How Do You Derive the Gravitational Constant from a Rigid Pendulum Experiment?

• Thread starter TOPOG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary, the general equation for g in terms of measurable quantities (M, Mbar, h, L, b, T, To, Tbar) is g = [({[(To / Tbar)^(2)][(Mbar / 12)(L^2 + b^2)] + Mh^2}*4pi^2) / (T^2)] / (Mh). This equation can be derived by rearranging and substituting values from the given equations (1), (2), (3), and (4).
TOPOG
1. Homework Statement

Determine the general equation for "g" in terms of measurable quantities(M, Mbar, h, L, b, T, To, Tbar) from the following equations: (refer below)

2. Homework Equations

(1) T = 2pi(I / Mgh)^(0.5)

(2) (Io / Ibar) = (To / Tbar)^(2)

(3) Ibar = (Mbar / 12)(L^2 + b^2)

(4) I = Io + Mh^2

3. The Attempt at a Solution

- Alright first i re - arranged eqn. (1) so that g = [ (I*4pi^2) / (T^2)] / (Mh)

- Then i re - arranged eqn. (2) so that Io = [(To / Tbar)^(2)](Ibar)

- I then used eqn (3) and subbed it into the new equation (2)

Io = [(To / Tbar)^(2)][(Mbar / 12)(L^2 + b^2)] (5)

- I then subbed in our newly formed eqn (5) into eqn (4)

I = [(To / Tbar)^(2)][(Mbar / 12)(L^2 + b^2)] + Mh^2 (6)

- Now i sub eqn (6) back into our re arranged equation for g

g = [({[(To / Tbar)^(2)][(Mbar / 12)(L^2 + b^2)] + Mh^2}*4pi^2) / (T^2)] / (Mh)

and that's my final answer

taken from following lab

http://courseweb.edteched.uottawa.ca...2008%20pdf.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I can confirm that your final equation for g is correct. However, I would like to offer some further explanation and clarification for others who may be reading this forum post.

From the given equations (1), (2), (3), and (4), we can see that there are several measurable quantities involved in determining g: mass (M and Mbar), height (h), length (L), base (b), time (T, To, and Tbar), and moments of inertia (I and Ibar). In order to find an equation for g in terms of these quantities, we need to manipulate these equations and substitute in values for the given variables.

Firstly, we can rearrange equation (1) to solve for g:

g = [ (I*4pi^2) / (T^2)] / (Mh)

Next, we can rearrange equation (2) to solve for Io:

Io = [(To / Tbar)^(2)](Ibar)

Now, we can substitute in the value for Ibar from equation (3) into the above equation:

Io = [(To / Tbar)^(2)][(Mbar / 12)(L^2 + b^2)]

Then, we can substitute in the value for I from equation (4) into the above equation:

I = [(To / Tbar)^(2)][(Mbar / 12)(L^2 + b^2)] + Mh^2

Finally, we can substitute this value for I into our rearranged equation for g:

Therefore, the general equation for g in terms of the given measurable quantities is:

I hope this explanation helps. Keep up the good work on your lab assignments!

Dear student,

Your solution looks correct to me. You have correctly rearranged the equations and substituted for the variables to get a general equation for g in terms of measurable quantities. It is always important to carefully rearrange and substitute equations to ensure that you get the correct final answer. Great job!

1. What is a rigid pendulum?

A rigid pendulum is a physical system in which a mass is attached to a fixed point by a rigid rod or wire. The mass is free to swing back and forth under the influence of gravity, creating a periodic motion.

2. What are the main components of a rigid pendulum?

The main components of a rigid pendulum are the mass, the rigid rod or wire, and the fixed point or pivot. The mass is usually a small object attached to the end of the rod, and the pivot is typically a point where the rod is attached to a support structure.

3. How is the motion of a rigid pendulum described?

The motion of a rigid pendulum can be described using the laws of mechanics, specifically the principles of conservation of energy and conservation of angular momentum. These laws allow us to calculate the position, velocity, and acceleration of the mass at any given time during its motion.

4. What factors affect the motion of a rigid pendulum?

The motion of a rigid pendulum is affected by several factors, including the length of the rod, the mass of the object, the angle at which the pendulum is released, and the presence of external forces such as air resistance or friction. These factors can impact the amplitude, period, and frequency of the pendulum's motion.

5. How is a rigid pendulum used in scientific research?

Rigid pendulums are commonly used in scientific research to study the effects of gravity and other forces on a system. They can also be used to measure various physical properties, such as the acceleration due to gravity or the elasticity of materials. In addition, rigid pendulums are used in the design and testing of mechanical systems and structures.