Why Does the Scale Reading Change in an Elevator?

In summary, a person with a weight of 500N stands on a scale in an elevator, with readings of 500N from 0-5s, 700N from 5-10s, 500N from 10-15s, and 300N from 15-20s. The acceleration is calculated to be 0m/s^2 from 0-5s, 3.92m/s^2 from 5-10s, 0m/s^2 from 10-15s, and -3.92m/s^2 from 15-20s. The corresponding velocities at 5s, 10s, 15s, and 20s are
joe215

Homework Statement

A person with a weight of 500N stands in an elevator on a scale.
from 0-5s his weight reads 500N.
from 5-10s his weight reads 700N.
from 10-15s his weight reads 500N.
from 15-20s his weight reads 300N.

Find his acceleration (in each time interval) and his velocity at 5s, 10s, 15s, and 20s.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think my accelerations are correct:
(Fn-mg) /m=a

0-5s: (500N-500N) / 51kg= 0m/s^2
5-10: (700-500)/51=3.92
10-15: (500-500)/51=0
15-20: 300-500/51= -3.92

Now, I think my velocities seem a little unreasonable.
vf=vi+at

at 5: v=0
10: v=0m/s + (3.92)(10)=39.2m/s <- that is really fast!
15: v=39.2m/s + (0)(15)= 39.2m/s
20: 39.2m/s+(-3.92)(20)= -39.2m/s

thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
joe215 said:
Now, I think my velocities seem a little unreasonable.
vf=vi+at
That time is the time in the interval for which the acceleration is "a", not the time from the beginning. I'd write it as: Vf = Vi + aΔt.

or suggestions

I would approach this problem by first checking if the given information is physically possible. In this case, it seems unlikely that a person's weight would suddenly increase by 200N and then decrease by 200N in a matter of seconds. This could be due to a malfunction in the scale or perhaps the person is performing some kind of activity that is affecting their weight.

Assuming that the given information is accurate, I would suggest looking into the forces acting on the person in the elevator. The only forces that should be present are the person's weight (acting downwards) and the normal force from the scale (acting upwards). The acceleration of the person can then be calculated using Newton's second law, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration.

In the first time interval (0-5s), the person's weight and the normal force are equal, so the acceleration is 0m/s^2. In the second time interval (5-10s), the person's weight is 700N and the normal force is 500N, resulting in a net force of 200N. Using Newton's second law, we can calculate the acceleration to be 3.92m/s^2.

For the remaining time intervals, we can use the same approach to calculate the acceleration. However, the velocities at each time interval will depend on the person's initial velocity, which is not given in the problem statement. Therefore, it is not possible to accurately determine the person's velocity at each time interval without additional information.

In conclusion, I would suggest further investigation into the forces acting on the person in the elevator and the accuracy of the given information before attempting to calculate the person's velocity at each time interval.

1. What is an elevator force problem?

An elevator force problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the forces acting on an elevator in motion. It usually requires knowledge of Newton's laws of motion and the principles of equilibrium.

2. How do you calculate the force of an elevator?

The force of an elevator can be calculated by using the equation F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the elevator, and a is the acceleration. The force is equal to the weight of the elevator plus any additional forces such as tension or friction.

3. What factors affect the force of an elevator?

The force of an elevator is affected by several factors, including the weight of the elevator and its occupants, the acceleration or deceleration of the elevator, the tension in the elevator cables, and any external forces such as wind or friction.

4. How does the force of an elevator change during different stages of its motion?

During different stages of an elevator's motion, the force acting on it may change. For example, when the elevator is accelerating upwards, the force will be greater than when it is moving at a constant speed. When the elevator is decelerating or at rest, the force will decrease.

5. How do you solve an elevator force problem?

To solve an elevator force problem, you will need to use the equations F=ma and ΣF=0, where ΣF is the sum of all forces acting on the elevator. You will also need to draw a free-body diagram to visualize the different forces and use the principles of equilibrium to set up and solve equations.