Sensing Motion with Piezoelectric Sensing: Tips & Tricks

• Thread starter meereck
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the speaker is looking for a cheap solution to sense motion in one direction. They have researched piezoelectric sensing and found some helpful links, but are unsure if it measures speed or just acceleration. They also mention that it may be expensive and someone suggests using a string and bell as a cheaper alternative.
meereck
Hello, I would like sense motion (speed) only in one direction. I don't need it to be accurate, I just want it to be a cheap solution (homemade).
I googled something about piezoelectric sensing with the help of a normal crystal (or piezo buzzer?).

Does anyone have more details on that?
Can I sense speed with it?
Thanx for hints,
Meereck

Engineering news on Phys.org
hello, thanks for the links.
It measures acceleration not speed, right. So If I move it at a constant speed, it will not work? Am I right?
Furthermore, I reckon it is quite expensive, isn't it?
cheers

meereck said:
So If I move it at a constant speed, it will not
cheers
No, it is impossible to sense that you are moving if the motion is uniform (this is one of the basic principles of physics) UNLESS you somehow use information from the environment, the most obvious example being a GPS.
However, if you have an accelorometer you can always tell when/how much your has speed changed and by integrating you get the speed.

Accelerometers are not very expensive nowadays, an accelerometer chip is only a few dollars. However, if you need a complete module it will obviously be more expensive.

Get a length of string, and a bell. Tie the string to whatever you want to sense the movement of, and tie the bell to the other. When the bell rings, your subject has moved. If your subject moves in the other direction, the string goes slack and the bell won't ring.

f95toli : thnx
brewnog : that is the cheapest solution. Pretty cool!:)

1. How does piezoelectric sensing work?

Piezoelectric sensing works by converting mechanical energy (such as motion) into electrical energy. This is achieved through the use of piezoelectric materials, which generate an electric charge when subjected to mechanical stress.

2. What are some common applications of piezoelectric sensing?

Piezoelectric sensing is commonly used in devices that require motion or force detection, such as accelerometers, pressure sensors, and touch sensors. It is also used in energy harvesting applications, where it can convert mechanical energy into electrical energy.

3. What are some tips for optimizing piezoelectric sensing?

Some tips for optimizing piezoelectric sensing include selecting the appropriate piezoelectric material for the application, ensuring proper alignment and contact between the material and the object being sensed, and minimizing external noise interference.

4. Can piezoelectric sensing be used in harsh environments?

Yes, piezoelectric sensing can be used in harsh environments, as it is not affected by temperature, humidity, or corrosive substances. However, care must be taken to protect the sensing material from physical damage.

5. How do I calibrate a piezoelectric sensor?

To calibrate a piezoelectric sensor, you will need to apply a known force or motion to the sensor and measure the resulting electrical output. This can be done using a calibration setup or by comparing the sensor's output to that of a known reference sensor.