Putting Brackets around fractions LATEX

In summary, to make brackets cover a full fraction in a LaTeX equation, one can use the left and right macros, denoted by \left and \right respectively. Macros are predefined commands in LaTeX, preceded by a backslash, that allow for more complex formatting and functionality.
NoobixCube
I can't seem to make the brackets cover the full fraction when stating a differential, namely

\begin{equation}
(\frac{df}{dt})
\end{equation}

Any tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to tell LaTeX that those parentheses are around the fraction. One way is with the left and right macros:

\left(\frac{df}{dt}\right)

[tex]\left(\frac{df}{dt}\right)[/tex]

Thanks loads!
By the by, what do you mean by macros?

All of those things preceded by a backslash in LaTeX are macros. LaTeX, unfortunately, is a macro language rather than a functional or procedural language. The term 'macro' goes back to the earliest days of computer programming. Some languages (e.g. C and C++) still provide a macro processing capability (#define in C/C++).

Awesome thanks :)

1. What is LATEX?

LATEX is a typesetting system commonly used for creating scientific and mathematical documents. It allows for precise formatting and is especially useful for writing equations and mathematical expressions.

2. Why do I need to put brackets around fractions in LATEX?

In LATEX, brackets are used to group mathematical expressions and indicate the order of operations. Without brackets, the fractions may not be evaluated correctly, leading to incorrect results.

3. How do I put brackets around fractions in LATEX?

To put brackets around a fraction in LATEX, you can use the \left and \right commands before and after the fraction, respectively. For example, \left(\frac{1}{2}\right) will produce a fraction enclosed in brackets.

4. Can I use other symbols instead of brackets for fractions in LATEX?

Yes, LATEX offers a variety of symbols that can be used for grouping expressions, such as parenthesis (), braces {}, and brackets []. However, it is recommended to use brackets for fractions as it is the standard convention in mathematical notation.

5. Are there any situations where I should not put brackets around fractions in LATEX?

In most cases, it is best to put brackets around fractions in LATEX for clarity and to avoid any potential errors. However, if the fraction is a single term or is already enclosed in brackets, then it is not necessary to add additional brackets.