Defining +0 and -0 in the Integer Number Set: A Question of Limit Approaches

• Thread starter ivan
  • Start date
In summary, we discussed how absolute value of a real number can be defined and the objection that arose with the given definition. It was suggested that the unary operators '+' and '-' can be defined for all real numbers, with '+0' being '0' and '-0' being the additive inverse of '0'. However, it was also mentioned that in IEEE floating point operations, there is a distinction between +0 and -0. We also explored the idea of thinking about absolute value as a distance from 0, which can help in understanding equations with absolute value. Finally, a question was raised about whether the sign of 0 can depend on how one approaches it at the limit.
ivan
Somebody asked me how absolute value of a real number can be defined. I said |a| is defined as +a if a>=0 and -a if a<0 (instead of, |a| is defined as a if a>=0 and -a if a<0). Then came an objection that with such a definition if a=0 its absolute value should be +0 and there's no such thing.

Can't one define -0 and +0 in integer number set such that +0=-0=0?

Physics news on Phys.org
ivan said:
Somebody asked me how absolute value of a real number can be defined. I said |a| is defined as +a if a>=0 and -a if a<0 (instead of, |a| is defined as a if a>=0 and -a if a<0). Then came an objection that with such a definition if a=0 its absolute value should be +0 and there's no such thing.

Well, yes. The unary operators '+' and '-' are defined for all real numbers. '+x' is always 'x', and '-x' is always the additive inverse of 'x'.

Hurkyl said:
Well, yes. The unary operators '+' and '-' are defined for all real numbers. '+x' is always 'x', and '-x' is always the additive inverse of 'x'.
Thanks.

So, as I understood since 0 is a real number unary operations both + and - is defined for 0 such that +0=0 and +0+(-0)=0 (per definition of additive inverse). Since +0+(-0)=0 and +0=0 => 0+(-0)=0 => -0=0 too. Am I right?

+0= -0 since 0 is its own additive inverse. You might want to ask your friend whether "4" is plus or minus. There is no "+" in front of it! The standard convention is that no sign in front of a number implies "+" so "4= +4" (or "0= +0") is understood. You certainly do not need to say "|0|= +0".

And here I was thinking the question was about the IEEE floating point +0 vs -0 distinction (4 / -0 = -infinity in IEEE arithmetic, for example -- signs propagate as usual).

Thank you all. Your explanations were very clear.

ivan said:

I think you avoid this complication if you explain that the definition of the absolute value of a number is its distance away from Zero.

My feeling is that thinking about absolute value as a distance helps in a lot of ways.

|x| = 2
What numbers distance away from 0 is 2? 2, and -2.

It helps more when there is other stuff inside the absolute value.
|x - 4| = 2

Here you can think about it as a numbers distance away from 4 is 2 thus the answers is 6 and 2.

|x + 4| = 2

Here same thing, a numbers distance away from -4 is 2, therefore the answers are -6 and -2.

|x - 4| = -2
This statement clearly doesn't make sense, how can a numbers distance away from 4 be -2, distances must be positive.

...0 is either positive or negative... it's the same.

I'm with CRGreathouse - +0 and -0 in IEEE format floating point operations.
That's what I though this thread was about.

Is it an implied operation that:
-5 == (-1)*(5) ?
because then there would be a difference in the infinity case:

1/(-0) == 1/((-1)*(0)) = - (1/0) = -infinity

(Mathematica agrees with me)

Well, first "infinity" is not a real number so you can't expect formulas for real numbers to apply.

But I'm puzzled as to what difference you see!

Ephratah7 said:
...0 is either positive or negative... it's the same.
Wrong: 0 is neither positive nor negative.

Hurkyl said:
Wrong: 0 is neither positive nor negative.

oppsss... ^^... sorry..^^ wrong grammar... hehe

This is maybe a dumb question but I am going to ask it and maybe Hurkyl or Hallsofivy can answer it:

Could - or + 0 be dependent on how one approaches 0 at the limit (positive side or negative side)?

1. Do +0 and -0 have different numerical values?

Yes, +0 and -0 have different numerical values. +0 represents a positive zero, while -0 represents a negative zero. This means that they have different signs, even though their numerical values are both zero.

2. Can +0 and -0 be used in mathematical operations?

Yes, +0 and -0 can be used in mathematical operations. However, they will always result in the same value of zero regardless of the operation. This is because they have the same numerical value of zero, just with different signs.

3. Are +0 and -0 interchangeable?

No, +0 and -0 are not interchangeable. While they have the same numerical value, they represent different concepts in mathematics. For example, in graphing, +0 represents a point on the positive x-axis, while -0 represents a point on the negative x-axis.

4. Do +0 and -0 have any practical applications?

Yes, +0 and -0 have practical applications in fields such as physics and computer science. In physics, they can represent different directions of motion, while in computer science, they can be used to represent positive and negative values in binary code.

5. Can +0 and -0 be used in real-life situations?

Yes, +0 and -0 can be used in real-life situations. For example, when measuring temperature, +0 and -0 can represent positive and negative values on the Celsius or Fahrenheit scale. They can also be used in banking and finance to represent positive and negative balances.