speed of light, the distance gets foreshortened and the time taken becomes (to him) a lot less than ten years, even though it looks like more than ten years to the brother on earth. The same thing happens when he comes back. As a result the trip to the traveller appears to have taken a short time, while the Earth brother experiences an elapsed time of over twenty years.

Mentz114 said:
It is resolved in general relativity because the twins travel along different world lines which have different proper lengths.
The different proper lengths of the world lines can be calculated in special relativity also. There is no need to invoke general relativity.

Thanks for the responses guys. So, my last question is, from the perspective of the man on the shuttle, is the clock on Earth running faster or slower than his own clock. From his perspecitve, the rest of the universe is in motion so i would expect him to "see" the Earth clock running slower than his. If that were the case though, how could more time ellapse on Earth than on the shuttle?

Lets say the man left at noon and the trip took 10 hours based on his clock. If he could somehow watch the Earth clock the whole time, and it was running at say, half the speed, when he came back, wouldn't the Earth clock register 5PM while his clock registered 10PM? However, the way the example is stated, it seems that the Earth clock is running at twice the speed of his, meaning that it would register 8AM when he got back.

I realize i am probably thinking about this the wrong way, so i figured i'd just put the example as i see it currently so you can see where i am going wrong.

patl said:
Thanks for the responses guys. So, my last question is, from the perspective of the man on the shuttle, is the clock on Earth running faster or slower than his own clock. From his perspecitve, the rest of the universe is in motion so i would expect him to "see" the Earth clock running slower than his. If that were the case though, how could more time ellapse on Earth than on the shuttle?

Lets say the man left at noon and the trip took 10 hours based on his clock. If he could somehow watch the Earth clock the whole time, and it was running at say, half the speed, when he came back, wouldn't the Earth clock register 5PM while his clock registered 10PM? However, the way the example is stated, it seems that the Earth clock is running at twice the speed of his, meaning that it would register 8AM when he got back.

I realize i am probably thinking about this the wrong way, so i figured i'd just put the example as i see it currently so you can see where i am going wrong.

I haven't done the analysis, but I suspect you have to see what he sees when he stops to turn around. I presume the clock issue would then be resolved.

How about this:

If you are moving 0.7c in a spaceship, and pass a spaceship headed in the opposite direction at 0.7c, does that mean you view his clock as moving backwards because he is moving at 1.4c with respect to you? And when its said that you can't go faster than the speed of light, doesn't this scenario violate this. Like, speed of light with respect to what? With respect to the other ship, you are going faster than the speed of light. Or is there some 'absolute' speed in the universe -- something I've always thought not to be the case.

Last edited:
patl said:
How abuot this:

If you are moving 0.7c in a spaceship, and pass a spaceship headed in the opposite direction at 0.7c, does that mean you view his clock as moving backwards because he is moving at 1.4c with respect to you? And when its said that you can't go faster than the speed of light, doesn't this scenario violate this. Like, speed of light with respect to what? With respect to the other ship, you are going faster than the speed of light. Or is there some 'absolute' speed in the universe -- something I've always thought not to be the case.

Velocities don't add by u+v=w but by

[tex]\frac{u+v}{1+\frac{uv}{c^2}}=w[/tex]

So in this example, you would measure the others spaceship as having a relative velocity of 0.94c.

Notice that if v is very small in comparison to c, the answer comes out to almost the same as u+v

ah, ok, gotcha. thanks Janus

1. Why is the Twin Paradox important in the field of physics?

The Twin Paradox is important in the field of physics because it challenges the concept of time dilation and the theory of relativity. It also helps us better understand the effects of traveling at high speeds on time perception.

2. Can the Twin Paradox actually occur in real life?

While the Twin Paradox is a thought experiment, its principles have been observed in experiments with atomic clocks and astronauts in space. However, due to the limitations of current technology, it is not possible for a human to travel at the speeds necessary for the paradox to occur.

3. How does the Twin Paradox illustrate the concept of time dilation?

The Twin Paradox shows the effects of time dilation by comparing the aging of the twin on the moving spaceship to the twin on Earth. As the spaceship travels at high speeds, time appears to pass slower for the twin on the spaceship compared to the twin on Earth, illustrating the concept of time dilation.

4. Is the twin on the spaceship actually aging slower?

No, both twins experience time passing at the same rate from their own perspectives. However, due to the effects of time dilation, the twin on the spaceship will appear to have aged slower to the twin on Earth when they are reunited.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the Twin Paradox?

The principles of the Twin Paradox have been applied in the development of technologies such as GPS, which relies on accurate time measurements to determine location. It also helps us understand the effects of time dilation on space travel and the aging of astronauts.