Mobius Inversion, finite subgroup

In summary: Good luck!In summary, the conversation discusses a proof that if G is a finite subgroup of F^*, where F is a field (even if F is infinite), then G is cyclic. This is shown through the use of the Euler \phi-function and Mobius Inversion. The first part of the proof involves showing that x^d-1 divides x^n-1 in F[x] when d divides n, and that x^d-1 has d distinct roots in G. The second part uses the fact that x^d-1 = \prod_{c | d} \Phi_c(x) and the degree of the dth-cyclotomic polynomial is \
mathsss2
The parts of this problem form a proof of the fact that if [tex]G[/tex] is a finite subgroup of [tex]F^*[/tex], where [tex]F[/tex] is a field (even if [tex]F[/tex] is infinite), then [tex]G[/tex] cyclic. Assume [tex]|G|=n[/tex].
(a) If [tex]d[/tex] divides [tex]n[/tex], show [tex]x^d-1[/tex] divides [tex]x^n-1[/tex] in [tex]F[x][/tex], and explain why [tex]x^d-1[/tex] has [tex]d[/tex] distinct roots in [tex]G[/tex].
(b) For any [tex]k[/tex] let [tex]\psi(k)[/tex] be the number of elements of [tex]G[/tex] having order [tex]k[/tex]. Explain why [tex]\sum_{c|d}\psi(c)=d=\sum_{c|d}\phi(c)[/tex], where [tex]\phi[/tex] is the Euler [tex]\phi[/tex]-function.
(c) Use Mobius Inversion to conclude [tex]\psi(n)=\phi(n)[/tex]. Why does this tell us [tex]G[/tex] is cyclic?

Here is what I have so far:

a) The first part is trivial [[tex]y - 1[/tex] divides [tex]y^k - 1[/tex], there values of [tex]y[/tex] and [tex]k[/tex] will give us our result - I need to show this]. If [tex]|G| = n[/tex] then the roots of [tex]x^n - 1[/tex] are precisely the elements of [tex]G[/tex], which are distinct. (Note how strong this result is. Specifying the order of [tex]G[/tex] specifies [tex]G[/tex] uniquely.) Since the roots of [tex]x^d - 1[/tex] are a subset of the roots of [tex]x^n - 1[/tex], they must also consist of [tex]d[/tex] distinct elements of [tex]G[/tex].

b) [tex]\sum_{c | d} \psi(c)[/tex] is the number of elements having order dividing [tex]d[/tex], and those are precisely the roots of [tex]x^d - 1[/tex]. On the other hand, [tex]x^d - 1 = \prod_{c | d} \Phi_c(x)[/tex] where [tex]\text{deg } \Phi_c = \phi(c)[/tex].

c) The first part is trivial [we use Möbius inversion to uniquely extract the value of [tex]\psi[/tex] from the equation. But the equation is the same for [tex]\phi[/tex]]. Since [tex]\psi(n) > 0[/tex], [tex]G[/tex] has elements of order exactly [tex]n[/tex].

I am still confused on all of the parts. I am not sure if I am doing this right. Any ideas/comments would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi!
I can not help you with the part of $\psi$ function but yes with the other part.
It is well known that
[tex]x^{n}-1=\prod_{d|n}\Phi_d(x),[/tex] where [tex]\Phi_d[/tex] is the dth-ciclotomic polynomial which has degree [tex]\phi(d)[/tex], in other words, the euler function of d, so know (a) should be striagtforward. Because if d divides n, then each divisor of d is a divisor of n.
(b) Is a fact of degrees, so is by definition.
I suggest to read the info about ciclotomic polynomial at wikipedia or www.mathworld.com

1. What is Mobius Inversion in the context of finite subgroups?

Mobius Inversion is a mathematical technique used to study relationships between two functions that are related through a convolution operation. In the context of finite subgroups, it is used to determine the number of elements in a subgroup that satisfy a given property.

2. How is Mobius Inversion used to find the order of a finite subgroup?

Mobius Inversion involves calculating the Mobius function, which is a multiplicative function that is used to count the number of divisors of a given number. By applying Mobius Inversion to the order formula for finite subgroups, we can determine the order of a subgroup based on the number of elements that satisfy a certain property.

3. Can Mobius Inversion be applied to all finite subgroups?

Yes, Mobius Inversion can be applied to any finite subgroup as long as the subgroup satisfies certain conditions, such as being a subgroup of a finite abelian group. It is a powerful tool in studying the properties of finite subgroups and their elements.

4. What are the limitations of using Mobius Inversion for finite subgroups?

Mobius Inversion can only be applied to finite subgroups that satisfy certain conditions, such as being a subgroup of a finite abelian group. It also requires knowledge of the underlying group structure, which may be difficult to determine in some cases.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Mobius Inversion in the study of finite subgroups?

Yes, Mobius Inversion has various applications in cryptography, number theory, and combinatorics. In particular, it is used in the study of finite fields, which have numerous applications in coding theory and cryptography.