Kater's Pendulum Experiment: Accuracy & Procedure

• Thread starter Lewistbh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary, the conversation discusses research for an investigation into methods of measuring g for an Advanced Higher course. The speaker is looking for information on the accuracy of the experiment compared to a simple pendulum experiment and asks for diagrams or detailed explanations of the procedure. Another person mentions the possibility of finding lab scripts from their second year and mentions getting better results when comparing with a simple pendulum. The harvard link provided does not fully explain the workings of the pendulum.
Lewistbh
Hi there. I'm doing research for an investigation into various methods of measuring g for my Advanced Higher course (Scottish). I was wondering if anyone knew how accurate this experiment was when compared with a simple pendulum experiment. Also if anyone had diagrams or detailed explanations of the procedure that would be a great help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps this?
http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~scdiroff/lds/OscillationsWaves/ReversiblePendulum/ReversiblePendulum.html

Could anyone explain to me how and why Kater's Pendulum works?

Thanks

If I can find my second year lab scripts I'll have a look and see what it says. We did compare it with a simple pendulum and we got much better results.

Thanks, that would be really useful. The harvard link doesn't really explain the way the pendulum works.

1. What is Kater's Pendulum Experiment?

Kater's Pendulum Experiment is a scientific experiment that was developed in the 19th century by British physicist Captain Henry Kater. It is used to determine the acceleration due to gravity and the length of a pendulum.

2. How does Kater's Pendulum Experiment work?

The experiment involves suspending a weight from a string and measuring its period of oscillation. This is repeated at different distances from the pivot point, and the data is used to calculate the length of a theoretical simple pendulum with the same period. By comparing this theoretical length to the actual length of the pendulum, the acceleration due to gravity can be determined.

3. Why is Kater's Pendulum Experiment important?

Kater's Pendulum Experiment is important because it provides a simple and accurate method for measuring the acceleration due to gravity. This value is an important constant in physics and is used in many calculations and experiments.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of Kater's Pendulum Experiment?

The accuracy of the experiment can be affected by factors such as air resistance, the length of the string, and the precision of the measurements. It is important to control these variables as much as possible to ensure accurate results.

5. How can Kater's Pendulum Experiment be performed?

To perform Kater's Pendulum Experiment, you will need a pendulum, a string, a stopwatch, and a ruler. The pendulum should be suspended from a fixed point and the period of oscillation should be measured at different distances from the pivot point. These measurements can then be used to calculate the acceleration due to gravity using the appropriate formula.