Exploring Algebra: Where to Start with Self-Study

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in studying Algebra and their search for a good book to use for self-study. They mention that their school does not offer a second course in Algebra and they are not concerned about the price of the book. They also mention that having an answer key would be helpful since they won't be able to ask their professors for help. The conversation suggests "Algebra" by Artin and "Algebra" by van der Waerden as potential books to start with, with a preference for the former due to its insights.
k3N70n
I finished a course in Algebra last semester and I've decided that Algebra is the best math for me. I'd really like to know more. I studied Gallians book though I looked through Herstiens a bit as well. The problem is that my school doesn't have a second course in Algebra so I have to study on my own. What book would be a good one to start with. I'm not really concered about price too much. Also, if there is an answer key avaliable that would be helpful as I won't be able to go to profs for help.
Thanks for any guidance.

Physics news on Phys.org
artin, algebra is the best upper level undergrad book. and you should be ready for it after a first course.

it was written as a first course but is a bit condensed and slow going as an intro.

another classic is algebra, previously modern algebra, by van der waerden.

some people like dummitt and foote, which covers two years worth of algebra, but i prefer the insight of artin's book, although it covers less.

Congratulations on finishing a course in Algebra and discovering your interest in the subject! Self-studying can be a challenging but rewarding experience. There are many resources available for self-study in Algebra, so it's important to find one that suits your learning style and level of understanding.

Since you have already studied Gallian's book and looked through Herstein's, you may want to consider continuing with Gallian's book as it seems to have worked well for you. You can also supplement your learning with online resources such as Khan Academy, which offers video tutorials and practice exercises.

Another option is to explore different textbooks and see which one resonates with you. Some popular textbooks for self-study in Algebra include "Algebra: A Graduate Course" by I.M. Gelfand and "Algebra" by Michael Artin. These textbooks may be more challenging, but they offer a deeper understanding of the subject.

As for answer keys, many textbooks offer them as a separate purchase or as a supplement to the textbook. You can also try searching for solutions manuals online. However, it's important to keep in mind that relying too heavily on answer keys may hinder your learning process. It's best to try to solve problems on your own and use answer keys as a tool to check your understanding.

In addition, it can be helpful to join online communities or forums where you can ask questions and get help from other self-studiers or even instructors. This can also provide a sense of accountability and motivation to continue your studies.

Overall, the key to successful self-study in Algebra is to find a resource that suits your needs and to consistently practice and challenge yourself. With dedication and perseverance, I have no doubt that you will continue to excel in Algebra. Good luck!

1. What is algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of symbols and the rules for manipulating these symbols to solve equations and understand relationships between quantities.

2. Why is it important to study algebra?

Algebra is an essential tool for solving real-world problems in fields such as science, engineering, economics, and finance. It also helps to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. How can I start learning algebra on my own?

To start learning algebra on your own, it is important to have a strong foundation in basic math concepts such as arithmetic, fractions, and decimals. Then, you can use online resources, textbooks, and practice problems to gradually build your understanding of algebraic concepts.

4. What are some common topics covered in algebra?

Some common topics in algebra include linear equations, quadratic equations, functions, exponents, polynomials, and systems of equations. These concepts are building blocks for more advanced topics such as calculus and statistics.

5. How can I stay motivated while studying algebra on my own?

Studying algebra on your own can be challenging, but there are a few things you can do to stay motivated. Set specific goals for what you want to achieve, find a study buddy or join an online study group, and reward yourself for making progress. It is also important to stay patient and persistent, as mastering algebra takes time and practice.