How Do You Calculate the Width of a Slit in a Diffraction Experiment?

• Thread starter BuBbLeS01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slit Width
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an equation to find the width of a single slit illuminated by a helium-neon laser. The distance between the first and second minima in the diffraction pattern is given as 6.78 mm, and using the equation W = 2tL/a, the width is calculated to be 0.2956 mm. However, this is only half of the actual width of the slit, so the correct answer is found by dividing 0.2956 mm by 2. The conversation also mentions the need to find separate expressions for the distance of m=1 and m=2 minima in order to solve for the slit width.
BuBbLeS01
Width of Slit...HeLP on setup Please!

Homework Statement

A helium-neon laser (λ=590 nm) illuminates a single slit and is observed on a screen 1.7 m behind the slit. The distance between the first and second minima in the diffraction pattern is 6.78 mm. What is the width (in mm) of the slit?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I am supposed to use the equation...

W = 2tL/a
t = wavelength
t = 0.00000059 m
L = 1.7 m
a = .00678 m

but that gets me 0.2956 mm
If I divide that by 2 I get the right answer so I am a little confused on my setup

Physics news on Phys.org
The distance 6.78 mm is the difference between the m=2 and m=1 minima. It is not the distance from the centre of the screen to the second minima (if that's what you are doing). Draw a diagram. You need to find one expression for the distance for m=1 minimum and one for the m=2 minimum. You know the difference between these two is 6.78 mm. This will allow you to solve for the slit width.

The width of the slit is going from m=1 on 1 side of the central maxima to m=1 on the other side right? And fringe spacing between all fringes is equal correct?

1. What is the purpose of measuring the width of a slit in a HeLP setup?

The width of a slit in a HeLP setup is an important parameter that affects the diffraction pattern produced. It determines the amount of diffraction that occurs and ultimately impacts the resolution of the setup. Measuring the width helps ensure that the setup is optimized for the desired diffraction pattern.

2. How do you measure the width of a slit in a HeLP setup?

The width of a slit in a HeLP setup can be measured using a variety of tools such as a ruler, caliper, or micrometer. The slit should be measured at multiple points to ensure accuracy, and the average of these measurements should be used as the final value.

3. What is the ideal width for a slit in a HeLP setup?

The ideal width for a slit in a HeLP setup depends on the specific setup and desired diffraction pattern. Generally, a narrower slit will produce a sharper and more detailed diffraction pattern, but it may also decrease the overall intensity of the pattern. It is important to carefully consider the trade-offs and choose a slit width that best suits the experiment.

4. Can the width of a slit in a HeLP setup be adjusted?

Yes, the width of a slit in a HeLP setup can typically be adjusted. This can be done by physically changing the slit or using a mechanism within the setup to control the width. It is important to carefully document any changes made to the slit width, as it can impact the results of the experiment.

5. How does the width of a slit in a HeLP setup affect the diffraction pattern?

The width of a slit in a HeLP setup directly affects the diffraction pattern produced. A wider slit will result in a broader and less detailed pattern, while a narrower slit will produce a sharper and more detailed pattern. The width also impacts the intensity of the diffraction pattern, with a narrower slit typically resulting in a lower intensity.