Choosing Organic Solvents for Extracting Neutral Compounds

• Thread starter tom717
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solvent
In summary: Acetic acid and ethanol would be terrible choices because they completely mix with water. It would either create one big phase, or it would have little separation. Ethyl acetate would probably work, but it's not the best choice because the density is somewhat close to water; it's about 0.9. Dichloromethane is very heavy at around 1.3, and hexane is very light at maybe 0.7.
tom717
Here is the question I have, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Which of the following organic solvents could be used to extract a neutral organic compound from an aqueous solution?
ethyl acetate;
ethanol;
dichloromethane;
hexane;
acetic acid.

Physics news on Phys.org
tom717 said:
Here is the question I have, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Which of the following organic solvents could be used to extract a neutral organic compound from an aqueous solution?
ethyl acetate;
ethanol;
dichloromethane;
hexane;
acetic acid.
If with "neutral" you mean "non polar" then you have to choose the less polar of the solvents, that is hexane.

Thanks. I guess that is what was meant by neutral, I can't be certain as I gave you the exact wording of the question so that's all there is to go on.

Dichloromethane is a good answer too since it settles to the bottom. You could extract the organic pieces without having to remove the water first.

I vote for dichloromethane too, polar enough to get good mixing with the water, organic enough to extract the organic compound, density is great for easy separation.

Quick best guess is all of those except acetic acid. Better guess, maybe all except exclude acetic acid and exclude ethanol. Do you mean "neutral" in relation to acidic or alkaline; or do you really mean nonpolar?

symbolipoint said:
Quick best guess is all of those except acetic acid. Better guess, maybe all except exclude acetic acid and exclude ethanol. Do you mean "neutral" in relation to acidic or alkaline; or do you really mean nonpolar?

Acetic acid and ethanol would be terrible choices because they completely mix with water. It would either create one big phase, or it would have little separation. Ethyl acetate would probably work, but it's not the best choice because the density is somewhat close to water; it's about 0.9. Dichloromethane is very heavy at around 1.3, and hexane is very light at maybe 0.7

If you're allowed to pick more than 1, I would pick DCM, hexane, and ethyl acetate.

Last edited:
ShawnD said:
Acetic acid and ethanol would be terrible choices because they completely mix with water. It would either create one big phase, or it would have little separation. Ethyl acetate would probably work, but it's not the best choice because the density is somewhat close to water; it's about 0.9. Dichloromethane is very heavy at around 1.3, and hexane is very light at maybe 0.7

If you're allowed to pick more than 1, I would pick DCM, hexane, and ethyl acetate.

Good Points. I did not think very clearly when I made my comment. I had imagined a mixture straight from solid phase; not exactly what many people have available once they are ready to use a solvent for extraction. Not all extractions are performed directly upon a liquid solution.

1. What are organic solvents?

Organic solvents are carbon-based compounds that are used to dissolve other substances. They are commonly used in chemistry and industry for various purposes, including extracting neutral compounds.

2. Why is it important to choose the right organic solvent for extracting neutral compounds?

The choice of organic solvent is crucial in extracting neutral compounds because different solvents have different properties and can affect the yield and purity of the extracted compounds. Using the wrong solvent can lead to incomplete extraction or contamination of the desired compound.

3. What factors should be considered when choosing an organic solvent for extracting neutral compounds?

Some important factors to consider when choosing an organic solvent for extracting neutral compounds include the polarity, boiling point, and solubility of the solvent. These properties determine the solvent's ability to dissolve the desired compound and separate it from other substances.

4. What are some commonly used organic solvents for extracting neutral compounds?

Some commonly used organic solvents for extracting neutral compounds include diethyl ether, dichloromethane, ethyl acetate, and hexane. These solvents have different polarities and boiling points, making them suitable for extracting different types of neutral compounds.

5. How can I ensure the safety of using organic solvents for extracting neutral compounds?

To ensure the safety of using organic solvents, it is important to follow proper handling and storage procedures. This includes wearing appropriate protective gear, working in a well-ventilated area, and disposing of solvents properly. It is also recommended to consult the safety data sheet for each solvent before use.