How Does AC Power Flow in Home Appliances Despite Changing Current Direction?

• Thread starter Vishal60
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ac Dc
What I say is that if current should flow in the circuit it should be a closed circuit...so it is said that in ac the direction of current changes at regular intervals... so in our home appliances the current comes from the mains that all there is no closed circuit so how does current flow in every electrical devices and also power is consumed...State the question here as well...I assume AC and DC to mean currents...the most obvious one, DC is direct current and AC is alternating. I can't tell you anymore than that since I don't know what exactly you want to know about them.AC circuits are also closed, just like DC circuits. The only difference is that voltages do not change with time in a DC current loop."
Vishal60
what i say is that

if current should flow in the circuit it should be a closed circuit...so it is said that in ac the direction of current changes at regelar intervals... so in our home appliances the current comes from the mains that all there is no closed circit so how does current flow in every electrical devices and also power is consumed...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

State the question here as well...I assume AC and DC to mean currents...the most obvious one, DC is direct current and AC is alternating. I can't tell you anymore than that since I don't know what exactly you want to know about them.

AC circuits are also closed, just like DC circuits. The only difference is that voltages do not change with time in a DC current loop.

- Warren

1. What is the main difference between AC and DC?

The main difference between AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) is the direction in which the current flows. In AC, the current changes direction periodically, while in DC, the current flows in only one direction.

2. Which type of current is used in most household appliances?

Most household appliances use AC, as it can be easily converted to different voltages using transformers and is more efficient for long-distance transmission.

3. What are the advantages of AC over DC?

AC has several advantages over DC, including the ability to be easily converted to different voltages, its ability to be transmitted over long distances with minimal power loss, and its ability to power multiple devices on the same circuit.

4. Why is DC still used in some applications?

DC is still used in some applications because it is better for certain types of devices, such as batteries and electronic devices that require a constant, steady flow of current in one direction.

5. Can AC and DC be converted to each other?

Yes, AC and DC can be converted to each other using devices called inverters and rectifiers. Inverters convert DC to AC, while rectifiers convert AC to DC.