Conservation of Angular Momentum

In summary, conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental law in physics that states the total angular momentum of a closed system remains constant. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity, and is important because it allows for accurate predictions of rotational motion and is a fundamental principle in many fields of physics. Examples of conservation of angular momentum can be seen in the rotation of the Earth, the orbits of planets, and the motion of spinning objects. This law is a consequence of Newton's first law of motion, which states that an object will continue in its state of motion unless acted upon by an external force.
lmc489

Homework Statement

Two disks with moments of inertia I and 31 are mounted on a common shaft with frictionless bearings. They are initially rotating with angular speeds of w and 2w. They are brought together without being disturbed. What is their final KE as a fraction of their initial KE?

The answer is 49/52 but i don't understand the concept of it.
can someone please explain?

Equations:
Angular Momentum: Iw = Iw

Physics news on Phys.org
You will need to use conservation of angular momentum and conservation of rotational energy.

Start by writing out these quantities for each disk and then when the disks are brought together.

Kinetic Energy: KE = 1/2Iw^2

I can explain the concept of conservation of angular momentum in this scenario. Angular momentum is a property of a rotating object and is defined as the product of its moment of inertia (I) and its angular velocity (w). In this situation, the two disks have different moments of inertia, but they are connected by a common shaft and are rotating at different angular velocities.

When the two disks are brought together without being disturbed, the total angular momentum of the system remains constant. This is known as the law of conservation of angular momentum. In other words, the sum of the individual angular momenta of the two disks before and after they are brought together must be the same.

Now, let's consider the kinetic energy of the system. Kinetic energy is defined as the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In this case, the disks are rotating and therefore have kinetic energy. The equation for kinetic energy in rotational motion is KE = 1/2Iw^2, where I is the moment of inertia and w is the angular velocity.

Since the law of conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of the system remains constant, we can equate the initial angular momenta of the two disks to their final angular momenta. Therefore, Iw + 31(2w) = (I+31)w_f, where w_f is the final angular velocity of the combined disks.

Solving for w_f, we get w_f = (Iw + 62w)/(I+31). Now, using this value of w_f in the equation for kinetic energy, we get the final kinetic energy of the system as KE_f = 1/2(I+31)((Iw + 62w)/(I+31))^2 = 1/2(Iw + 62w)^2/(I+31).

To find the fraction of final KE to initial KE, we can divide the final KE by the initial KE, which gives us (1/2(Iw + 62w)^2/(I+31))/((1/2)Iw^2) = (Iw + 62w)^2/(Iw^2(I+31)).

Substituting the given values of I and w, we get (Iw + 62w)^2/(Iw^2(I+31)) = (Iw +

What is conservation of angular momentum?

Conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental law in physics that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant, unless acted upon by an external torque. This means that in a closed system, the total amount of angular momentum will remain the same, even if individual components change their angular momentum.

How is angular momentum defined?

Angular momentum is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity. It is a measure of an object's rotational motion.

Why is conservation of angular momentum important?

Conservation of angular momentum is important because it allows us to accurately predict the behavior of rotating objects and systems. It is also a fundamental principle in many areas of physics, including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

What are some examples of conservation of angular momentum in action?

Some examples of conservation of angular momentum include the rotation of the Earth, the spinning of a top, the orbits of planets around the sun, and the motion of spinning ice skaters.

How does conservation of angular momentum relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Conservation of angular momentum is a consequence of Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia. This law states that an object will continue in its state of motion unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of angular momentum, this external force would be an external torque.