Power dissipation in lightbulb

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the actual power dissipated by a 100 W (120 V) lightbulb screwed into a socket with 5.0 Ohms of resistance. Using the equations P = V^2/R and V = IR, the speaker finds the resistance of the entire circuit to be 149 Ohms. They then calculate the current in the circuit to be 0.8054 A and use the equation P = RI^2 to find the power dissipated by the lightbulb to be 93.4 W. The speaker notes that electric circuit analysis is not their specialty in physics.
Snazzy

Homework Statement

The corroded contacts in a lightbulb socket have 5.0 Ohms of resistance. How much actual power is dissipated by a 100 W (120 V) lightbulb screwed into this socket?

Homework Equations

P = V^2/R
V = IR
P = RI^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the resistance of the lightbulb to be 120^2/100 = 144 Ohms, then added 5 Ohms to it to get the resistance of the entire circuit. Then I found the current in the circuit by using I = V/R = 0.8054 A, and then I found the power dissipated by the lightbulb by using P = R(of the lightbulb)I^2 = 144 x 0.8054 = 93.4 W as my final answer, but I don't know if this is right and electric circuit analysis is NOT my specialty in physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is completely right, and clearly explained!

Your approach is correct. By using the formula P = V^2/R, you can calculate the power dissipated by the lightbulb when it is connected to a circuit with a certain resistance. In this case, the total resistance of the circuit is 5 ohms (from the corroded contacts) plus 144 ohms (from the lightbulb), giving a total resistance of 149 ohms. Plugging this into the formula, you get P = (120 V)^2 / 149 ohms = 93.4 watts. This means that 93.4 watts of power is dissipated in the lightbulb due to the resistance in the circuit.

1. What is power dissipation in a lightbulb?

Power dissipation in a lightbulb refers to the amount of energy that is converted into heat and light when electricity flows through the bulb. It is measured in watts (W) and is an important factor in determining the efficiency and lifespan of the bulb.

2. How is power dissipation calculated in a lightbulb?

Power dissipation in a lightbulb can be calculated by multiplying the voltage (V) by the current (I) that flows through the bulb. This is known as Ohm's law: P = V * I. For example, if a lightbulb has a voltage of 120V and a current of 0.5A, the power dissipation would be 60W.

3. What factors affect power dissipation in a lightbulb?

The main factors that affect power dissipation in a lightbulb are the voltage, current, and resistance of the circuit. A higher voltage or current will result in more power dissipation, while a higher resistance will decrease power dissipation. The design and materials of the lightbulb also play a role in determining power dissipation.

4. How does power dissipation affect the brightness of a lightbulb?

The power dissipation in a lightbulb directly affects its brightness. The more power that is dissipated, the brighter the lightbulb will be. However, if the power dissipation is too high, it can cause the bulb to overheat and potentially burn out.

5. Can power dissipation be reduced in a lightbulb?

Yes, power dissipation in a lightbulb can be reduced by using a lower voltage or current, or by increasing the resistance in the circuit. Using more energy-efficient lightbulbs, such as LED or CFL bulbs, can also decrease power dissipation and result in cost savings over time.