US Presidential Primaries, 2008

• News
  • Thread starter Gokul43201
  • Start date
In summary, the Iowa Caucus is going to be a close race, with Huckabee and Paul fighting for fourth place.

Who will be the eventual nominee from each party?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,332
More Tales from the Clinton Campaign:
CAMDEN, N.J. (AP) — A Democratic congressman from New Jersey accused Hillary Rodham Clinton's campaign of trying to exploit tensions between Jews and blacks.

Rep. Rob Andrews, who supported Clinton, said in a newspaper interview that he received a call from a top member of Clinton's organization shortly before the April 22 Pennsylvania primary who explicitly discussed a strategy of winning Jewish voters by exploiting tensions between Jews and blacks.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hzuoyfZ8nc6Nzv6BR_be6TTaevbwD914J4BO0

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,333
mathwonk said:
3) the primary qualification for VP is loyalty to the pres, which she has shown no taste for.

Not necessarily true. VP's are often chosen to capture certain segments of the electorate, or to patch up coalitions inside a party. It is important that they accept the president's primacy (and, likewise, the limits of their own office), but that's not to say that it's the primary qualification.

Also, she's shown a pretty noteworthy ability to stick by at least one president, come hell or high water. Granted, she wouldn't be married to Obama, but it's something...

• #1,334
Hi, my name is Barack Obama and I am the candidate of change. Here is my choice for VP, Hillary Clinton.

• #1,335
They could market the ticket by targeting Clinton's duties to health care. I think she is seen as an agent of change in that regard.

I'm sort of warming up to the idea of Hillary being VP, but I worry about Bill. Obama could put him in charge of Global health assistance, which is a continuation of his work at the Clinton Foundation. Then he'd have to spend all his time in Africa and Southeast Asia...

So Hillary would cover health care in the US, and Bill would help with overseas health projects. Nice!

• #1,336
lisab said:
They could market the ticket by targeting Clinton's duties to health care.
They tried that once. It didn't work out so hot.

• #1,337
lisab said:
I'm sort of warming up to the idea of Hillary being VP, but I worry about Bill. Obama could put him in charge of Global health assistance, which is a continuation of his work at the Clinton Foundation. Then he'd have to spend all his time in Africa and Southeast Asia...

So Hillary would cover health care in the US, and Bill would help with overseas health projects. Nice!
Hmmm - regarding Bill -

Bill Clinton's media meltdown
Commentary: The politician known for his charm takes a writer's bait
But Clinton's ebullience and love of the spotlight hasn't helped Hillary Clinton's presidential aspirations. Throughout her campaign for the Democratic nomination, Bill Clinton has consistently generated heat by injecting himself front and center into the proceedings.

Mostly, he has criticized the media repeatedly. He has done more than just put reporters on the defensive, a strategy that has worked brilliantly for presidents ranging from Richard Nixon to George W. Bush. Instead, Clinton has run the risk of turning journalists against his wife.

"It's all politics," Bill Clinton told Huffington Post. "It's all about the bias of the media for Obama. Don't think anything about it. But I'm telling ya', all it's doing is driving her supporters further and further away -- because they know exactly what it is -- this has been the most rigged coverage in modern history -- and [Purdum] ought to be ashamed of himself. But he has no shame. It isn't the first dishonest piece he's written about me or her."
I think Obama needs to put some distance between his campaign and Bill Clinton. :rolleyes:

• #1,338
Astronuc said:
Hmmm - regarding Bill -

Bill Clinton's media meltdown
Commentary: The politician known for his charm takes a writer's bait
I think Obama needs to put some distance between his campaign and Bill Clinton. :rolleyes:

I don't know how many times I have seen Bill say stupid things in speeches and interviews. It really makes me wonder why anyone ever thought he was very intelligent. Except that no matter how stupid the things he says are his followers eat it up. Maybe people are noticing more now since he's attacking his own.

• #1,339
good point jimmy. i recommend reading the lead article in this issue of the economist.

basically it says: obama showed charisma and coolness under fire, while clinton was shown up as a less professionally capable campaigner with a mean streak.oh, and remember how helpful the clinton association was to the candidacy of al gore, the candidate who was only otherwise qualified enough to win a nobel prize, but was bested by..., well we know that sad story

Last edited:
  • #1,340
jimmysnyder said:
Hi, my name is Barack Obama and I am the candidate of change. Here is my choice for VP, Hillary Clinton.

THAT has always been the biggest objection from the Dem advisors. But, to Hillary's dedicated female following, it would certainly be a huge change.

I have never liked Hillary, and mainly because of Clinton-speak, but she has impressed me with her abilities during this primary. And apparently she is a popular Senator who has earned the respect of the voters in NY, as well as her peers.

• #1,341
If I were to ignore any campaign concerns, I would be pulling hard for Webb. He is the man I would like to see in office; at least based on what I know about him so far.

But, Hagel may be a great choice as well.

Last edited:
  • #1,342
One more negative on Hillary, speaking from a personal pov. She claims to be the one who has done her homework. And I believe it! I see her as a real i dotter and t crosser; a bean counter. So, if this is true, then why did Obama out-math her on the caucuses and proportionate representation? It seems that the only answer is that he was smarter than she. She was probably better prepared, but he had a better plan.

• #1,343
Ivan Seeking said:
If I were to ignore any campaign concerns, I would be pulling hard for Webb. He is the man I would like to see in office; at least based on what I know about him so far. ...
2nd that, for the Dem. ticket.

• #1,344
Looks like Hillary is still up to something...or maybe she's just being friendly. Whatever it is, it looks like she wants to keep her supporters close to her. This is an email she sent out today to folks on her mailing list:
Dear xxxxxxx,

Together, you and I changed America forever. We touched so many lives over the course of this campaign, and I can't thank you enough for the support you showed me. I met so many wonderful people out on the trail, and I wanted to share some of those memories with you.

I hope you'll take a moment to view our online album with some favorite photos from the campaign.

Thank you so much -- I'll be in touch soon.Hillary
Hillary Rodham Clinton

Paid for by Hillary Clinton for President

Contributions to Hillary Clinton for President are not deductible for federal income tax purposes. Corporate contributions are prohibited by law.

All content © 2008 Hillary Clinton for President
4420 North Fairfax Drive, Arlington, VA 22203

• #1,345
Gokul43201 said:
Looks like Hillary is still up to something...or maybe she's just being friendly. Whatever it is, it looks like she wants to keep her supporters close to her. This is an email she sent out today to folks on her mailing list:
Contributions to Hillary Clinton for President are not deductible for federal income tax purposes.

Her campaign is suspended, not closed, so she can still solicit and accept contributions. She (her campaign) could use the money.

• #1,346
Gokul43201 said:
Dear xxxxxxx,

Together, you and I changed America forever. We touched so many lives over the course of this campaign, and I can't thank you enough for the support you showed me. I met so many wonderful people out on the trail, and I wanted to share some of those memories with you.

I hope you'll take a moment to view our online album with some favorite photos from the campaign.

Thank you so much -- I'll be in touch soon.

Hillary
Hillary Rodham Clinton

Paid for by Hillary Clinton for President

Contributions to Hillary Clinton for President are not deductible for federal income tax purposes. Corporate contributions are prohibited by law.

All content © 2008 Hillary Clinton for President
4420 North Fairfax Drive, Arlington, VA 22203

An e-mail paid for by Hillary Clinton for President? I wonder how much that cost?

Did you get a cold chill run up your spine when you read that she would "be in touch soon"?

• #1,347
Astronuc said:
She (her campaign) could use the money.
That's probably the biggest reason for this - to try and retire as much debt as possible (I hope).

• #1,348