Linear Algebra: Linear Transformations

In summary, the homework statement is that T is a linear transformation. The equations for if c is a scalar show that T(cu) = cT(u) and T(u + v) = T(u) + T(v). The attempt at a solution showed that if c is a scalar, then T(cx) = T(c (x (subscript 1) , x (subscript 2) , x (subscript 3) ) and that T is a linear transformation. Finally, the conclusion is that T is a linear transformation.
Hurricane3

Homework Statement

let T: R[tex]^{3}[/tex] -> R[tex]^{3}[/tex] be the mapping that projects each vector x = (x(subscript 1) , x(subscript 2) , x(subscript 3) ) onto the plane x(subscript 2) = 0. Show that T is a linear transformation.

Homework Equations

if c is a scalar...
T(cu) = cT(u)

T(u + v) = T(u) + T(v)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I don't know if I proved the first condition correctly, but I have:

T(cx) = T(c (x (subscript 1) , x (subscript 2) , x (subscript 3) )
= T (c x (subscript 1) , c x (subscript 2) , c x (subscript 3) )
= ( c x (subscript 1) , c 0 , c x (subscript 3) )
= c T (x)

Did I do this correctly??

And same with the second condition... I have:
T ( x + 0 ) = T ( (x (subscript 1), x (subscript 2) , x (subscript 3) ) + ( 0 , 0 , 0 ) )
= T ( x(subscript 1) , x (subscript 2) , x (subscript 3) ) + T ( 0 , 0 , 0)
= ( x(subscript 1) , 0 , x (subscript 3) ) + ( 0 , 0 , 0)
= T(x) + T(0)

Did I do this correctly as well??

And my conclusion is that this is a linear transformation...

Oh and sorry about the x(subscript #)... i tried using the Latex Reference thing, but it shows the subscripts as superscripts...

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
For addition v has to be an arbitrary vector (you assumed v = 0.)

Hurricane3 said:

Homework Statement

let T: R[tex]^{3}[/tex] -> R[tex]^{3}[/tex] be the mapping that projects each vector x = (x(subscript 1) , x(subscript 2) , x(subscript 3) ) onto the plane x(subscript 2) = 0. Show that T is a linear transformation.

Homework Equations

if c is a scalar...
T(cu) = cT(u)

T(u + v) = T(u) + T(v)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I don't know if I proved the first condition correctly, but I have:

T(cx) = T(c (x (subscript 1) , x (subscript 2) , x (subscript 3) )
= T (c x (subscript 1) , c x (subscript 2) , c x (subscript 3) )
= ( c x (subscript 1) , c 0 , c x (subscript 3) )
I would put one more step in here:
= c(x (subscript 1) , 0 , x (subscript 3) )
= c T (x)

Did I do this correctly??

And same with the second condition... I have:
T ( x + 0 ) = T ( (x (subscript 1), x (subscript 2) , x (subscript 3) ) + ( 0 , 0 , 0 ) )
= T ( x(subscript 1) , x (subscript 2) , x (subscript 3) ) + T ( 0 , 0 , 0)
= ( x(subscript 1) , 0 , x (subscript 3) ) + ( 0 , 0 , 0)
= T(x) + T(0)
as EnumaElish said, you cannot assume that v is any particular vector- especially not 0.
What if you have
T ( x + y ) = T ( (x (subscript 1), x (subscript 2) , x (subscript 3) ) + (y (subscript 1), y (subscript 2) , y (subscript 3) )

And you cannot assume that is
T ( x(subscript 1) , x (subscript 2) , x (subscript 3) ) + T ( 0 , 0 , 0)
or T ( x(subscript 1) , x (subscript 2) , x (subscript 3) ) + T (y (subscript 1), y (subscript 2) , y (subscript 3) )
that's what you want to prove!

Instead you should have
T( x(subscript 1)+ y(subscript 1), x (subscript 2)+y(subscript 2) , x (subscript 3)+y(subscript 3))= (x(subscript 1)+ y(subscript 1), 0 , x (subscript 3)+y(subscript 3))
= ( x(subscript 1), 0 , x (subscript 3))+ (y(subscript 1), 0 , y(subscript 3))
= T( x(subscript 1),x (subscript 2), x (subscript 3))+ T(y(subscript 1),y(subscript 2) ,y(subscript 3))= T(x)+ T(y)

Did I do this correctly as well??

And my conclusion is that this is a linear transformation...

Oh and sorry about the x(subscript #)... i tried using the Latex Reference thing, but it shows the subscripts as superscripts...

Thanks
A common way of doing subscripts without LaTex is x_1, x_2, etc. You can also use
x[ sub ]1[ /sub ] without the spaces: x1 or, in LaTex, [ i t e x]x_1 [/ i t e x], [itex]x_1[/itex].

What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps a vector space to itself while preserving the basic algebraic structure of the space. In simpler terms, it is a function that takes in a vector and outputs another vector in the same space.

How is a linear transformation represented?

A linear transformation can be represented using a matrix, where each column represents the image of a standard basis vector. It can also be represented using a set of linear equations or a graph.

What are the properties of linear transformations?

There are several properties that linear transformations must satisfy, including preserving vector addition and scalar multiplication, preserving the zero vector, and preserving the identity element. Additionally, the image of a linear transformation is a subspace of the output vector space.

What is the difference between a linear and a nonlinear transformation?

A linear transformation maintains the structure of the vector space, while a nonlinear transformation does not. This means that a linear transformation will always map lines to lines, while a nonlinear transformation may map lines to curves or other shapes.

What are some real-world applications of linear transformations?

Linear transformations have many applications in science, engineering, and technology. Some examples include image and signal processing, data compression, computer graphics, and optimization problems. They are also used in physics and chemistry to describe physical processes and chemical reactions.