A voltage booster without capacitor

In summary: You may need to use a diode too.In summary, the conversation is about the possibility of using a 1.5V battery to power a 5V DC motor without any capacitor. It is suggested to use a boost topology DC-DC converter and calculate the required voltage and current using a design helper. The calculator may also provide an output capacitor value. However, the person asking the question has a constraint to not use any capacitor and is looking for an alternative solution. Possible solutions include using inductors or pulse waveforms. The conversation also mentions the option of using a diode.
Truthlover
Hello i just want to know if it's possible to do 5V with a 1.5V battery without any capacitor

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Truthlover said:
Hello i just want to know if it's possible to do 5V with a 1.5V battery without any capacitor

Thanks

Are you familiar with the boost topology DC-DC? Why do you not want an output smoothing cap? What is the application that you have in mind?

I have to run a 4.8V DC motor with a 1.5V battery. The motor is used to propulse a little car.

Truthlover said:
I have to run a 4.8V DC motor with a 1.5V battery. The motor is used to propulse a little car.

Look at the Simple Switcher boost DC-DC circuits at National Semiconductor:

http://www.national.com/analog

Click on the design helper at the right of the page, and input your voltage and current requirements. The calculator will help you design the circuit. You can generally buy the parts from Digikey.com

You should also calculate how long the motor will run on that 1.5V battery. Assume about 85% efficiency for the boost stage (the National calculator may guesstimate the efficiency for you -- I'm not sure if it will), and check the A*Hr rating of the 1.5V battery. BTW, when you spec the input voltages for the calcultor, keep in mind that the range for an alkaline battery is about 1.65V fresh, and 0.8V mostly gone. Other battery types will have different discharge curves. Check the battery manufacturer websites for datasheets.

I think the calculator will provide you with an output capacitor value. I'm still not sure why you don't want to have a cap at the output. If you still have questions after using the calculator, post them here and we'll try to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is very good but i want to know if it's possible tu use the booster without capacitor. it's a constraint.

In example: is it possible to use this boost converter without the cpacitor if not what will happen

Truthlover said:
In example: is it possible to use this boost converter without the cpacitor if not what will happen

You tell us. What is the function of the capacitor in the standard boost DC-DC converter circuit? What happens as you make the capacitor larger, or smaller?

There are at least two effects of decreasing the output capacitor size. Can you tell us what they are?

Why do you have this constraint? Is it coming from someone who does not have an understanding of electronics? Or is it being posed as an advanced puzzle by someone who knows of an elegant non-standard solution?

it is posed as an advanced puzzle by someone who knows of an elegant non-standard solution. It's like a challenge. so i have to find a way to do 5V with a 1.5V battery without any capacitor.

You'll need some kind of reactance, but it doesn't have to be capacitance. You can build a voltage multiplier with inductors, too -- they're just larger and heavier and more expensive.

- Warren

Couldnt you just run the motor with a 1.5v battery instead? You would get lower rpm's and power, but it would still work right? And isn't this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:B...onventions.svg circuit a half wave rectifier?

Is the puzzle saying to run a 5V DC motor, or is it saying to get 5 Vdc?

chaoseverlasting said:
And isn't this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:B...onventions.svg circuit a half wave rectifier?

That link does not work.

Thank you chroot for your advice it worked. And yes chaoseverlasting i could run the motor with 1.5v but it was also a question of speed.

You cannot use an actual capacitor or you can't have any appreciable capacitance in the circuit? I ask becuase you can be clever and use some coax as some capacitance in the circuit.

Truthlover said:
it is posed as an advanced puzzle by someone who knows of an elegant non-standard solution. It's like a challenge. so i have to find a way to do 5V with a 1.5V battery without any capacitor.
'Puzzle', 'non-standard', and 'challenge', and the fact that you have specifically not specified 'DC', just 5 V, lead me to believe that your tasker intended some kind of pulse waveform be used which is plausible w/ a motor load. You can drive the motor with some kind of 5V pulse waveform. The DC/DC boost converter (referenced above) with no output capacitor with give you a pulse waveform, and the duty cycle of the converter would control the motor speed.

1. What is a voltage booster without capacitor?

A voltage booster without capacitor is an electronic circuit that is used to increase the voltage of a power source without using a capacitor. It is designed to provide a stable and regulated output voltage that is higher than the input voltage.

2. How does a voltage booster without capacitor work?

A voltage booster without capacitor works by using an inductor and a switching device, such as a transistor or a diode, to convert the input voltage into a series of high-frequency pulses. These pulses are then smoothed and regulated to provide a higher output voltage.

3. What are the advantages of using a voltage booster without capacitor?

Some of the advantages of using a voltage booster without capacitor include a smaller and more compact circuit design, higher efficiency, and lower cost. It also eliminates the need for a bulky and expensive capacitor, making it ideal for portable and low-power applications.

4. What are the limitations of a voltage booster without capacitor?

One of the main limitations of a voltage booster without capacitor is that it can only provide a voltage boost, not a voltage step-down. It also has a limited output current capacity and may not be suitable for high-power applications. Additionally, it may generate more noise and electromagnetic interference compared to boosters with capacitors.

5. Where can I use a voltage booster without capacitor?

A voltage booster without capacitor can be used in various electronic devices, such as battery-operated devices, portable electronic devices, and low-power sensors. It is also commonly used in renewable energy systems, such as solar panels and wind turbines, to boost the output voltage for charging batteries or powering low-voltage devices.